"plast"

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
      Can anyone tell me what a "plast" would be as a component of an
      electrical device?

      The text doesn't say '" plás^st' " or "plást", but "plast" without any
      diacritics at all.

      There is an upper "plast" and a lower "plast", and various components
      are connected to them.

      Is this a circuit board?

      Thanks.

      Jamie
    • Gerald Turner
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
        I would guess it to be simply "plastic".

        Gerry

        On 03/11/2008, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone tell me what a "plast" would be as a component of an
        > electrical device?
        >
        > The text doesn't say '" plás^st' " or "plást", but "plast" without any
        > diacritics at all.
        >
        > There is an upper "plast" and a lower "plast", and various components
        > are connected to them.
        >
        > Is this a circuit board?
        >
        > Thanks.

        Czech-In Translations
        V lesíčku 5
        150 00 Prague 5
        Czech Republic
        Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194

        To see a World in a Grain of Sand
        And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
        Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
        And Eternity in an hour.

        would
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
          Hi Jamie:

          A sentence or two might be useful to quote.

          Upper/lower sounds like some sort of a cover or case, but connected sounds
          like it's electrical. However, do you mean connected electrically or more
          like attached? It doesn't sound like a word for circuit board at all...

          Jirka Bolech

          _____

          Od: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Czechlist@yahoogroups.com] za
          u�ivatele James Kirchner
          Odesl�no: 3. listopadu 2008 12:37
          Komu: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
          P�edm�t: [Czechlist] "plast"

          Can anyone tell me what a "plast" would be as a component of an
          electrical device?

          The text doesn't say '" pl�s^st' " or "pl�st", but "plast" without any
          diacritics at all.

          There is an upper "plast" and a lower "plast", and various components
          are connected to them.

          Is this a circuit board?

          Thanks.

          Jamie

          No virus found in this incoming message
          Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (5.0.0.10 - 10.100.050).
          http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/

          No virus found in this outgoing message

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
            Yep,

            I guess you could render it as plastic cover, it should have another word to it in Czech as well, but this is what you get with technical writers..

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
              Thanks, Gerry and Matej.

              I assumed it was a cover, but I started to doubt myself and, based on
              one sentence, began to wonder if it was some kind of plastic board.

              This is part of that annoying Czech habit of referring to a piece by
              what it's made of rather than its function, at least in texts like this.

              Plus, I sense that some of this company's Czech technical texts aren't
              written by Czechs or even Slavs, which is a brand-new phenomenon for me.

              Jamie

              On Nov 3, 2008, at 6:48 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

              > Yep,
              >
              > I guess you could render it as plastic cover, it should have another
              > word to it in Czech as well, but this is what you get with technical
              > writers..

            • Jaroslav Hejzlar
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                Hello, Jamie!
                It seems that this isn't a typo for "plást", but simply two parts (upper and lower), made of plastics. Have a nice day.
                Jarda

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                  Thanks, Jarda and Jirka. I'm back to my first conviction now that
                  it's a plastic cover.

                  Jamie