Psychoanalysis of a project manager

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2009
      Guys,

      I'm just trying to psychoanalyze a project manager in a different
      state who sends me work, and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas.

      If most of my clients have a PDF file that's from electronic text,
      they normally send me the PDF as it is. I then convert it to Word or
      something, maintaining the formatting as best as the programs will
      allow, import it into my preferred CAT tool, export it back to Word
      and send it back.

      I've got some lady on the west coast who sends me the PDF along with a
      TagEditor file. What she apparently does is convert the PDF file to
      Word, then she imports it to TagEditor, and finally she sends me the
      PDF along with the TagEditor file.

      The TagEditor is infuriating to work in, and I think it triples the
      time it takes me to do a job, as well as lowering my accuracy. This
      past time I complained about getting a TagEditor file, and she sent me
      the Word file she'd made from the PDF. I did it in another tool
      (MemoQ this time), and gave the translation back to her with all the
      formatting intact.

      My question would be this: Why does this lady go through all those
      steps and send me the horrible TagEditor file instead of just giving
      me the PDF or Word file and asking me if I can give it back in the
      same format, and maybe with TM? What in the mind of a project manager
      would motivate this?

      Thanks for any insights.

      Jamie
    • kzgafas
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2009
        I guess best thing is to ask her. But it seems that there is reason
        why she wants to preserve formatting tags. She will be probably
        DTPing translation into the original look. TaqEditor also allows to
        convert to HTML and upload on the web. Just ask her.

        K.

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2009
          Thanks. I think that in this case there was no need to convert the
          file to another format. My guess is that she just wants it to stay in
          the same format and assumes that not every translator can convert a
          PDF file or maintain the format of a Word file.

          I'll ask her next time.

          Jamie

        • Jaroslav Suchánek
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 2, 2009
            The source files (for technical translations, manuals, etc.) are
            generally distributed in some DTP format (Pagemaker, FrameMaker in
            past years, Indesign in these days, according to my experience).
            PDF is the result replacing a hardcopy, and/or just for translator's
            reference (to be able to see the tables, pictures, layout, etc. in
            overall context).
            Professional CAT tools have their input conversion interface, and DTP
            files conversion into translation enviroment is usually very simple,
            and maintaining of DTP tags, etc. is quite reliable. Some of these
            tools are more or less user-friendly for us, and TagEditor is
            probably the most unfriendly, AFAIK.
            The PDF>Word conversion is unnecessary and ineffective process, that
            causes DTP layout loss/damaging, and requests manual conversion of
            translated DOC file back to the DTP software and clients wants to
            omit that (the work of DTP experts is quite expensive too).
            Therefore I quite understand the PM behaviour you mentioned. She sent
            you the TTX files for translation (and PDF as a print preview only)
            and expected the same file format she could smoothly convert into
            original DTP. All my clients work the same way.
            HTH
            Jarda

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 2, 2009
              100% seconded. And as I've mentioned already, MemoQ should be able to
              handle TTX files - I don't understand why to work in Tag Dreaditor....

              Martin

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 2, 2009
                Thanks, guys.

                I would have been happy if she'd sent a TTX file, which I could have
                done in MemoQ, but she sent it as an ITD file, which MemoQ wouldn't
                import. I tried exporting it to TTX in the TagEditor, which I (maybe
                erroneously) understand was once possible, but isn't in Trados 2007.

                I understand why someone would take a DTP file and create a TTX file
                out of it. That's not controversial.

                However, what happened here was that someone had extracted an article
                from the PDF edition of some magazine, and they wanted it reproduced
                in more or less the same format.

                In my world it often happens that the end client's company did the DTP
                and created the PDF, and then the DTP went bye-bye somehow, nobody
                knows where it is, and they want you to produce something from the PDF
                that kinda sorta resembles the DTP. In my experience, these people
                have no clue how the PDF was born or, in computer terms, who the mommy
                and daddy are.

                Another thing that happens (especially with German companies, for some
                reason) is that one department does the original DTP, produces the PDF
                and distributes it to the other departments. Then another department
                needs it translated and wants the format preserved, but due to
                security concerns or some other bureaucratic issue, the originating
                department won't let go of the original DTP. The other department
                then wants a close facsimile of the PDF produced by the translation
                house, not actually realizing what's involved.

                Jamie

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 3, 2009
                  Yeah, the curse of the .pdf that lost its parents ...

                  Trouble is people who know the lineage (how the .pdf was born) seldom have anything to do with the translation process, or any other use of the final document... they SHOULD anticipate some use and SHOULD make sure the text is either available as TXT, or DTP, but they often don't care.. then the secretary sends you a pdf asking for the translation "to be the same" without realising different languages lead to different structures and lengths (German and Russian being the best example, sometimes up to 50% size increase compared to English or Czech)..

                  IMHO even with the best DTP process, tags and god knows what, you can't expect a translation to come out in a perfect layout and all documents for publication should be laid out again in the target language..

                  The only thing that's slightly surprising about your story is that your person works in an agency and should be aware of these issues... some of these people are not and some choose not to be and some just pile customers' #@!~ onto your head instead of dealing with it, not sure which is worse..

                  -

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 3, 2009
                    When I worked in business-to-business magazine publishing, mainly for
                    Detroit industry, we didn't have to lay out the target language
                    versions over again, because our designers were smart enough to ask
                    the translation agency rep how much "air" to leave in their layouts to
                    accommodate the various languages. (And, man, that rep really knew
                    his job!) So the English design used to look light and airy, while
                    the French, Spanish and German usually had all the text space filled,
                    but all the layouts looked like they were supposed to be that way, and
                    we didn't have to cut. The challenge was Chinese, because that
                    always came out about a third shorter.

                    The funny part was how much the length would vary just among
                    individual translators. When we had General Motors Canada's internal
                    translation department do the French, it would add a third to a half
                    to the length of the text. Sometimes a headline would go from one
                    line to three or four lines. I would have to call and coach the
                    translator into making the text more compact somehow. Then the GM
                    client had us switch to a reputable private translation house in
                    Toronto, and they handed over French text that was the same length or
                    shorter than the English without any loss or change in meaning. It
                    was astonishing.

                    Jamie