INFO: Literature (was "The Noun in Translation")

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 11, 2000
      David wrote:

      >I suppose Acta Universitatis Carolinae, Translatologica Pragensia was your
      >source in this case.

      Acta Universitatis Carolinae
      Philologica Monographia
      It's a 240-page book.

      >I was also able to derive some benefit from '9 x O PREKLADU' - 'K
      >pragmaticke
      >ekvivalenci v prekladech ceskych neliterarnich textu do anglictiny' The
      >author is Patrick Corness and the article was published in ToP (the JTP
      >quarterly) No. 42, September 1998, pp. 7 - 11.

      Many thanks, David, for the valuable tip.

      Another work that I find very useful is the two-volume "Studies in the
      English Language" by
      Libuse Duskova, with some very interesting translation examples contrasting
      the perfect
      tenses in English with the perfective aspect in Czech, the passive voice in
      the two languages, "Man-S�tze"
      (contrastive examples of "man-devices" such as 'one', 'you', reflexive
      forms, third person
      plural and the passive), a consideration of different translations of "jit
      o" or how about these
      elegant solutions to some awkward little problems:

      Nezlob se, ale...
      Sorry to contradict you but...

      The bag holds seven pounds
      Do toho pytle se vejde sedm liber

      Heathrow sees a plane land or take off every fifty seconds
      V Heathrow pristava nebo startuje letadlo kazdych padesat vterin

      His voice held a note of entreaty
      V jeho hlase byl naznak prosby (z jeho hlasu zaznivala prosba)

      The letter bears your signature
      Na tom dopise je vas podpis

      This road carries a good deal of traffic
      Na teto silnice je velky provoz

      The heat turned the milk sour
      Teplem mleko zkyslo

      A bet on Fair Glory in the two-thirty won him twelve pounds
      Sazkou na Fair Glory v zavode 14.30 vyhral dvanact liber

      I also find some very enjoyable items in Casopis pro moderni filologii from
      the Czech
      Language Institute at the Academy of Sciences. I'd particularly recommend an
      article from
      issue no. 2 1993 - Prekladatelska problematika ceskych zdrobnelin v
      anglictine.

      Any other suggestions?

      Melvyn

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 12, 2000
        > Any other suggestions?
        >
        > Melvyn

        My favourites are Zaklady anglicke stylistiky (MacPherson, Academia, 96) and
        English or Czenglish (D. Sparling, SPN, 1990). I am afraid they are not very
        useful for English native speakers and for the translating process itself,
        but anyway you can find there some interesting hints.

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 15, 2000
          Martin Janda wrote:

          > My favourites are Zaklady anglicke stylistiky (MacPherson, Academia, 96)
          and
          > English or Czenglish (D. Sparling, SPN, 1990).

          I know the latter and I bet it was first published before 1990. I find it a
          bit too hairsplitting in places.

          Among the useful titles I have (besides such indispensables as the big
          English-Czech Hais/Hodek dictionary and a good English-English dictionary; I
          most often use Webster's myself) is "Anglicko-cesky slovnik frazovych
          sloves" by Lukas Vodicka, Prah & Fragment, 1992. Another book worth
          mentioning is "Cesko-anglicky ekonomicky slovnik" by Aliberto Caforio,
          Encyklopedicky dum, 1996.

          Jirka Bolech
          Liberec, CR
        • Melvyn Clarke
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 15, 2000

            >My favourites are Zaklady anglicke stylistiky (MacPherson, Academia, 96)
            >and
            >English or Czenglish (D. Sparling, SPN, 1990). I am afraid they are not
            >very
            >useful for English native speakers and for the translating process itself,
            >but anyway you can find there some interesting hints.

            Thanks Martin - I'll look into Zaklady.

            English - Czenglish - Jak se vyhnout cechismum has some great hints. Even
            advanced-level students seem to derive some benefit from it.
            Sometimes when I am going through an English text written to a high
            standard by a Czech, I
            will come across something that does not look quite right and yet a better
            version eludes me. Sparling often has the
            answer.

            BTW it has been available for some time at that bookshop on Palackeho for 5
            (five) crowns.

            Melvyn
          • Michael Grant
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 15, 2000
              >Another book worth
              >mentioning is "Cesko-anglicky ekonomicky slovnik" by Aliberto Caforio,
              >Encyklopedicky dum, 1996.

              Seconded; as of two years ago it was certainly the best of its type
              that I had seen, especially in the Cz->En direction.
              Who is Caforio, anyway? His name certainly doesn't sound Czech or English.

              Michael
            • Kostas Zgafas
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 16, 2000
                > >Another book worth
                > >mentioning is "Cesko-anglicky ekonomicky slovnik" by Aliberto Caforio,

                > Michael

                Another book worth mentioning (but in a negative sense) is "Odborny slovnik
                cesko-anglicky z oblasti ekonomicke, obchodni, financni a pravni" by
                Kolektiv autoru katedry anglickeho jazyka VSE v Praze, Linde Praha a.s.,
                1996. It should be displayed in a Hall of Shame (if there were one).

                Kostas

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 16, 2000
                  Michael Grant wrote:

                  > Who is Caforio, anyway? His name certainly doesn't sound Czech or English.

                  I don't have a clue, but I don't care either. If I see a book by him, it'll
                  be a good reference for me, though.

                  Jirka Bolech
                  Liberec, CR
                • Michael Grant
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 16, 2000
                    >Another book worth mentioning (but in a negative sense) is "Odborny slovnik
                    >cesko-anglicky z oblasti ekonomicke, obchodni, financni a pravni" by
                    >Kolektiv autoru katedry anglickeho jazyka VSE v Praze, Linde Praha a.s.,
                    >1996. It should be displayed in a Hall of Shame (if there were one).

                    Is that the one with the yellow cover? Yes, it's a piece of crap. The
                    Odborny slovnik cesko-anglicky z oblasti danove a ucetni by
                    Bocankova, Kalina, and Oherova in the same series (blue-green cover)
                    is better, but the best reference for Czech-English accounting
                    terminology (not exactly a dictionary) is Ucetnictvi versus
                    Accounting by Miller and Mladek. It cost a cool Kc 1470 when I bought
                    it probably three years ago, but was worth every heller.

                    Michael
                  • Kostas Zgafas
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 16, 2000
                      > >Another book worth mentioning (but in a negative sense) is "Odborny
                      slovnikcesko-anglicky z oblasti ekonomicke, obchodni, financni a pravni" by
                      > >Kolektiv autoru katedry anglickeho jazyka VSE v Praze, Linde Praha a.s.,
                      > >1996. It should be displayed in a Hall of Shame (if there were one).
                      >
                      > Is that the one with the yellow cover? Yes, it's a piece of crap.

                      No, its a white book with red letters on the cover.
                      What I appreciate is the generally well-known Technicky slovnik (one volume
                      for each of both directions).
                      What I like on it (and must say find quite surprising) is that it contains
                      very authentical entries, although it was done during communism.

                      Kostas
                    • Michael Grant
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 16, 2000
                        > > Is that the one with the yellow cover? Yes, it's a piece of crap.
                        >
                        >No, its a white book with red letters on the cover.

                        Right, that's the one I was thinking of. Useless. The yellow ones are
                        Czech-German, aren't they?

                        Michael
                      • Kostas Zgafas
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 16, 2000
                          And you woudn�t believe if I tell you that a friend of mine gave me xeroxed
                          pages of an old Poldauf�s economic dictionary made in 60�s , and it matched
                          exactly that dictionary we are talking about (1996!!!). Shame.

                          Kostas

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 17, 2000
                            > From: "Kostas Zgafas" <kzgafas@...>
                            >
                            > Another book worth mentioning (but in a negative sense) is "Odborny
                            slovnik
                            > cesko-anglicky z oblasti ekonomicke, obchodni, financni a pravni" by
                            > Kolektiv autoru katedry anglickeho jazyka VSE v Praze, Linde Praha a.s.,
                            > 1996. It should be displayed in a Hall of Shame (if there were one).

                            > Kostas

                            Seconded. I�ve got an earlier edition (1994), and I can almost never find
                            what I am looking for. But what is really great is a SW En/Cz dictionary by
                            K+K Commercial Services, Brno. Several modules, including business/legal,
                            technical, medical, pharmacology, chemical, etc. Not that they would be that
                            good in searching for terms - they�ve simply stolen out several existing
                            printout dictionaries (including Pravni - Chroma, for instance).

                            Martin
                          • Otto Pacholik
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 17, 2000
                              > What I appreciate is the generally well-known Technicky slovnik
                              > (one volume
                              > for each of both directions).
                              > What I like on it (and must say find quite surprising) is that it contains
                              > very authentical entries, although it was done during communism.

                              I do agree this dictionary is quite useful. Ther reason is, IMHO, technical
                              terms have to stay identic notwithstanding a political regime. There exists
                              a slightly newer version of the English-Czech technical dictionary. It was
                              published in 1998 by Sobotales, authors are Jiri Elman and Vaclav
                              Michalicek. There are some changes, however not very substantial.

                              Have a nice day

                              Otto
                            • Otto Pacholik
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 17, 2000
                                > > Right, that's the one I was thinking of. Useless. The yellow ones are
                                > > Czech-German, aren't they?

                                You are perfectly right. But the yellow ones come from the Fraus publishing
                                house, not from Linde. English dictionaries published by Fraus are blue.

                                Otto
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 17, 2000
                                  Kostas Zgafas wrote:

                                  > What I appreciate is the generally well-known Technicky slovnik (one
                                  volume
                                  > for each of both directions).
                                  > What I like on it (and must say find quite surprising) is that it contains
                                  > very authentical entries, although it was done during communism.

                                  Very true. I wish there were more dictionaies like this one (or rather these
                                  two). It again contrasts strongly with a bidirectional dictionary "...
                                  elektrotechnicky a elektronicky..." by Libuse Malinova's team (SNTL 1982).

                                  Jirka Bolech
                                  Liberec, CR
                                • Michael Grant
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 19, 2000
                                    > > Another book worth mentioning (but in a negative sense) is "Odborny
                                    >slovnik
                                    > > cesko-anglicky z oblasti ekonomicke, obchodni, financni a pravni" by
                                    > > Kolektiv autoru katedry anglickeho jazyka VSE v Praze, Linde Praha a.s.,
                                    > > 1996. It should be displayed in a Hall of Shame (if there were one).
                                    >
                                    > > Kostas
                                    >

                                    >Seconded. I�ve got an earlier edition (1994), and I can almost never find
                                    >what I am looking for.

                                    Pozor--even if you do find it, chances are that the equivalents
                                    listed will be wrong.
                                    Michael