Re: [Czechlist] Re: Psychoanalysis of a project manager

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2009
      Thanks. I think that in this case there was no need to convert the
      file to another format. My guess is that she just wants it to stay in
      the same format and assumes that not every translator can convert a
      PDF file or maintain the format of a Word file.

      I'll ask her next time.

      Jamie

    • Jaroslav Suchánek
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2009
        The source files (for technical translations, manuals, etc.) are
        generally distributed in some DTP format (Pagemaker, FrameMaker in
        past years, Indesign in these days, according to my experience).
        PDF is the result replacing a hardcopy, and/or just for translator's
        reference (to be able to see the tables, pictures, layout, etc. in
        overall context).
        Professional CAT tools have their input conversion interface, and DTP
        files conversion into translation enviroment is usually very simple,
        and maintaining of DTP tags, etc. is quite reliable. Some of these
        tools are more or less user-friendly for us, and TagEditor is
        probably the most unfriendly, AFAIK.
        The PDF>Word conversion is unnecessary and ineffective process, that
        causes DTP layout loss/damaging, and requests manual conversion of
        translated DOC file back to the DTP software and clients wants to
        omit that (the work of DTP experts is quite expensive too).
        Therefore I quite understand the PM behaviour you mentioned. She sent
        you the TTX files for translation (and PDF as a print preview only)
        and expected the same file format she could smoothly convert into
        original DTP. All my clients work the same way.
        HTH
        Jarda

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2009
          100% seconded. And as I've mentioned already, MemoQ should be able to
          handle TTX files - I don't understand why to work in Tag Dreaditor....

          Martin

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 2, 2009
            Thanks, guys.

            I would have been happy if she'd sent a TTX file, which I could have
            done in MemoQ, but she sent it as an ITD file, which MemoQ wouldn't
            import. I tried exporting it to TTX in the TagEditor, which I (maybe
            erroneously) understand was once possible, but isn't in Trados 2007.

            I understand why someone would take a DTP file and create a TTX file
            out of it. That's not controversial.

            However, what happened here was that someone had extracted an article
            from the PDF edition of some magazine, and they wanted it reproduced
            in more or less the same format.

            In my world it often happens that the end client's company did the DTP
            and created the PDF, and then the DTP went bye-bye somehow, nobody
            knows where it is, and they want you to produce something from the PDF
            that kinda sorta resembles the DTP. In my experience, these people
            have no clue how the PDF was born or, in computer terms, who the mommy
            and daddy are.

            Another thing that happens (especially with German companies, for some
            reason) is that one department does the original DTP, produces the PDF
            and distributes it to the other departments. Then another department
            needs it translated and wants the format preserved, but due to
            security concerns or some other bureaucratic issue, the originating
            department won't let go of the original DTP. The other department
            then wants a close facsimile of the PDF produced by the translation
            house, not actually realizing what's involved.

            Jamie

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 3, 2009
              Yeah, the curse of the .pdf that lost its parents ...

              Trouble is people who know the lineage (how the .pdf was born) seldom have anything to do with the translation process, or any other use of the final document... they SHOULD anticipate some use and SHOULD make sure the text is either available as TXT, or DTP, but they often don't care.. then the secretary sends you a pdf asking for the translation "to be the same" without realising different languages lead to different structures and lengths (German and Russian being the best example, sometimes up to 50% size increase compared to English or Czech)..

              IMHO even with the best DTP process, tags and god knows what, you can't expect a translation to come out in a perfect layout and all documents for publication should be laid out again in the target language..

              The only thing that's slightly surprising about your story is that your person works in an agency and should be aware of these issues... some of these people are not and some choose not to be and some just pile customers' #@!~ onto your head instead of dealing with it, not sure which is worse..

              -

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 3, 2009
                When I worked in business-to-business magazine publishing, mainly for
                Detroit industry, we didn't have to lay out the target language
                versions over again, because our designers were smart enough to ask
                the translation agency rep how much "air" to leave in their layouts to
                accommodate the various languages. (And, man, that rep really knew
                his job!) So the English design used to look light and airy, while
                the French, Spanish and German usually had all the text space filled,
                but all the layouts looked like they were supposed to be that way, and
                we didn't have to cut. The challenge was Chinese, because that
                always came out about a third shorter.

                The funny part was how much the length would vary just among
                individual translators. When we had General Motors Canada's internal
                translation department do the French, it would add a third to a half
                to the length of the text. Sometimes a headline would go from one
                line to three or four lines. I would have to call and coach the
                translator into making the text more compact somehow. Then the GM
                client had us switch to a reputable private translation house in
                Toronto, and they handed over French text that was the same length or
                shorter than the English without any loss or change in meaning. It
                was astonishing.

                Jamie