Re: [Czechlist] Difficult phrase

  • Jan Culka
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
      ...a po pravni strance ... means here that also expenses for legal advocating (of the victim or his or her survivors) will be paid by DAS insurance company.
      Honza

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
        Thanks, Josef. That was clear. Would you agree that the phrase "po
        pravni strance" is probably just a throwaway phrase?

        Jamie

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
          Thanks, Honza.

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
            Yep... I think the author meant something like ." .. and as far as legal matters are concerned..", but they got carried away and it came out silly. Either discard or use some sort of "osli mustek" like the one above..

            Thanks, Josef. That was clear. Would you agree that the phrase "po
            pravni strance" is probably just a throwaway phrase?

            Jamie

            On Apr 6, 2009, at 10:04 AM, joe@... wrote:

            > Insurance by D.A.S. is a special beast that covers your attorney's
            > fees.
            > In other words, "Pojisteni pravni ochrany" means that if you get
            > into the
            > kind of trouble that is covered by the policy in question, D.A.S.
            > will get
            > you a lawyer and pay his/her fees.
            >
            > HTH,
            > Josef
            >

            >> I have a long, snaking sentence, the end of which I'm having trouble
            >> interpreting.
            >>
            >> It starts out by saying that the XYZ card automatically insures the
            >> driver and his survivors against permanent or fatal consequences of
            >> auto accidents. Then the sentence ends with this:
            >>
            >> "a po právní stránce Pojistením právní ochrany od pojistovny
            >> D.A.S. (limit 100 tis.)."
            >>
            >> I'm having trouble with "a po pravni strance". It seems to me this
            >> is
            >> a throwaway phrase, and that I could just say that it provides legal
            >> protection insurance from D.A.S. up to 100,000 of something (probably
            >> CZK).
            >>
            >> Any thoughts?
            >>
            >> Thank you.
            >>
            >> Jamie

          • Michael Grant
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 7, 2009
              That's more or less how I read it. You'll probably want to break the
              sentence up, and you can probably safely leave "po právní stránce"
              out, but if you decide to leave it in, something like "as for the
              legal aspects" should do it. Prepaid legal seems to be pretty common
              as an option with other kinds of insurance products in the
              German-speaking world, and I suppose the Czechs have picked it up (if
              they haven't had it all along).

              Michael

              On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 8:41 AM, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
              > I have a long, snaking sentence, the end of which I'm having trouble
              > interpreting.
              >
              > It starts out by saying that the XYZ card automatically insures the
              > driver and his survivors against permanent or fatal consequences of
              > auto accidents. Then the sentence ends with this:
              >
              > "a po právní stránce Pojistením právní ochrany od pojistovny
              > D.A.S. (limit 100 tis.)."
              >
              > I'm having trouble with "a po pravni strance". It seems to me this is
              > a throwaway phrase, and that I could just say that it provides legal
              > protection insurance from D.A.S. up to 100,000 of something (probably
              > CZK).
              >
              > Any thoughts?
              >
              > Thank you.

              You have to be happy with what you have to be happy with what you have
              to be happy with.