Re: [Czechlist] help ces-eng Utvar ochrany prezidenta, arcibiskupstvi prazske, camary

  • Helena Subrtova
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
      Utvar ochr. prezidenta is a special police unit - to protect the president
      http://www.mvcr.cz/clanek/utvar-pro-ochranu-prezidenta-ceske-republiky.aspx

      camara - additional info: in the text that I have it is mentioned that
      the Guard of Honour of the Slovak Republic have it on their uniforms.

      http://testpilot.sk/cspsr/news.php

      Maybe somebody from Slovakia could help.

      Helena

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
        On Nov 2, 2008, at 8:34 AM, Helena Subrtova wrote:

        > Utvar ochr. prezidenta is a special police unit - to protect the
        > president
        > http://www.mvcr.cz/clanek/utvar-pro-ochranu-prezidenta-ceske-republiky.aspx

        In the US they're called the Secret Service, even though they're not
        secret. You can call them the presidential protection unit or the
        presidential protection police, or some variation on one of those. I
        doubt there's an exact term for them in the US or the UK.

        > camara - additional info: in the text that I have it is mentioned that
        > the Guard of Honour of the Slovak Republic have it on their uniforms.
        >
        > http://testpilot.sk/cspsr/news.php

        Unfortunately, that link doesn't lead to a picture. It's called
        "braid", if it's what you see in this photo:

        http://www.travelpod.com/travel-photo/skip2938/eurotravel_2007/1183100100/skippyxs_297.jpg/tpod.html

        Jamie
      • Helena Subrtova
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
          Hi,
          I suppose that in the Czech Republic they call it differently.
          I just wanted to check.
          I also searched the web ( hrad.cz) but the Czech version of the text is
          different from the English one.

          H.

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
            Can anyone tell me what a "plast" would be as a component of an
            electrical device?

            The text doesn't say '" plás^st' " or "plást", but "plast" without any
            diacritics at all.

            There is an upper "plast" and a lower "plast", and various components
            are connected to them.

            Is this a circuit board?

            Thanks.

            Jamie
          • Gerald Turner
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
              I would guess it to be simply "plastic".

              Gerry

              On 03/11/2008, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:

              > Can anyone tell me what a "plast" would be as a component of an
              > electrical device?
              >
              > The text doesn't say '" plás^st' " or "plást", but "plast" without any
              > diacritics at all.
              >
              > There is an upper "plast" and a lower "plast", and various components
              > are connected to them.
              >
              > Is this a circuit board?
              >
              > Thanks.

              Czech-In Translations
              V lesíčku 5
              150 00 Prague 5
              Czech Republic
              Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194

              To see a World in a Grain of Sand
              And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
              Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
              And Eternity in an hour.

              would
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                Hi Jamie:

                A sentence or two might be useful to quote.

                Upper/lower sounds like some sort of a cover or case, but connected sounds
                like it's electrical. However, do you mean connected electrically or more
                like attached? It doesn't sound like a word for circuit board at all...

                Jirka Bolech

                _____

                Od: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Czechlist@yahoogroups.com] za
                u�ivatele James Kirchner
                Odesl�no: 3. listopadu 2008 12:37
                Komu: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
                P�edm�t: [Czechlist] "plast"

                Can anyone tell me what a "plast" would be as a component of an
                electrical device?

                The text doesn't say '" pl�s^st' " or "pl�st", but "plast" without any
                diacritics at all.

                There is an upper "plast" and a lower "plast", and various components
                are connected to them.

                Is this a circuit board?

                Thanks.

                Jamie

                No virus found in this incoming message
                Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (5.0.0.10 - 10.100.050).
                http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/

                No virus found in this outgoing message

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                  Yep,

                  I guess you could render it as plastic cover, it should have another word to it in Czech as well, but this is what you get with technical writers..

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                    Thanks, Gerry and Matej.

                    I assumed it was a cover, but I started to doubt myself and, based on
                    one sentence, began to wonder if it was some kind of plastic board.

                    This is part of that annoying Czech habit of referring to a piece by
                    what it's made of rather than its function, at least in texts like this.

                    Plus, I sense that some of this company's Czech technical texts aren't
                    written by Czechs or even Slavs, which is a brand-new phenomenon for me.

                    Jamie

                    On Nov 3, 2008, at 6:48 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

                    > Yep,
                    >
                    > I guess you could render it as plastic cover, it should have another
                    > word to it in Czech as well, but this is what you get with technical
                    > writers..

                  • Jaroslav Hejzlar
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                      Hello, Jamie!
                      It seems that this isn't a typo for "plást", but simply two parts (upper and lower), made of plastics. Have a nice day.
                      Jarda

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                        Thanks, Jarda and Jirka. I'm back to my first conviction now that
                        it's a plastic cover.

                        Jamie