Re: [Czechlist] "plast"

  • Gerald Turner
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
      I would guess it to be simply "plastic".

      Gerry

      On 03/11/2008, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:

      > Can anyone tell me what a "plast" would be as a component of an
      > electrical device?
      >
      > The text doesn't say '" plás^st' " or "plást", but "plast" without any
      > diacritics at all.
      >
      > There is an upper "plast" and a lower "plast", and various components
      > are connected to them.
      >
      > Is this a circuit board?
      >
      > Thanks.

      Czech-In Translations
      V lesíčku 5
      150 00 Prague 5
      Czech Republic
      Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194

      To see a World in a Grain of Sand
      And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
      Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
      And Eternity in an hour.

      would
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
        Hi Jamie:

        A sentence or two might be useful to quote.

        Upper/lower sounds like some sort of a cover or case, but connected sounds
        like it's electrical. However, do you mean connected electrically or more
        like attached? It doesn't sound like a word for circuit board at all...

        Jirka Bolech

        _____

        Od: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Czechlist@yahoogroups.com] za
        u�ivatele James Kirchner
        Odesl�no: 3. listopadu 2008 12:37
        Komu: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
        P�edm�t: [Czechlist] "plast"

        Can anyone tell me what a "plast" would be as a component of an
        electrical device?

        The text doesn't say '" pl�s^st' " or "pl�st", but "plast" without any
        diacritics at all.

        There is an upper "plast" and a lower "plast", and various components
        are connected to them.

        Is this a circuit board?

        Thanks.

        Jamie

        No virus found in this incoming message
        Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (5.0.0.10 - 10.100.050).
        http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/

        No virus found in this outgoing message

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
          Yep,

          I guess you could render it as plastic cover, it should have another word to it in Czech as well, but this is what you get with technical writers..

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
            Thanks, Gerry and Matej.

            I assumed it was a cover, but I started to doubt myself and, based on
            one sentence, began to wonder if it was some kind of plastic board.

            This is part of that annoying Czech habit of referring to a piece by
            what it's made of rather than its function, at least in texts like this.

            Plus, I sense that some of this company's Czech technical texts aren't
            written by Czechs or even Slavs, which is a brand-new phenomenon for me.

            Jamie

            On Nov 3, 2008, at 6:48 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

            > Yep,
            >
            > I guess you could render it as plastic cover, it should have another
            > word to it in Czech as well, but this is what you get with technical
            > writers..

          • Jaroslav Hejzlar
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
              Hello, Jamie!
              It seems that this isn't a typo for "plást", but simply two parts (upper and lower), made of plastics. Have a nice day.
              Jarda

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                Thanks, Jarda and Jirka. I'm back to my first conviction now that
                it's a plastic cover.

                Jamie