Por. c.

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4, 2009
      Can anyone tell me what "Por^. c^." is the abbreviation for? I know
      it's a number, but what kind?

      The text involves a contract to clean a building.

      Also, is there any real difference between "uklid" and "cisteni" of a
      building? It sounds to me like one involves clearing it out, and the
      other involves cleaning in the sense of sanitizing it. Any ideas?

      Thanks.

      Jamie
    • Alena Rysková 2e
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 4, 2009
        por.c. je poradove cislo - sequence number
        Alena

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 4, 2009
          Thank you, Alena. Somehow I guessed that in the meantime. It's good
          to have confirmation.

          Jamie

          On Mar 4, 2009, at 8:38 AM, Alena Rysková 2e wrote:

          > por.c. je poradove cislo - sequence number
          > Alena

        • Josef Hlavac
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 4, 2009
            Por. c. = Por^adove' c^9'slo (ordinal number, sequence number, serial
            number - not sure what it is called in EN.)

            The usual meaning of "uklid" is the general janitorial work, e.g.
            emptying trashcans, sweeping, dusting, mopping the floor, etc. It can
            also mean cleaning up the mess resulting from some masonry or other
            work. "Cisteni" is usually a more specialized or sophisticated cleaning
            process - you would commonly see this in maintenance instructions to
            machinery ("cistit XXX kazde 2 mesice" etc.). However, I don't quite see
            how to apply "cisteni" to a building, in this context it sounds rather
            awkward.

            HTH,
            Josef

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 4, 2009
              On Mar 4, 2009, at 8:48 AM, Josef Hlavac wrote:

              > Por. c. = Por^adove' c^9'slo (ordinal number, sequence number, serial
              > number - not sure what it is called in EN.)

              Which of those terms is used in English depends on the context.
              Unfortunately, there's no context.

              > The usual meaning of "uklid" is the general janitorial work, e.g.
              > emptying trashcans, sweeping, dusting, mopping the floor, etc. It can
              > also mean cleaning up the mess resulting from some masonry or other
              > work. "Cisteni" is usually a more specialized or sophisticated
              > cleaning
              > process - you would commonly see this in maintenance instructions to
              > machinery ("cistit XXX kazde 2 mesice" etc.). However, I don't quite
              > see
              > how to apply "cisteni" to a building, in this context it sounds rather
              > awkward.

              I thought it sounded odd, so I translated "Uklid a cisteni objektu" as
              "Cleaning the building", which will probably get me into trouble due
              to a shortage of nouns.

              Thanks.

              Jamie
            • spektrum2002
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 4, 2009
                Pod cistenim budovy bych si hlavne predstavoval myti oken, sten apod.
                Ale neni to jednoznacne.
                Petr A.

                > Can anyone tell me what "Por^. c^." is the abbreviation for? I know
                > it's a number, but what kind?
                >
                > The text involves a contract to clean a building.
                >
                > Also, is there any real difference between "uklid" and "cisteni" of a
                > building? It sounds to me like one involves clearing it out, and the
                > other involves cleaning in the sense of sanitizing it. Any ideas?
                >
                > Thanks.
                >
                > Jamie

              • Josef Hlavac
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 4, 2009
                  James Kirchner wrote:
                  >> Por. c. = Por^adove' c^9'slo (ordinal number, sequence number, serial
                  >> number - not sure what it is called in EN.
                  > Which of those terms is used in English depends on the context.
                  > Unfortunately, there's no context.

                  I'd say that in that case, a simple "No." might work quite well.

                  J.
                • grabanrad
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 4, 2009
                    Could something like "tidying up and cleaning of the premises" work,
                    Jamie?

                    Rad

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 4, 2009
                      Your phrase makes the distinction clear, but "tidying up" wouldn't be
                      a term used in a professional context.

                      Jamie