Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [Czechlist] rez.

Expand Messages
  • Michael Grant
    I have an American-born friend who took his wife s name, basically out of spite toward the folks who raised him (well-deserved from what I ve heard, though I
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 9, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      I have an American-born friend who took his wife's name, basically out
      of spite toward the folks who raised him (well-deserved from what I've
      heard, though I don't know their side of the story).

      For all that's worth.

      Michael

      On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 8:29 AM, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
      > I've seen that happen in the States, for example, if a man from Iran
      > immigrated and married at the time when the American hostages were
      > being held in Tehran. Some of those guys took names like "Thomas
      > Smith" or "John Morgan", but it's very, very unusual, as you say.
      >



      --
      You have to be happy with what you have to be happy with what you have
      to be happy with.
    • tomas_barendregt
      ... I took my wife s family name when we married; I call my previous name name at birth . Tom
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 9, 2008
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
        >
        > Theoretically, it would be "né", but it doesn't exist for men, because
        > men don't have maiden names.
        >

        I took my wife's family name when we married; I call my previous name
        "name at birth".

        Tom
      • Romana
        Men taking on their wife s name is not THAT unusual. One of my three husbands did it, too, just because he was sick of having such a boring everyman s name as
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 9, 2008
        • 0 Attachment
          Men taking on their wife's name is not THAT unusual. One of my three
          husbands did it, too, just because he was sick of having such a boring
          everyman's name as Johann Bauer. I can imagine that many M�llers, �echs and
          Smiths feel similarly. And then there are lots of men with truly horrible
          names such as Willy Little ... whom will certainly appreciate and utilize
          such an opportunity!

          Cheers,

          Romana



          From: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Czechlist@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
          Of James Kirchner
          Sent: Wednesday, 10 December 2008 12:59 AM
          To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [Czechlist] rez.



          I've seen that happen in the States, for example, if a man from Iran
          immigrated and married at the time when the American hostages were
          being held in Tehran. Some of those guys took names like "Thomas
          Smith" or "John Morgan", but it's very, very unusual, as you say.

          Jamie

          On Dec 9, 2008, at 9:13 AM, Alena Ryskov� 2e wrote:

          > Practically, they have, at least some Czech birth certificates say
          > rozeny as well (I think it is in the child�s father identification
          > data column). And if he takes his wifes name, which is rare, I
          > admit, but possible?
          > Alena
          >
          > ----- Original Message -----
          > From: James Kirchner
          > To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 3:08 PM
          > Subject: Re: [Czechlist] rez.
          >
          > Theoretically, it would be "n�", but it doesn't exist for men, because
          > men don't have maiden names.
          >
          > Jamie
          >
          > On Dec 9, 2008, at 9:06 AM, Alena Ryskov� 2e wrote:
          >
          > > Hi Jamie,
          > > BTW, how do you write n�e when it is a man? Just n�?
          > > Alena
          > >
          > > ----- Original Message -----
          > > From: James Kirchner
          > > To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com>
          > > Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 2:58 PM
          > > Subject: Re: [Czechlist] rez.
          > >
          > > Thanks, Jan and Petr.
          > >
          > > So it's "n�e".
          > >
          > > I should have figured that out. It's just been a long time since
          > I've
          > > done one of these.
          > >
          > > Jamie
          > >
          > > On Dec 9, 2008, at 8:53 AM, Vesely Petr wrote:
          > >
          > > > Hi Jamie,
          > > >
          > > > I guess it is a typo for roz(ena) = maiden name
          > > >
          > > > HTH
          > > > Petr
          > > >
          > > > ----- Original Message -----
          > > > From: James Kirchner
          > > > To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com>
          > > > Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 2:49 PM
          > > > Subject: [Czechlist] rez.
          > > >
          > > > What does "rez." mean in a birth certificate before the mother's
          > > > surname?
          > > >
          > > > I've got something like this:
          > > >
          > > > "Alena rez. Cistonosoplenkova"
          > > >
          > > > The various abbreviation dictionaries aren't helping.
          > > >
          > > > Any idea?
          > > >
          > > > Thanks.
          > > >
          > > > Jamie
          > > >
          > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          > > >
          > > >
          > > >
          > >
          > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          > >
          > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          > >
          > >
          > >
          >
          > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          >
          > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          >
          >
          >

          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]





          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        • Romana
          I confirm Tom’s note. I have seen “name at birth” several times in this context. Romana From: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 9, 2008
          • 0 Attachment
            I confirm Tom’s note. I have seen “name at birth” several times in this
            context.

            Romana



            From: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Czechlist@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
            Of tomas_barendregt
            Sent: Wednesday, 10 December 2008 8:35 AM
            To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: [Czechlist] Re: rez.



            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com> ,
            James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
            >
            > Theoretically, it would be "né", but it doesn't exist for men, because
            > men don't have maiden names.
            >

            I took my wife's family name when we married; I call my previous name
            "name at birth".

            Tom





            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • James Kirchner
            ... Which is what né means. Jamie [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 9, 2008
            • 0 Attachment
              On Dec 9, 2008, at 5:05 PM, tomas_barendregt wrote:

              > I took my wife's family name when we married; I call my previous name
              > "name at birth".

              Which is what "né" means.

              Jamie




              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            • Alena Ryšková 2e
              Reminds me of an old joke: A man comes before a registrar and says he wants his name changed. What is your name then? Frantisek Jebavy. Oh, I can
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 10, 2008
              • 0 Attachment
                Reminds me of an old joke:
                A man comes before a registrar and says he wants his name changed.
                "What is your name then?"
                "Frantisek Jebavy."
                "Oh, I can understand that. And what name would you like?"
                "Antonin."

                Alena

                ----- Original Message -----
                From: "Romana" <rvlcek@...>
                To: <Czechlist@yahoogroups.com>
                Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 12:54 AM
                Subject: RE: [Czechlist] rez.


                Men taking on their wife's name is not THAT unusual. One of my three
                husbands did it, too, just because he was sick of having such a boring
                everyman's name as Johann Bauer. I can imagine that many Müllers, Čechs and
                Smiths feel similarly. And then there are lots of men with truly horrible
                names such as Willy Little ... whom will certainly appreciate and utilize
                such an opportunity!

                Cheers,

                Romana



                From: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Czechlist@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                Of James Kirchner
                Sent: Wednesday, 10 December 2008 12:59 AM
                To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: Re: [Czechlist] rez.



                I've seen that happen in the States, for example, if a man from Iran
                immigrated and married at the time when the American hostages were
                being held in Tehran. Some of those guys took names like "Thomas
                Smith" or "John Morgan", but it's very, very unusual, as you say.

                Jamie

                On Dec 9, 2008, at 9:13 AM, Alena Rysková 2e wrote:

                > Practically, they have, at least some Czech birth certificates say
                > rozeny as well (I think it is in the child´s father identification
                > data column). And if he takes his wifes name, which is rare, I
                > admit, but possible?
                > Alena
                >
                > ----- Original Message -----
                > From: James Kirchner
                > To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com>
                > Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 3:08 PM
                > Subject: Re: [Czechlist] rez.
                >
                > Theoretically, it would be "né", but it doesn't exist for men, because
                > men don't have maiden names.
                >
                > Jamie
                >
                > On Dec 9, 2008, at 9:06 AM, Alena Rysková 2e wrote:
                >
                > > Hi Jamie,
                > > BTW, how do you write née when it is a man? Just né?
                > > Alena
                > >
                > > ----- Original Message -----
                > > From: James Kirchner
                > > To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com>
                > > Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 2:58 PM
                > > Subject: Re: [Czechlist] rez.
                > >
                > > Thanks, Jan and Petr.
                > >
                > > So it's "née".
                > >
                > > I should have figured that out. It's just been a long time since
                > I've
                > > done one of these.
                > >
                > > Jamie
                > >
                > > On Dec 9, 2008, at 8:53 AM, Vesely Petr wrote:
                > >
                > > > Hi Jamie,
                > > >
                > > > I guess it is a typo for roz(ena) = maiden name
                > > >
                > > > HTH
                > > > Petr
                > > >
                > > > ----- Original Message -----
                > > > From: James Kirchner
                > > > To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com>
                > > > Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 2:49 PM
                > > > Subject: [Czechlist] rez.
                > > >
                > > > What does "rez." mean in a birth certificate before the mother's
                > > > surname?
                > > >
                > > > I've got something like this:
                > > >
                > > > "Alena rez. Cistonosoplenkova"
                > > >
                > > > The various abbreviation dictionaries aren't helping.
                > > >
                > > > Any idea?
                > > >
                > > > Thanks.
                > > >
                > > > Jamie
                > > >
                > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                > > >
                > > >
                > > >
                > >
                > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                > >
                > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                > >
                > >
                > >
                >
                > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                >
                > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                >
                >
                >

                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]





                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


                ------------------------------------

                Translators' tricks of the trade:
                http://czeng.wetpaint.com/




                Yahoo! Groups Links
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.