Zasobnik travy

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
      Is a "zasobnik travy" the part of a lawn mower Americans call a "grass
      catcher"?

      Thanks.

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
        It's a bit of a stretch... we normally call that part "kos na travu" ... zasobnik travy sounds like something that holds the grass and from where the grass is dispensed - in an inverted lawnmower sort of thing (which would plant the grass clippings back in) :)

        ... but it's probably what the writer meant..

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
          Your description is confusing me. It sounds to me as if this thing is
          catching and holding the grass.

          All I have is a parts list, and the thing has a frame, just like a
          grass catcher, but it also has pipes and connectors to lead to the
          zasobnik.

          I can't find a picture of one anywhere. All I can find are photos of
          riding mowers that are claimed to have a zasobnik travy, and I can
          only assume that the zasobnik is the grass catcher or the grass
          collector. It would have pipes coming up from the area of the blade.

          Jamie

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
            The inverted lawn mower was intended as a joke... the only thinkg I can think of that "zasobnik na travu" could be is the grass collector (where the clippings are collected for you to throw away so that you don't have to rake them..)

            That is called "kos na travu" in CZ..

            Zasobnik is usually something that holds some useful substance that's dispensed/used by the machine to do something (zasobnik na zrni seciho stroje)..

            Very theoretically, the grass clippings could be collected in the zasobnik/catcher at one setting and then used/recycled back onto the lawn at some other place for nutrition - in that case it would indeed be correct to call it a zasobnik, but onbly at the second phase of the process...

            If you want to cut your clippings up and let them fall onto the lawn as nutritient, you typically block the channel that feeds the clippings from thge blade area to the catcher, they keep rotating around, are cut up a bit more and then they fall onto the lawn (and make it thick and mossy in a while)..

            So if the manual suggests some sort of complicated arrangements whereby the clippings are collected in the zasobnik in one mode and then fed back to the blade area to be dispensed, it would be correct to call it zasobnik, otherwise it's juyst bad writing and what they meant was kos na travu, i.e. catcher..

            I'm 95% sure it's the later, but one never knows these days, constant innovation..

            I only have a catcher on my mower, will have to pull it out soon..

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
              The blade you were talking about is called a "mulching blade"; just
              about all American mowers are made with them now.

              From looking at this parts list, I'm getting the idea that the
              zasobnik serves the same purpose as the "kos na travu" but that it's
              just not baskety enough to be called that.

              Thanks for your help, as always.

              Jamie

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
                Hi Jamie:

                I can imagine a different meaning of zasobnik travy, but unless the context
                suggests otherwise, it is the same as grass catcher...

                06:06:00

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
                  Thanks, Jirka. I'm calling it a "grass collector" to give it an air
                  of sophistication. :-)

                  Jamie

                  On Apr 1, 2009, at 12:26 PM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                  > Hi Jamie:
                  >
                  > I can imagine a different meaning of zasobnik travy, but unless the
                  > context
                  > suggests otherwise, it is the same as grass catcher...
                  >
                  > Jirka Bolech

                  > 04/01/09
                  > 06:06:00

                • Gerald Turner
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
                    I'd endorse that.

                    Gerry

                    On 01/04/2009, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks, Jirka. I'm calling it a "grass collector" to give it an air
                    > of sophistication. :-)
                    >
                    > Jamie
                    >
                    > On Apr 1, 2009, at 12:26 PM, Jirka Bolech wrote:
                    >
                    > > Hi Jamie:
                    > >
                    > > I can imagine a different meaning of zasobnik travy, but unless the
                    > > context
                    > > suggests otherwise, it is the same as grass catcher...
                    > >
                    > > Jirka Bolech

                    > > 04/01/09
                    > > 06:06:00

                    Czech-In Translations
                    V lesíčku 5
                    150 00 Prague 5
                    Czech Republic
                    Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194

                    To see a World in a Grain of Sand
                    And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
                    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
                    And Eternity in an hour.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
                      It doesn't have to look baskety to be called kos na travu Kos na travu is the "terminus technicus"... I guess the first ones did look that way and now anything that serves that purpose is just called that, even if it looks like a spaceship... one of those things..

                      The blade you were talking about is called a "mulching blade"; just
                      about all American mowers are made with them now.

                      From looking at this parts list, I'm getting the idea that the