Re: [Czechlist] help ces-eng Utvar ochrany prezidenta, arcibiskupstvi prazske, camary

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
      On Nov 2, 2008, at 8:18 AM, Helena Subrtova wrote:

      > Utvar ochrany prezidenta

      If this is made up of cars, it's the presidential motorcade. If it's
      men on foot, it's the president's security detail.

      > arcibiskupstvi prazske?

      The Archdiocese of Prague.

      > camary - (c - with "hacek", it is something typical on the Slovak folk
      > costume)

      No idea. I'd have to see a picture, and Google is not helping. The
      only picture that shows me anything leads me to believe we'd call it
      braid.

      Jamie
    • Helena Subrtova
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
        Utvar ochr. prezidenta is a special police unit - to protect the president
        http://www.mvcr.cz/clanek/utvar-pro-ochranu-prezidenta-ceske-republiky.aspx

        camara - additional info: in the text that I have it is mentioned that
        the Guard of Honour of the Slovak Republic have it on their uniforms.

        http://testpilot.sk/cspsr/news.php

        Maybe somebody from Slovakia could help.

        Helena

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
          On Nov 2, 2008, at 8:34 AM, Helena Subrtova wrote:

          > Utvar ochr. prezidenta is a special police unit - to protect the
          > president
          > http://www.mvcr.cz/clanek/utvar-pro-ochranu-prezidenta-ceske-republiky.aspx

          In the US they're called the Secret Service, even though they're not
          secret. You can call them the presidential protection unit or the
          presidential protection police, or some variation on one of those. I
          doubt there's an exact term for them in the US or the UK.

          > camara - additional info: in the text that I have it is mentioned that
          > the Guard of Honour of the Slovak Republic have it on their uniforms.
          >
          > http://testpilot.sk/cspsr/news.php

          Unfortunately, that link doesn't lead to a picture. It's called
          "braid", if it's what you see in this photo:

          http://www.travelpod.com/travel-photo/skip2938/eurotravel_2007/1183100100/skippyxs_297.jpg/tpod.html

          Jamie
        • Helena Subrtova
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
            Hi,
            I suppose that in the Czech Republic they call it differently.
            I just wanted to check.
            I also searched the web ( hrad.cz) but the Czech version of the text is
            different from the English one.

            H.

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
              Can anyone tell me what a "plast" would be as a component of an
              electrical device?

              The text doesn't say '" plás^st' " or "plást", but "plast" without any
              diacritics at all.

              There is an upper "plast" and a lower "plast", and various components
              are connected to them.

              Is this a circuit board?

              Thanks.

              Jamie
            • Gerald Turner
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                I would guess it to be simply "plastic".

                Gerry

                On 03/11/2008, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:

                > Can anyone tell me what a "plast" would be as a component of an
                > electrical device?
                >
                > The text doesn't say '" plás^st' " or "plást", but "plast" without any
                > diacritics at all.
                >
                > There is an upper "plast" and a lower "plast", and various components
                > are connected to them.
                >
                > Is this a circuit board?
                >
                > Thanks.

                Czech-In Translations
                V lesíčku 5
                150 00 Prague 5
                Czech Republic
                Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194

                To see a World in a Grain of Sand
                And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
                Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
                And Eternity in an hour.

                would
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                  Hi Jamie:

                  A sentence or two might be useful to quote.

                  Upper/lower sounds like some sort of a cover or case, but connected sounds
                  like it's electrical. However, do you mean connected electrically or more
                  like attached? It doesn't sound like a word for circuit board at all...

                  Jirka Bolech

                  _____

                  Od: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Czechlist@yahoogroups.com] za
                  u�ivatele James Kirchner
                  Odesl�no: 3. listopadu 2008 12:37
                  Komu: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
                  P�edm�t: [Czechlist] "plast"

                  Can anyone tell me what a "plast" would be as a component of an
                  electrical device?

                  The text doesn't say '" pl�s^st' " or "pl�st", but "plast" without any
                  diacritics at all.

                  There is an upper "plast" and a lower "plast", and various components
                  are connected to them.

                  Is this a circuit board?

                  Thanks.

                  Jamie

                  No virus found in this incoming message
                  Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (5.0.0.10 - 10.100.050).
                  http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/

                  No virus found in this outgoing message

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                    Yep,

                    I guess you could render it as plastic cover, it should have another word to it in Czech as well, but this is what you get with technical writers..

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                      Thanks, Gerry and Matej.

                      I assumed it was a cover, but I started to doubt myself and, based on
                      one sentence, began to wonder if it was some kind of plastic board.

                      This is part of that annoying Czech habit of referring to a piece by
                      what it's made of rather than its function, at least in texts like this.

                      Plus, I sense that some of this company's Czech technical texts aren't
                      written by Czechs or even Slavs, which is a brand-new phenomenon for me.

                      Jamie

                      On Nov 3, 2008, at 6:48 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

                      > Yep,
                      >
                      > I guess you could render it as plastic cover, it should have another
                      > word to it in Czech as well, but this is what you get with technical
                      > writers..

                    • Jaroslav Hejzlar
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                        Hello, Jamie!
                        It seems that this isn't a typo for "plást", but simply two parts (upper and lower), made of plastics. Have a nice day.
                        Jarda

                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                          Thanks, Jarda and Jirka. I'm back to my first conviction now that
                          it's a plastic cover.

                          Jamie