Re: [Czechlist] Re: stiff your upper lip

    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
      Not necessarily. If your upper lip happens to be working as a waiter
      in a restaurant, and you don't leave a tip, you stiff your upper
      lip. :-)

      Jamie

      On Jan 2, 2009, at 5:46 AM, charliestnfrd wrote:

      > "Stiff your upper lip" is wrong - it
      > would have to be "stiffen your upper lip".

    • Libor Zajíček
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
        Well, thanks, but the reason why I am asking a question here is that I
        hope to get a "living context" - how you use it, how you feel it. But
        anyway thank a lot.
        Libor
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
          It's interesting that the expression supposedly originated in the US,
          because here we use it only in reference to the British, and we assume
          it to be British in origin.

          In its place, Americans would probably tell each other "stay tough",
          "keep cool", "don't lose your cool", "bite the bullet", or if they're
          Catholic, "offer it up". There are other near equivalents I can't
          think of right now.

          Jamie

          On Jan 2, 2009, at 5:47 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

          > No, radsi nechci vedet, jake preklady si videl, ale "stiff upper
          > lip" je esencialni (staro)britska vlastnost, jako ze kdyz se neco
          > nedari, kdyz by (American ci jiny cizinec) reagoval emocionalne,
          > udela spravny Brit takovy jako usklebek, ktery spociva v naspuleni
          > pusy pomoci "ztvrdnuteho horniho rtu" (dovedu si predstavit, ze to
          > tak nejaky blazen i preklada..) u nas bychom mozna rekli v nekterych
          > pripadech studeny cumak, flegmatik, atd., podle konkretni situace..
          > podle Wiki ten vyraz pochazi z Ameriky, ale zdomacnel i v BR ENG,
          > tam samozrejme s o trochu lepsimi konotacemi..
          >
          > V prenesenem ss se to pak pouziva pro chovani nebo i osobu ktera se
          > chova staromilskym zpusobem, popripade i pro nekoho, kdo je "pravy
          > Brit" (pozitivne i negativne, ale spis negativne), takze stiff your
          > upper lip by mohlo byt neco jako "udelejte ze sebe praveho
          > anglickeho snoba", zvlast pokud to napise american :)
          >
          > Jedem Madar, co se jmenuje George Miklos, byl hodne vzdelany a
          > emigroval do Anglie (asi pred valkou), napsal kouzelnou knizecku
          > "Stiff Upper Lip", ve ktere mluvi o zvlastnostech v chovani a zivote
          > Britu asi trochu jako ten Anglan, co ted pise ty knihy o Francouzich
          > (A year in the Merde atd.), akorat s trochou vice porozumeni a ucty,
          > holt tricata leta.. doporucuju, i kdyz hodne z tech rozdilu uz davno
          > neplati..

          > \

        • Charlie Stanford
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
            Must be American English then Jamie - "stiff" as a verb sounds very strange to a British ear.
            Matej gives a very good explanation but there are a couple of things I don't go along with. Like he says, it depends on the context, but I think you would have to be a bit careful using "studeny cumak"! Other nations may think it implies coldness, but we Brits are quite proud of our stiff upper lip - not complaining, getting on with things, fortitude in adversity and all that. And for Britons a "stiff upper lip" is not something that marks you out as a snob - that is if you have your nose in the air.

            Not necessarily. If your upper lip happens to be working as a waiter
            in a restaurant, and you don't leave a tip, you stiff your upper
            lip. :-)

            Jamie

            On Jan 2, 2009, at 5:46 AM, charliestnfrd wrote:

            > "Stiff your upper lip" is wrong - it
            > would have to be "stiffen your upper lip".

            Jsem chráněn bezplatným SPAMfighter pro soukromé uživatele.
            Až doposud mě ušetřil příjmu 2806 spam-emailů.
            Platící uživatelé tuto zprávu ve svých e-mailech nedostavají.
            Stáhněte si zadarmo SPAMfighter zde: www.spamfighter.com/lcs

            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
              In AE, if you stiff a waitress it means you have walked off without
              leaving her a tip. If you stiff your date, it means you never arrive
              and leave him or her waiting; we also call this jilting the person.

              Jamie

              On Jan 2, 2009, at 6:19 AM, Charlie Stanford wrote:

              > Must be American English then Jamie - "stiff" as a verb sounds very
              > strange to a British ear.
              > Matej gives a very good explanation but there are a couple of things
              > I don't go along with. Like he says, it depends on the context, but
              > I think you would have to be a bit careful using "studeny cumak"!
              > Other nations may think it implies coldness, but we Brits are quite
              > proud of our stiff upper lip - not complaining, getting on with
              > things, fortitude in adversity and all that. And for Britons a
              > "stiff upper lip" is not something that marks you out as a snob -
              > that is if you have your nose in the air.

            • daniela.vranova
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
                I agree, studeny cumak is not appropriate. It's rather zatnout zuby or something similar.
                Daniela

                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Libor Zajíèek" <libore@...> wrote:

                  > Well, thanks, but the reason why I am asking a question here is that I
                  > hope to get a "living context" - how you use it, how you feel it. But
                  > anyway thank a lot.
                  > Libor

                  Okay, for example, conditions at work are really lousy but I'm leaving
                  in the near future, so in the meantime I just have to keep a stiff
                  upper lip and get on with it.

                  An alternative strategy is to "grin and bear it". :->

                  "Stiff your upper lip" sounds to me at best like an ad hoc form used
                  by somebody who thinks it is clever to "verb adjectives". :-) Not very
                  frequently found. "Stiffen" is normally the verb, though the phrase
                  "keep a stiff upper lip" is more common in practice.

                  As Jamie points out, "to stiff somebody" is a colloquial expression
                  (originally AmEng, I presume) meaning "fail to pay somebody". Living
                  context: Dude, I've been stiffed. Oooh, I am so upset. Now I am going
                  to open me a can of whip-ass. :-)

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
                    --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@...> wrote:

                    > As Jamie points out, "to stiff somebody" is a colloquial expression
                    > (originally AmEng, I presume) meaning "fail to pay somebody".

                    Yeah, okay, amongst other things. If you are left standing by somebody
                    then you have also been "stood up". Living context:

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN45OjB-cCU

                    :-0

                    M.
                  • Libor Zajíček
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
                      Hola,

                      no já jsem to slyšel v jiném smyslu. Asi jako "zatnout zuby a jít"
                      apod. Ale z jiných výskytů jsem hádal i na "být tvrdý" anebo i
                      "studený čumák". Eventuelně "poker face". Ani nevím, je-li toto
                      czenglish nebo opravdový anglicismus.
                      Dále jsem viděl pořad o britském labelu toho jména, ale nepochopil
                      jsem, co chtěli tím názvem říct.

                      Tu knihu od George Miklóse jsem kdysi četl, ale neuvědomil jsem si, že
                      se tak jmenuje.

                      Dík za příspěvky
                      Libor

                      2009/1/2 Matej Klimes <mklimes@...>:
                      > No, radsi nechci vedet, jake preklady si videl, ale "stiff upper lip" je
                      > esencialni (staro)britska vlastnost, jako ze kdyz se neco nedari, kdyz by
                      > (American ci jiny cizinec) reagoval emocionalne, udela spravny Brit takovy
                      > jako usklebek, ktery spociva v naspuleni pusy pomoci "ztvrdnuteho horniho
                      > rtu" (dovedu si predstavit, ze to tak nejaky blazen i preklada..) u nas
                      > bychom mozna rekli v nekterych pripadech studeny cumak, flegmatik, atd.,
                      > podle konkretni situace.. podle Wiki ten vyraz pochazi z Ameriky, ale
                      > zdomacnel i v BR ENG, tam samozrejme s o trochu lepsimi konotacemi..
                      >
                      > V prenesenem ss se to pak pouziva pro chovani nebo i osobu ktera se chova
                      > staromilskym zpusobem, popripade i pro nekoho, kdo je "pravy Brit"
                      > (pozitivne i negativne, ale spis negativne), takze stiff your upper lip by
                      > mohlo byt neco jako "udelejte ze sebe praveho anglickeho snoba", zvlast
                      > pokud to napise american :)
                      >
                      > Jedem Madar, co se jmenuje George Miklos, byl hodne vzdelany a emigroval do
                      > Anglie (asi pred valkou), napsal kouzelnou knizecku "Stiff Upper Lip", ve
                      > ktere mluvi o zvlastnostech v chovani a zivote Britu asi trochu jako ten
                      > Anglan, co ted pise ty knihy o Francouzich (A year in the Merde atd.),
                      > akorat s trochou vice porozumeni a ucty, holt tricata leta.. doporucuju, i
                      > kdyz hodne z tech rozdilu uz davno neplati..

                      > \

                      _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

                      Comics "Příběh proroka Jonáše" vyšel!
                      http://picasaweb.google.com/libore/PBHProrokaJonE

                      Filmy "L´uomo sandaluto", "2. příchod J. Wericha" a "Co jsme viděli na
                      Ukrajině" nyní k vidění přímo na internetu:
                      http://www.tv-mis.cz
                      Více o filmech: http://www.liborzajicek.wz.cz
                    • Sarka Rubkova
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
                        Ja bych rekla "Ztuhly mu rysy"

                        Sarka

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
                          Like he says, it depends on the context, but I think you would have to be a bit careful using "studeny cumak"!

                          I was thinking about a situation where a bit of emotion would normally be displayed, (by most people in some other countries), but where a Briton just smirks, raises an eyebrow, or does the stiff upper lip thing (is it actually done, or is it just a figure of speecvh??)... I agree studeny cumak is a bit specific, but it might be OK to describe one tiny aspect of SUL, if from an outsider's perspective and a bit pejoratively.. (which would be the way Americans would have meant SUJ when they came up with it, I suppose??)

                          BTW Jamie, you're right about different expressions being used in the US, but this one was meant to describe Brits only, so it wouldn't be used at home unless a Briton was the subject, plus it caught on in England and became one of these "Brit. Eng expressions" Americans would laugh at, I suppose..

                          Other nations may think it implies coldness,

                          Yes, that's what an average Czech will think if they don't speak enopugh Eng and have not lived in Britain..

                          but we Brits are quite proud of our stiff upper lip - not complaining, getting on with things, fortitude in adversity and all that.
                          ... isn't it one of those old things that everybody clings to, though? Not saying I disagree or not like it, but the younger generations in UK seem to be a bit spoiled to bother with things like these..

                          And for Britons a "stiff upper lip" is not something that marks you out as a snob - that is if you have your nose in the air.
                          ... fair enough, it wouldn't among Brits, but it does/can have that feel (which may or may not be legitimate) to a continental person, as in someone who's too cool to be bothered - Britons wouldn't probably use SUJ in this context, but others may??

                          I wish I could find my copy of that Miklos book, I'm sure he has an interesting definition..

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
                            This is what I meant when I suggested studeny cumak as one of possible
                            translations for one of many forms of SUJ:

                            One who has a stiff upper lip displays fortitude in the face of adversity,
                            or ***exercises self-restraint in the expression of emotion****

                            But I agree studeny cumak might be a bit strong and is nearly always
                            negative, whereas SUJ is meant to be positive, at least among BR ENG lips,
                            so to speak..

                          • Sarka Rubkova
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
                              Nebo se da taky hezky cesky rici "nakrcil nos"

                              Sarka

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
                                Ja mam knizku od George Mikese "How to be an alien". Neni to ta, co
                                jsi cetl?
                                Petr A.

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 2, 2009
                                  Jo je, tak SUJ byla predpokladam jen kapitola? Kazdopadne to tam nekde musi byt..

                                  Ja mam knizku od George Mikese "How to be an alien". Neni to ta, co
                                  jsi cetl?
                                  Petr A.
                                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Libor Zajíèek" <libore@...> wrote:

                                  > Tu knihu od George Miklóse jsem kdysi èetl, ale neuvìdomil jsem si, ¾e
                                  > se tak jmenuje.

                                • hahna123
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 5, 2009
                                    Hi Jamie,

                                    I just recently joined this group and I looooved you "reversed culture
                                    shock" post! What a hoot!

                                    My name is Tanja I am Czech but have been living in the US for 11
                                    years now. I have a blog for Czech and Slovaks (or anyone who is
                                    interested in our culture) which helps people connect with their
                                    Czech/Slovak roots while living abroad. One of my categories is called
                                    the "Stories of others" (where Jana from this group contributes on
                                    regular basis ;) and your story would be a great addition!!! Can I
                                    post it please? It would be anonymous of course (unless you want it
                                    otherwise).

                                    Thank you,

                                    Tanja

                                    PS: blog name is Czechmate Diary if you want to Czech it out
                                    (www.czechmatediary.cz)
                                  • Romana
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 5, 2009
                                      Hi Tanja,

                                      Yes, I found this thread very interesting and entertaining, too! If you want
                                      any more material, you are welcome to contact me directly at
                                      translators@..., and I will tell you my whole story. In short: Born
                                      in CZ to Czech parents, grown up in Austria and Germany from age of 7 (but
                                      always maintained close links to the CZ), found a new (the perfect) home in
                                      Australia at age 38 (year 2000). My apologies to all other readers, I wasn't
                                      able to find the way to contact Tanja directly. (Can't make any sense of
                                      your 'PS', dear Tanja, either.)

                                      Best regards,

                                      Romana

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 5, 2009
                                        If anyone is interested in the Tanja´s blog, it is .com, not .cz!
                                        Honza

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jan 6, 2009
                                          Thanks Honza!
                                          Diky Honzo!

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jan 6, 2009
                                            You are welcome, Tanja!
                                            H.

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jan 6, 2009
                                              Not "reversed" culture shock. It's "reverse" culture shock.

                                            • Romana
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jan 6, 2009
                                                Of course, Jamie, thanks for the correction!

                                                Romana