Help: nadpracovat

  • coilinoc
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 30, 2008
      Hi there,

      Does anyone know what this phrase means exactly?

      I have very little context:
      It's a text about employers attitudes to foreign employees:

      U pracovniku v nemanualnich pracovnich pozicich se jedna zejmena o
      moznost prizpusobit si zacatek a konec pracovni doby, u manualnich
      pracovniku pak spise prilezitost nadpracovat si cast pracovniho dne
      nebo i delsi casovy usek

      I don't think it's overtime but some sort of arrangement where you
      work four ten-hour days instead of five eight-hour days to get your
      forty hour week. Am I right in this interpretation? And, if so, what
      would we call that in English? (flexitime?)

      MTIA

      Coilin
    • Jaroslav Hejzlar
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 30, 2008
        Hi, Coilin!
        I believe you are right, this probably means the possibility to work some hours in advance, probably by staying at work longer hours or by starting work earlier than required (and then to have the extra hours off when I need). HTH.
        Regards,
        Jarda

        Does anyone know what this phrase means exactly?

        I have very little context:
        It's a text about employers attitudes to foreign employees:

        U pracovniku v nemanualnich pracovnich pozicich se jedna zejmena o
        moznost prizpusobit si zacatek a konec pracovni doby, u manualnich
        pracovniku pak spise prilezitost nadpracovat si cast pracovniho dne
        nebo i delsi casovy usek

        I don't think it's overtime but some sort of arrangement where you
        work four ten-hour days instead of five eight-hour days to get your
        forty hour week. Am I right in this interpretation? And, if so, what
        would we call that in English? (flexitime?)

        MTIA

        Coilin

      • Jennifer Hejtmankova
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
          Coilin, I think that flextime/flexitime would be appropriate (check
          google for the more common spelling). And wait to see what Jamie has
          to say, though...

          Jennifer

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
            Hi Coilin:

            It's probably about a flexitime system but the sentence is funny talking
            about differences between white-collar and blue-collar workers unless the
            system specifies that the former must work strictly 8 hours, of whatever is
            nominal, every day only changing the beginning and end of the hours whereas
            the latter can work a longer shift to make up for other days taking time
            off.

            I don't know if it's about dialects but I would myself never say
            "nadpracovat", always "napracovat"; web search supports both usages...

            Jirka Bolech

            No virus found in this incoming message
            Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (5.0.0.10 - 10.100.062).
            http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/

            No virus found in this outgoing message

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
              I'm a little confused by the usage. It's flex time if the system is
              actually flexible, voluntary and somewhat controlled by the employee.
              If it's a rigid requirement, we don't have a term for the working
              hours, but for the time off, or for the arrangement of the whole week.

              flex time = The start and end of the work day can vary, as the
              employee wishes, and whatever time is lost or gained at the beginning
              of the day is made up at the end.

              comp time = extra time off at the end of the week (or at any time) to
              make up for being forced to work extra hours on a different day.

              four days on / three days off, or three days on / four days off = the
              employee is forced to work a longer standard shift each day, but he
              gets longer weekends.

              So the system is flex time only if it is flexible and the employee is
              somewhat in control of it. If the employee isn't in control of it, I
              would just use a circumlocution.

              Jamie

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
                I think it's less flexible and less official than flexitime..

                If/when your work does not immediatelly affect others and your superior authorises it, you'll come in earlier or stay late one day to be able to get off earlier another day. It's not a system, it's just a possibility, it only works if your work is reasonably independent and when your superior is sensible, remember we're talking blue collar jobs and things like flexitime are usually not available to these people..

                nadpracovat simply means to work a little in advance to be able to take time off, it can be used for working after taking time off, alth' strictly grammatically and technically it shouldn't be

                M - musim si ted nadpracovat abych mel zitra volno (ale klienti to asi neuznaji)

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
                  Then we would say "work extra hours".

                  Don't forget, there's also "working off the clock", but I don't think
                  that's what we're talking about in this case.

                  Jamie

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
                    working off the clock would be a prescas, right? Or nezapocitany prescas??

                    If a worker clocks in as they go to work, then I think it would be fairly strange for them to work extra after they have clocked out, but in other types of jobs where one has more responsibility and does whatever needs to be done, prescasy are normally not talked about outside of employment contract

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
                      Waita minute: "Work extra hours" may simply mean work more than expected/required, as in when there's lots of orders in a business in a busy period, or when someone does extra shifts because they need extra money - it doesn't always mean that they will get the corresponding time off later - or does it?

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
                        On Dec 1, 2008, at 6:56 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

                        > working off the clock would be a prescas, right? Or nezapocitany
                        > prescas??

                        It means the second one.

                        > If a worker clocks in as they go to work, then I think it would be
                        > fairly strange for them to work extra after they have clocked out,

                        Some abusive employers or managers require it. They usually end up in
                        court.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
                          On Dec 1, 2008, at 6:58 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

                          > Waita minute: "Work extra hours" may simply mean work more than
                          > expected/required, as in when there's lots of orders in a business
                          > in a busy period, or when someone does extra shifts because they
                          > need extra money - it doesn't always mean that they will get the
                          > corresponding time off later - or does it?

                          No, it doesn't. The problem is that we don't have a term for forced,
                          inflexible flex time.

                          The only way to express it is to say, "They're making me work extra
                          hours, but they'll give me extra time off later," or, "I have to work
                          extra hours, but my employer is giving me comp time later," or
                          something to that effect.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
                            Yeah, that's clear and it's what nadpracovat means, only nadpracovat is usually voluntary. I still think I must have heard people talk about extra hours without it meaning any compensation later, just working more.. If I wanted it to be clear, I would use not extra hours on its own...

                            Another reason why I don't like it for nadpracovat is that your examples sound like it's a regular thing, someone's "forced to" work longer and then given some sort of compensation, in time or money, but nadpracovat - especially in your example - means "to be able to work longer and then take the corresponding time off" - it's done because the worker wants it and because it suits them and the boss is being nice to allow it.. hope I'm being clear...

                            I don't think it should be a problem to say something along the lines of "some, especially blue collar workers like to me their workhours more flexible by working extra time on certain days and then taking the corresponding time off when they need to" - I haven't even looked at your example now to see if it fits 100%, but that's how it sounded to me when I first read it and that's how it works.. it seemed like a semi-informal report or presentation where this type of sentence would sound Ok and would be easier to understand than trying to come up with an official-sounding one or two word term - just my 2 c's :)