Re: stiff your upper lip

    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@...> wrote:

      > As Jamie points out, "to stiff somebody" is a colloquial expression
      > (originally AmEng, I presume) meaning "fail to pay somebody".

      Yeah, okay, amongst other things. If you are left standing by somebody
      then you have also been "stood up". Living context:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN45OjB-cCU

      :-0

      M.
    • Libor Zajíček
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
        Hola,

        no já jsem to slyšel v jiném smyslu. Asi jako "zatnout zuby a jít"
        apod. Ale z jiných výskytů jsem hádal i na "být tvrdý" anebo i
        "studený čumák". Eventuelně "poker face". Ani nevím, je-li toto
        czenglish nebo opravdový anglicismus.
        Dále jsem viděl pořad o britském labelu toho jména, ale nepochopil
        jsem, co chtěli tím názvem říct.

        Tu knihu od George Miklóse jsem kdysi četl, ale neuvědomil jsem si, že
        se tak jmenuje.

        Dík za příspěvky
        Libor

        2009/1/2 Matej Klimes <mklimes@...>:
        > No, radsi nechci vedet, jake preklady si videl, ale "stiff upper lip" je
        > esencialni (staro)britska vlastnost, jako ze kdyz se neco nedari, kdyz by
        > (American ci jiny cizinec) reagoval emocionalne, udela spravny Brit takovy
        > jako usklebek, ktery spociva v naspuleni pusy pomoci "ztvrdnuteho horniho
        > rtu" (dovedu si predstavit, ze to tak nejaky blazen i preklada..) u nas
        > bychom mozna rekli v nekterych pripadech studeny cumak, flegmatik, atd.,
        > podle konkretni situace.. podle Wiki ten vyraz pochazi z Ameriky, ale
        > zdomacnel i v BR ENG, tam samozrejme s o trochu lepsimi konotacemi..
        >
        > V prenesenem ss se to pak pouziva pro chovani nebo i osobu ktera se chova
        > staromilskym zpusobem, popripade i pro nekoho, kdo je "pravy Brit"
        > (pozitivne i negativne, ale spis negativne), takze stiff your upper lip by
        > mohlo byt neco jako "udelejte ze sebe praveho anglickeho snoba", zvlast
        > pokud to napise american :)
        >
        > Jedem Madar, co se jmenuje George Miklos, byl hodne vzdelany a emigroval do
        > Anglie (asi pred valkou), napsal kouzelnou knizecku "Stiff Upper Lip", ve
        > ktere mluvi o zvlastnostech v chovani a zivote Britu asi trochu jako ten
        > Anglan, co ted pise ty knihy o Francouzich (A year in the Merde atd.),
        > akorat s trochou vice porozumeni a ucty, holt tricata leta.. doporucuju, i
        > kdyz hodne z tech rozdilu uz davno neplati..

        > \

        _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

        Comics "Příběh proroka Jonáše" vyšel!
        http://picasaweb.google.com/libore/PBHProrokaJonE

        Filmy "L´uomo sandaluto", "2. příchod J. Wericha" a "Co jsme viděli na
        Ukrajině" nyní k vidění přímo na internetu:
        http://www.tv-mis.cz
        Více o filmech: http://www.liborzajicek.wz.cz
      • Sarka Rubkova
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
          Ja bych rekla "Ztuhly mu rysy"

          Sarka

          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
            Like he says, it depends on the context, but I think you would have to be a bit careful using "studeny cumak"!

            I was thinking about a situation where a bit of emotion would normally be displayed, (by most people in some other countries), but where a Briton just smirks, raises an eyebrow, or does the stiff upper lip thing (is it actually done, or is it just a figure of speecvh??)... I agree studeny cumak is a bit specific, but it might be OK to describe one tiny aspect of SUL, if from an outsider's perspective and a bit pejoratively.. (which would be the way Americans would have meant SUJ when they came up with it, I suppose??)

            BTW Jamie, you're right about different expressions being used in the US, but this one was meant to describe Brits only, so it wouldn't be used at home unless a Briton was the subject, plus it caught on in England and became one of these "Brit. Eng expressions" Americans would laugh at, I suppose..

            Other nations may think it implies coldness,

            Yes, that's what an average Czech will think if they don't speak enopugh Eng and have not lived in Britain..

            but we Brits are quite proud of our stiff upper lip - not complaining, getting on with things, fortitude in adversity and all that.
            ... isn't it one of those old things that everybody clings to, though? Not saying I disagree or not like it, but the younger generations in UK seem to be a bit spoiled to bother with things like these..

            And for Britons a "stiff upper lip" is not something that marks you out as a snob - that is if you have your nose in the air.
            ... fair enough, it wouldn't among Brits, but it does/can have that feel (which may or may not be legitimate) to a continental person, as in someone who's too cool to be bothered - Britons wouldn't probably use SUJ in this context, but others may??

            I wish I could find my copy of that Miklos book, I'm sure he has an interesting definition..

            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
              This is what I meant when I suggested studeny cumak as one of possible
              translations for one of many forms of SUJ:

              One who has a stiff upper lip displays fortitude in the face of adversity,
              or ***exercises self-restraint in the expression of emotion****

              But I agree studeny cumak might be a bit strong and is nearly always
              negative, whereas SUJ is meant to be positive, at least among BR ENG lips,
              so to speak..

            • Sarka Rubkova
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
                Nebo se da taky hezky cesky rici "nakrcil nos"

                Sarka

                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
                  Ja mam knizku od George Mikese "How to be an alien". Neni to ta, co
                  jsi cetl?
                  Petr A.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
                    Jo je, tak SUJ byla predpokladam jen kapitola? Kazdopadne to tam nekde musi byt..

                    Ja mam knizku od George Mikese "How to be an alien". Neni to ta, co
                    jsi cetl?
                    Petr A.
                    --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Libor Zajíèek" <libore@...> wrote:

                    > Tu knihu od George Miklóse jsem kdysi èetl, ale neuvìdomil jsem si, ¾e
                    > se tak jmenuje.

                  • hahna123
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 5, 2009
                      Hi Jamie,

                      I just recently joined this group and I looooved you "reversed culture
                      shock" post! What a hoot!

                      My name is Tanja I am Czech but have been living in the US for 11
                      years now. I have a blog for Czech and Slovaks (or anyone who is
                      interested in our culture) which helps people connect with their
                      Czech/Slovak roots while living abroad. One of my categories is called
                      the "Stories of others" (where Jana from this group contributes on
                      regular basis ;) and your story would be a great addition!!! Can I
                      post it please? It would be anonymous of course (unless you want it
                      otherwise).

                      Thank you,

                      Tanja

                      PS: blog name is Czechmate Diary if you want to Czech it out
                      (www.czechmatediary.cz)
                    • Romana
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 5, 2009
                        Hi Tanja,

                        Yes, I found this thread very interesting and entertaining, too! If you want
                        any more material, you are welcome to contact me directly at
                        translators@..., and I will tell you my whole story. In short: Born
                        in CZ to Czech parents, grown up in Austria and Germany from age of 7 (but
                        always maintained close links to the CZ), found a new (the perfect) home in
                        Australia at age 38 (year 2000). My apologies to all other readers, I wasn't
                        able to find the way to contact Tanja directly. (Can't make any sense of
                        your 'PS', dear Tanja, either.)

                        Best regards,

                        Romana

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 5, 2009
                          If anyone is interested in the Tanja´s blog, it is .com, not .cz!
                          Honza

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 6, 2009
                            Thanks Honza!
                            Diky Honzo!

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 6, 2009
                              You are welcome, Tanja!
                              H.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 6, 2009
                                Not "reversed" culture shock. It's "reverse" culture shock.

                              • Romana
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 6, 2009
                                  Of course, Jamie, thanks for the correction!

                                  Romana