Re: [Czechlist] Difficult phrase

  • Jan Culka
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
      ...a po pravni strance ... means here that also expenses for legal advocating (of the victim or his or her survivors) will be paid by DAS insurance company.
      Honza

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
        If it's the language of marketing I think you're right, Jamie, but
        let's hear from the native speakers...

        Gerry

        On 06/04/2009, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:

        > I have a long, snaking sentence, the end of which I'm having trouble
        > interpreting.
        >
        > It starts out by saying that the XYZ card automatically insures the
        > driver and his survivors against permanent or fatal consequences of
        > auto accidents. Then the sentence ends with this:
        >
        > "a po právní stránce Pojistením právní ochrany od pojistovny
        > D.A.S. (limit 100 tis.)."
        >
        > I'm having trouble with "a po pravni strance". It seems to me this is
        > a throwaway phrase, and that I could just say that it provides legal
        > protection insurance from D.A.S. up to 100,000 of something (probably
        > CZK).
        >
        > Any thoughts?
        >
        > Thank you.

        Czech-In Translations
        V lesíčku 5
        150 00 Prague 5
        Czech Republic
        Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194

        To see a World in a Grain of Sand
        And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
        Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
        And Eternity in an hour.
      • joe@hw.cz
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
          Insurance by D.A.S. is a special beast that covers your attorney's fees.
          In other words, "Pojisteni pravni ochrany" means that if you get into the
          kind of trouble that is covered by the policy in question, D.A.S. will get
          you a lawyer and pay his/her fees.

          HTH,
          Josef

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
            Thanks, Josef. That was clear. Would you agree that the phrase "po
            pravni strance" is probably just a throwaway phrase?

            Jamie

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
              Thanks, Honza.

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
                Yep... I think the author meant something like ." .. and as far as legal matters are concerned..", but they got carried away and it came out silly. Either discard or use some sort of "osli mustek" like the one above..

                Thanks, Josef. That was clear. Would you agree that the phrase "po
                pravni strance" is probably just a throwaway phrase?

                Jamie

                On Apr 6, 2009, at 10:04 AM, joe@... wrote:

                > Insurance by D.A.S. is a special beast that covers your attorney's
                > fees.
                > In other words, "Pojisteni pravni ochrany" means that if you get
                > into the
                > kind of trouble that is covered by the policy in question, D.A.S.
                > will get
                > you a lawyer and pay his/her fees.
                >
                > HTH,
                > Josef
                >

                >> I have a long, snaking sentence, the end of which I'm having trouble
                >> interpreting.
                >>
                >> It starts out by saying that the XYZ card automatically insures the
                >> driver and his survivors against permanent or fatal consequences of
                >> auto accidents. Then the sentence ends with this:
                >>
                >> "a po právní stránce Pojistením právní ochrany od pojistovny
                >> D.A.S. (limit 100 tis.)."
                >>
                >> I'm having trouble with "a po pravni strance". It seems to me this
                >> is
                >> a throwaway phrase, and that I could just say that it provides legal
                >> protection insurance from D.A.S. up to 100,000 of something (probably
                >> CZK).
                >>
                >> Any thoughts?
                >>
                >> Thank you.
                >>
                >> Jamie

              • Michael Grant
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 7, 2009
                  That's more or less how I read it. You'll probably want to break the
                  sentence up, and you can probably safely leave "po právní stránce"
                  out, but if you decide to leave it in, something like "as for the
                  legal aspects" should do it. Prepaid legal seems to be pretty common
                  as an option with other kinds of insurance products in the
                  German-speaking world, and I suppose the Czechs have picked it up (if
                  they haven't had it all along).

                  Michael

                  On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 8:41 AM, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
                  > I have a long, snaking sentence, the end of which I'm having trouble
                  > interpreting.
                  >
                  > It starts out by saying that the XYZ card automatically insures the
                  > driver and his survivors against permanent or fatal consequences of
                  > auto accidents. Then the sentence ends with this:
                  >
                  > "a po právní stránce Pojistením právní ochrany od pojistovny
                  > D.A.S. (limit 100 tis.)."
                  >
                  > I'm having trouble with "a po pravni strance". It seems to me this is
                  > a throwaway phrase, and that I could just say that it provides legal
                  > protection insurance from D.A.S. up to 100,000 of something (probably
                  > CZK).
                  >
                  > Any thoughts?
                  >
                  > Thank you.

                  You have to be happy with what you have to be happy with what you have
                  to be happy with.