Re: [Czechlist] Re: Psychoanalysis of a project manager

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2009
      When I worked in business-to-business magazine publishing, mainly for
      Detroit industry, we didn't have to lay out the target language
      versions over again, because our designers were smart enough to ask
      the translation agency rep how much "air" to leave in their layouts to
      accommodate the various languages. (And, man, that rep really knew
      his job!) So the English design used to look light and airy, while
      the French, Spanish and German usually had all the text space filled,
      but all the layouts looked like they were supposed to be that way, and
      we didn't have to cut. The challenge was Chinese, because that
      always came out about a third shorter.

      The funny part was how much the length would vary just among
      individual translators. When we had General Motors Canada's internal
      translation department do the French, it would add a third to a half
      to the length of the text. Sometimes a headline would go from one
      line to three or four lines. I would have to call and coach the
      translator into making the text more compact somehow. Then the GM
      client had us switch to a reputable private translation house in
      Toronto, and they handed over French text that was the same length or
      shorter than the English without any loss or change in meaning. It
      was astonishing.

      Jamie