Re: [Czechlist] Re: S kazdym novym jazykem ...

  • libore@volny.cz
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 31, 2008
      Hi all,

      Regarding the interpretation of ages, I really got confused in Poland,
      where, especially speaking on the phone, I kept gauging the (woman´s)
      age wrong, approx. mistake + 10 years. I must say Poles have better
      telephone manner than we (me), which doesn´t help a common Czech like
      me in telling the ages. They are polite and speak accustically higher,
      so I was surprised meeting a serious woman (45 years old I supposed),
      who turned out to be a hippie girl in her late 20-ies.
      Also children are very serious there, and if you are just hearing them,
      you can think it´s their mother or a teacher.

      Libor

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 1, 2009
        A couple of other interesting cultural differences between the CR and
        the US:

        -- In the CR, we Americans saw happy kids and sad kids, but we never
        saw the extremes of emotion we are used to in the US.

        -- Most Czech dogs walk down the street and completely ignore
        strangers, even if they're not on a leash. American dogs are curious
        about everyone and won't miss an opportunity to walk up and smell you.

        -- This one sounds crazy, but Czech dogs bark in a different
        "language" from American dogs. If I hear dogs barking in my
        neighborhood in the US, I can tell from the barking pattern if they
        want to lick me, bite me, or just inform each other of my presence.
        The dogs in the CR bark according to different patterns that I never
        learned to interpret.

        -- When encountered by an obnoxious drunk with romantic intentions,
        young American women will show immediate disapproval and either walk
        away or get rid of the guy. Young Czech women are liable to stay
        where they are, giggling at the man's remarks and making goo-goo eyes
        until he thinks he's making progress and gets way out of control. At
        this point, the Czech woman will expect the nearest man to step in
        with a roar and threaten the drunk until he stays away.

        Jamie