Re: Does this sound right to you?

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 23, 2008
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Valerie Talacko" <valerie@...> wrote:

      > Maybe it's a question of emphasis in some cases - 'mine' can sound a
      little like 'it's mine, all mine,' if you know what I mean.

      I'd say it is partly a matter of emphasis and partly a matter of style
      - basically quite informal in BrEng, but nothing very unusual.

      Reminds me of an item in the old Cambridge English Course (Book One -
      the red one) in which students are taught to walk into shops and say
      "Right, I'll have this one" and "I'll have that one". For the plural
      the Teacher's Book recommended just "these" and "those", but I reckon
      "these ones" would not sound too awful in colloquial Mancunian. :-) Or
      dese'n's 'ere. Like. Pal.