Re: [Czechlist] Re: stiff your upper lip

  • Charlie Stanford
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
      Must be American English then Jamie - "stiff" as a verb sounds very strange to a British ear.
      Matej gives a very good explanation but there are a couple of things I don't go along with. Like he says, it depends on the context, but I think you would have to be a bit careful using "studeny cumak"! Other nations may think it implies coldness, but we Brits are quite proud of our stiff upper lip - not complaining, getting on with things, fortitude in adversity and all that. And for Britons a "stiff upper lip" is not something that marks you out as a snob - that is if you have your nose in the air.

      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
        In AE, if you stiff a waitress it means you have walked off without
        leaving her a tip. If you stiff your date, it means you never arrive
        and leave him or her waiting; we also call this jilting the person.

        Jamie

        On Jan 2, 2009, at 6:19 AM, Charlie Stanford wrote:

        > Must be American English then Jamie - "stiff" as a verb sounds very
        > strange to a British ear.
        > Matej gives a very good explanation but there are a couple of things
        > I don't go along with. Like he says, it depends on the context, but
        > I think you would have to be a bit careful using "studeny cumak"!
        > Other nations may think it implies coldness, but we Brits are quite
        > proud of our stiff upper lip - not complaining, getting on with
        > things, fortitude in adversity and all that. And for Britons a
        > "stiff upper lip" is not something that marks you out as a snob -
        > that is if you have your nose in the air.

      • daniela.vranova
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
          I agree, studeny cumak is not appropriate. It's rather zatnout zuby or something similar.
          Daniela

          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Libor Zajíèek" <libore@...> wrote:

            > Well, thanks, but the reason why I am asking a question here is that I
            > hope to get a "living context" - how you use it, how you feel it. But
            > anyway thank a lot.
            > Libor

            Okay, for example, conditions at work are really lousy but I'm leaving
            in the near future, so in the meantime I just have to keep a stiff
            upper lip and get on with it.

            An alternative strategy is to "grin and bear it". :->

            "Stiff your upper lip" sounds to me at best like an ad hoc form used
            by somebody who thinks it is clever to "verb adjectives". :-) Not very
            frequently found. "Stiffen" is normally the verb, though the phrase
            "keep a stiff upper lip" is more common in practice.

            As Jamie points out, "to stiff somebody" is a colloquial expression
            (originally AmEng, I presume) meaning "fail to pay somebody". Living
            context: Dude, I've been stiffed. Oooh, I am so upset. Now I am going
            to open me a can of whip-ass. :-)

            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@...> wrote:

              > As Jamie points out, "to stiff somebody" is a colloquial expression
              > (originally AmEng, I presume) meaning "fail to pay somebody".

              Yeah, okay, amongst other things. If you are left standing by somebody
              then you have also been "stood up". Living context:

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN45OjB-cCU

              :-0

              M.
            • Libor Zajíček
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
                Hola,

                no já jsem to slyšel v jiném smyslu. Asi jako "zatnout zuby a jít"
                apod. Ale z jiných výskytů jsem hádal i na "být tvrdý" anebo i
                "studený čumák". Eventuelně "poker face". Ani nevím, je-li toto
                czenglish nebo opravdový anglicismus.
                Dále jsem viděl pořad o britském labelu toho jména, ale nepochopil
                jsem, co chtěli tím názvem říct.

                Tu knihu od George Miklóse jsem kdysi četl, ale neuvědomil jsem si, že
                se tak jmenuje.

                Dík za příspěvky
                Libor

                2009/1/2 Matej Klimes <mklimes@...>:
                > No, radsi nechci vedet, jake preklady si videl, ale "stiff upper lip" je
                > esencialni (staro)britska vlastnost, jako ze kdyz se neco nedari, kdyz by
                > (American ci jiny cizinec) reagoval emocionalne, udela spravny Brit takovy
                > jako usklebek, ktery spociva v naspuleni pusy pomoci "ztvrdnuteho horniho
                > rtu" (dovedu si predstavit, ze to tak nejaky blazen i preklada..) u nas
                > bychom mozna rekli v nekterych pripadech studeny cumak, flegmatik, atd.,
                > podle konkretni situace.. podle Wiki ten vyraz pochazi z Ameriky, ale
                > zdomacnel i v BR ENG, tam samozrejme s o trochu lepsimi konotacemi..
                >
                > V prenesenem ss se to pak pouziva pro chovani nebo i osobu ktera se chova
                > staromilskym zpusobem, popripade i pro nekoho, kdo je "pravy Brit"
                > (pozitivne i negativne, ale spis negativne), takze stiff your upper lip by
                > mohlo byt neco jako "udelejte ze sebe praveho anglickeho snoba", zvlast
                > pokud to napise american :)
                >
                > Jedem Madar, co se jmenuje George Miklos, byl hodne vzdelany a emigroval do
                > Anglie (asi pred valkou), napsal kouzelnou knizecku "Stiff Upper Lip", ve
                > ktere mluvi o zvlastnostech v chovani a zivote Britu asi trochu jako ten
                > Anglan, co ted pise ty knihy o Francouzich (A year in the Merde atd.),
                > akorat s trochou vice porozumeni a ucty, holt tricata leta.. doporucuju, i
                > kdyz hodne z tech rozdilu uz davno neplati..

                > \

                _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

                Comics "Příběh proroka Jonáše" vyšel!
                http://picasaweb.google.com/libore/PBHProrokaJonE

                Filmy "L´uomo sandaluto", "2. příchod J. Wericha" a "Co jsme viděli na
                Ukrajině" nyní k vidění přímo na internetu:
                http://www.tv-mis.cz
                Více o filmech: http://www.liborzajicek.wz.cz
              • Sarka Rubkova
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
                  Ja bych rekla "Ztuhly mu rysy"

                  Sarka

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
                    Like he says, it depends on the context, but I think you would have to be a bit careful using "studeny cumak"!

                    I was thinking about a situation where a bit of emotion would normally be displayed, (by most people in some other countries), but where a Briton just smirks, raises an eyebrow, or does the stiff upper lip thing (is it actually done, or is it just a figure of speecvh??)... I agree studeny cumak is a bit specific, but it might be OK to describe one tiny aspect of SUL, if from an outsider's perspective and a bit pejoratively.. (which would be the way Americans would have meant SUJ when they came up with it, I suppose??)

                    BTW Jamie, you're right about different expressions being used in the US, but this one was meant to describe Brits only, so it wouldn't be used at home unless a Briton was the subject, plus it caught on in England and became one of these "Brit. Eng expressions" Americans would laugh at, I suppose..

                    Other nations may think it implies coldness,

                    Yes, that's what an average Czech will think if they don't speak enopugh Eng and have not lived in Britain..

                    but we Brits are quite proud of our stiff upper lip - not complaining, getting on with things, fortitude in adversity and all that.
                    ... isn't it one of those old things that everybody clings to, though? Not saying I disagree or not like it, but the younger generations in UK seem to be a bit spoiled to bother with things like these..

                    And for Britons a "stiff upper lip" is not something that marks you out as a snob - that is if you have your nose in the air.
                    ... fair enough, it wouldn't among Brits, but it does/can have that feel (which may or may not be legitimate) to a continental person, as in someone who's too cool to be bothered - Britons wouldn't probably use SUJ in this context, but others may??

                    I wish I could find my copy of that Miklos book, I'm sure he has an interesting definition..

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
                      This is what I meant when I suggested studeny cumak as one of possible
                      translations for one of many forms of SUJ:

                      One who has a stiff upper lip displays fortitude in the face of adversity,
                      or ***exercises self-restraint in the expression of emotion****

                      But I agree studeny cumak might be a bit strong and is nearly always
                      negative, whereas SUJ is meant to be positive, at least among BR ENG lips,
                      so to speak..

                    • Sarka Rubkova
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
                        Nebo se da taky hezky cesky rici "nakrcil nos"

                        Sarka

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
                          Ja mam knizku od George Mikese "How to be an alien". Neni to ta, co
                          jsi cetl?
                          Petr A.

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
                            Jo je, tak SUJ byla predpokladam jen kapitola? Kazdopadne to tam nekde musi byt..

                            Ja mam knizku od George Mikese "How to be an alien". Neni to ta, co
                            jsi cetl?
                            Petr A.
                            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Libor Zajíèek" <libore@...> wrote:

                            > Tu knihu od George Miklóse jsem kdysi èetl, ale neuvìdomil jsem si, ¾e
                            > se tak jmenuje.

                          • hahna123
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 5, 2009
                              Hi Jamie,

                              I just recently joined this group and I looooved you "reversed culture
                              shock" post! What a hoot!

                              My name is Tanja I am Czech but have been living in the US for 11
                              years now. I have a blog for Czech and Slovaks (or anyone who is
                              interested in our culture) which helps people connect with their
                              Czech/Slovak roots while living abroad. One of my categories is called
                              the "Stories of others" (where Jana from this group contributes on
                              regular basis ;) and your story would be a great addition!!! Can I
                              post it please? It would be anonymous of course (unless you want it
                              otherwise).

                              Thank you,

                              Tanja

                              PS: blog name is Czechmate Diary if you want to Czech it out
                              (www.czechmatediary.cz)
                            • Romana
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 5, 2009
                                Hi Tanja,

                                Yes, I found this thread very interesting and entertaining, too! If you want
                                any more material, you are welcome to contact me directly at
                                translators@..., and I will tell you my whole story. In short: Born
                                in CZ to Czech parents, grown up in Austria and Germany from age of 7 (but
                                always maintained close links to the CZ), found a new (the perfect) home in
                                Australia at age 38 (year 2000). My apologies to all other readers, I wasn't
                                able to find the way to contact Tanja directly. (Can't make any sense of
                                your 'PS', dear Tanja, either.)

                                Best regards,

                                Romana

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 5, 2009
                                  If anyone is interested in the Tanja´s blog, it is .com, not .cz!
                                  Honza

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 6, 2009
                                    Thanks Honza!
                                    Diky Honzo!

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 6, 2009
                                      You are welcome, Tanja!
                                      H.

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 6, 2009
                                        Not "reversed" culture shock. It's "reverse" culture shock.

                                      • Romana
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jan 6, 2009
                                          Of course, Jamie, thanks for the correction!

                                          Romana