Re: [Czechlist] help ces-eng Utvar ochrany prezidenta, arcibiskupstvi prazske, camary

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
      On Nov 2, 2008, at 8:34 AM, Helena Subrtova wrote:

      > Utvar ochr. prezidenta is a special police unit - to protect the
      > president
      > http://www.mvcr.cz/clanek/utvar-pro-ochranu-prezidenta-ceske-republiky.aspx

      In the US they're called the Secret Service, even though they're not
      secret. You can call them the presidential protection unit or the
      presidential protection police, or some variation on one of those. I
      doubt there's an exact term for them in the US or the UK.

      > camara - additional info: in the text that I have it is mentioned that
      > the Guard of Honour of the Slovak Republic have it on their uniforms.
      >
      > http://testpilot.sk/cspsr/news.php

      Unfortunately, that link doesn't lead to a picture. It's called
      "braid", if it's what you see in this photo:

      http://www.travelpod.com/travel-photo/skip2938/eurotravel_2007/1183100100/skippyxs_297.jpg/tpod.html

      Jamie
    • Helena Subrtova
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
        Hi,
        I suppose that in the Czech Republic they call it differently.
        I just wanted to check.
        I also searched the web ( hrad.cz) but the Czech version of the text is
        different from the English one.

        H.

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
          Can anyone tell me what a "plast" would be as a component of an
          electrical device?

          The text doesn't say '" plás^st' " or "plást", but "plast" without any
          diacritics at all.

          There is an upper "plast" and a lower "plast", and various components
          are connected to them.

          Is this a circuit board?

          Thanks.

          Jamie
        • Gerald Turner
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
            I would guess it to be simply "plastic".

            Gerry

            On 03/11/2008, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:

            > Can anyone tell me what a "plast" would be as a component of an
            > electrical device?
            >
            > The text doesn't say '" plás^st' " or "plást", but "plast" without any
            > diacritics at all.
            >
            > There is an upper "plast" and a lower "plast", and various components
            > are connected to them.
            >
            > Is this a circuit board?
            >
            > Thanks.

            Czech-In Translations
            V lesíčku 5
            150 00 Prague 5
            Czech Republic
            Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194

            To see a World in a Grain of Sand
            And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
            Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
            And Eternity in an hour.

            would
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
              Hi Jamie:

              A sentence or two might be useful to quote.

              Upper/lower sounds like some sort of a cover or case, but connected sounds
              like it's electrical. However, do you mean connected electrically or more
              like attached? It doesn't sound like a word for circuit board at all...

              Jirka Bolech

              _____

              Od: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Czechlist@yahoogroups.com] za
              u�ivatele James Kirchner
              Odesl�no: 3. listopadu 2008 12:37
              Komu: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
              P�edm�t: [Czechlist] "plast"

              Can anyone tell me what a "plast" would be as a component of an
              electrical device?

              The text doesn't say '" pl�s^st' " or "pl�st", but "plast" without any
              diacritics at all.

              There is an upper "plast" and a lower "plast", and various components
              are connected to them.

              Is this a circuit board?

              Thanks.

              Jamie

              No virus found in this incoming message
              Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (5.0.0.10 - 10.100.050).
              http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/

              No virus found in this outgoing message

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                Yep,

                I guess you could render it as plastic cover, it should have another word to it in Czech as well, but this is what you get with technical writers..

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                  Thanks, Gerry and Matej.

                  I assumed it was a cover, but I started to doubt myself and, based on
                  one sentence, began to wonder if it was some kind of plastic board.

                  This is part of that annoying Czech habit of referring to a piece by
                  what it's made of rather than its function, at least in texts like this.

                  Plus, I sense that some of this company's Czech technical texts aren't
                  written by Czechs or even Slavs, which is a brand-new phenomenon for me.

                  Jamie

                  On Nov 3, 2008, at 6:48 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

                  > Yep,
                  >
                  > I guess you could render it as plastic cover, it should have another
                  > word to it in Czech as well, but this is what you get with technical
                  > writers..

                • Jaroslav Hejzlar
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                    Hello, Jamie!
                    It seems that this isn't a typo for "plást", but simply two parts (upper and lower), made of plastics. Have a nice day.
                    Jarda

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                      Thanks, Jarda and Jirka. I'm back to my first conviction now that
                      it's a plastic cover.

                      Jamie