Re: [Czechlist] Re: stiff your upper lip

    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
      This is what I meant when I suggested studeny cumak as one of possible
      translations for one of many forms of SUJ:

      One who has a stiff upper lip displays fortitude in the face of adversity,
      or ***exercises self-restraint in the expression of emotion****

      But I agree studeny cumak might be a bit strong and is nearly always
      negative, whereas SUJ is meant to be positive, at least among BR ENG lips,
      so to speak..

    • Sarka Rubkova
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
        Nebo se da taky hezky cesky rici "nakrcil nos"

        Sarka

        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
          Ja mam knizku od George Mikese "How to be an alien". Neni to ta, co
          jsi cetl?
          Petr A.

          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
            Jo je, tak SUJ byla predpokladam jen kapitola? Kazdopadne to tam nekde musi byt..

            Ja mam knizku od George Mikese "How to be an alien". Neni to ta, co
            jsi cetl?
            Petr A.
            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Libor Zajíèek" <libore@...> wrote:

            > Tu knihu od George Miklóse jsem kdysi èetl, ale neuvìdomil jsem si, ¾e
            > se tak jmenuje.

          • hahna123
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 5, 2009
              Hi Jamie,

              I just recently joined this group and I looooved you "reversed culture
              shock" post! What a hoot!

              My name is Tanja I am Czech but have been living in the US for 11
              years now. I have a blog for Czech and Slovaks (or anyone who is
              interested in our culture) which helps people connect with their
              Czech/Slovak roots while living abroad. One of my categories is called
              the "Stories of others" (where Jana from this group contributes on
              regular basis ;) and your story would be a great addition!!! Can I
              post it please? It would be anonymous of course (unless you want it
              otherwise).

              Thank you,

              Tanja

              PS: blog name is Czechmate Diary if you want to Czech it out
              (www.czechmatediary.cz)
            • Romana
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 5, 2009
                Hi Tanja,

                Yes, I found this thread very interesting and entertaining, too! If you want
                any more material, you are welcome to contact me directly at
                translators@..., and I will tell you my whole story. In short: Born
                in CZ to Czech parents, grown up in Austria and Germany from age of 7 (but
                always maintained close links to the CZ), found a new (the perfect) home in
                Australia at age 38 (year 2000). My apologies to all other readers, I wasn't
                able to find the way to contact Tanja directly. (Can't make any sense of
                your 'PS', dear Tanja, either.)

                Best regards,

                Romana

                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 5, 2009
                  If anyone is interested in the Tanja´s blog, it is .com, not .cz!
                  Honza

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 6, 2009
                    Thanks Honza!
                    Diky Honzo!

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 6, 2009
                      You are welcome, Tanja!
                      H.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 6, 2009
                        Not "reversed" culture shock. It's "reverse" culture shock.

                      • Romana
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 6, 2009
                          Of course, Jamie, thanks for the correction!

                          Romana