RE: [Czechlist] "plast"

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
      Hi Jamie:

      A sentence or two might be useful to quote.

      Upper/lower sounds like some sort of a cover or case, but connected sounds
      like it's electrical. However, do you mean connected electrically or more
      like attached? It doesn't sound like a word for circuit board at all...

      Jirka Bolech

      _____

      Od: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Czechlist@yahoogroups.com] za
      u�ivatele James Kirchner
      Odesl�no: 3. listopadu 2008 12:37
      Komu: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
      P�edm�t: [Czechlist] "plast"

      Can anyone tell me what a "plast" would be as a component of an
      electrical device?

      The text doesn't say '" pl�s^st' " or "pl�st", but "plast" without any
      diacritics at all.

      There is an upper "plast" and a lower "plast", and various components
      are connected to them.

      Is this a circuit board?

      Thanks.

      Jamie

      No virus found in this incoming message
      Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (5.0.0.10 - 10.100.050).
      http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/

      No virus found in this outgoing message

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
        Thanks, Gerry and Matej.

        I assumed it was a cover, but I started to doubt myself and, based on
        one sentence, began to wonder if it was some kind of plastic board.

        This is part of that annoying Czech habit of referring to a piece by
        what it's made of rather than its function, at least in texts like this.

        Plus, I sense that some of this company's Czech technical texts aren't
        written by Czechs or even Slavs, which is a brand-new phenomenon for me.

        Jamie

        On Nov 3, 2008, at 6:48 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

        > Yep,
        >
        > I guess you could render it as plastic cover, it should have another
        > word to it in Czech as well, but this is what you get with technical
        > writers..

      • Jaroslav Hejzlar
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
          Hello, Jamie!
          It seems that this isn't a typo for "plást", but simply two parts (upper and lower), made of plastics. Have a nice day.
          Jarda

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
            Thanks, Jarda and Jirka. I'm back to my first conviction now that
            it's a plastic cover.

            Jamie