help ces-eng Utvar ochrany prezidenta, arcibiskupstvi prazske, camary

  • Helena Subrtova
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
      Hello everybody,

      Could you help me with:
      Utvar ochrany prezidenta
      arcibiskupstvi prazske?

      camary - (c - with "hacek", it is something typical on the Slovak folk
      costume)

      Thank you.

      Helena
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
        On Nov 2, 2008, at 8:18 AM, Helena Subrtova wrote:

        > Utvar ochrany prezidenta

        If this is made up of cars, it's the presidential motorcade. If it's
        men on foot, it's the president's security detail.

        > arcibiskupstvi prazske?

        The Archdiocese of Prague.

        > camary - (c - with "hacek", it is something typical on the Slovak folk
        > costume)

        No idea. I'd have to see a picture, and Google is not helping. The
        only picture that shows me anything leads me to believe we'd call it
        braid.

        Jamie
      • Helena Subrtova
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
          Utvar ochr. prezidenta is a special police unit - to protect the president
          http://www.mvcr.cz/clanek/utvar-pro-ochranu-prezidenta-ceske-republiky.aspx

          camara - additional info: in the text that I have it is mentioned that
          the Guard of Honour of the Slovak Republic have it on their uniforms.

          http://testpilot.sk/cspsr/news.php

          Maybe somebody from Slovakia could help.

          Helena

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
            On Nov 2, 2008, at 8:34 AM, Helena Subrtova wrote:

            > Utvar ochr. prezidenta is a special police unit - to protect the
            > president
            > http://www.mvcr.cz/clanek/utvar-pro-ochranu-prezidenta-ceske-republiky.aspx

            In the US they're called the Secret Service, even though they're not
            secret. You can call them the presidential protection unit or the
            presidential protection police, or some variation on one of those. I
            doubt there's an exact term for them in the US or the UK.

            > camara - additional info: in the text that I have it is mentioned that
            > the Guard of Honour of the Slovak Republic have it on their uniforms.
            >
            > http://testpilot.sk/cspsr/news.php

            Unfortunately, that link doesn't lead to a picture. It's called
            "braid", if it's what you see in this photo:

            http://www.travelpod.com/travel-photo/skip2938/eurotravel_2007/1183100100/skippyxs_297.jpg/tpod.html

            Jamie
          • Helena Subrtova
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
              Hi,
              I suppose that in the Czech Republic they call it differently.
              I just wanted to check.
              I also searched the web ( hrad.cz) but the Czech version of the text is
              different from the English one.

              H.

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                Can anyone tell me what a "plast" would be as a component of an
                electrical device?

                The text doesn't say '" plás^st' " or "plást", but "plast" without any
                diacritics at all.

                There is an upper "plast" and a lower "plast", and various components
                are connected to them.

                Is this a circuit board?

                Thanks.

                Jamie
              • Gerald Turner
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                  I would guess it to be simply "plastic".

                  Gerry

                  On 03/11/2008, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:

                  > Can anyone tell me what a "plast" would be as a component of an
                  > electrical device?
                  >
                  > The text doesn't say '" plás^st' " or "plást", but "plast" without any
                  > diacritics at all.
                  >
                  > There is an upper "plast" and a lower "plast", and various components
                  > are connected to them.
                  >
                  > Is this a circuit board?
                  >
                  > Thanks.

                  Czech-In Translations
                  V lesíčku 5
                  150 00 Prague 5
                  Czech Republic
                  Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194

                  To see a World in a Grain of Sand
                  And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
                  Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
                  And Eternity in an hour.

                  would
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                    Hi Jamie:

                    A sentence or two might be useful to quote.

                    Upper/lower sounds like some sort of a cover or case, but connected sounds
                    like it's electrical. However, do you mean connected electrically or more
                    like attached? It doesn't sound like a word for circuit board at all...

                    Jirka Bolech

                    _____

                    Od: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Czechlist@yahoogroups.com] za
                    u�ivatele James Kirchner
                    Odesl�no: 3. listopadu 2008 12:37
                    Komu: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
                    P�edm�t: [Czechlist] "plast"

                    Can anyone tell me what a "plast" would be as a component of an
                    electrical device?

                    The text doesn't say '" pl�s^st' " or "pl�st", but "plast" without any
                    diacritics at all.

                    There is an upper "plast" and a lower "plast", and various components
                    are connected to them.

                    Is this a circuit board?

                    Thanks.

                    Jamie

                    No virus found in this incoming message
                    Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (5.0.0.10 - 10.100.050).
                    http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/

                    No virus found in this outgoing message

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                      Yep,

                      I guess you could render it as plastic cover, it should have another word to it in Czech as well, but this is what you get with technical writers..

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                        Thanks, Gerry and Matej.

                        I assumed it was a cover, but I started to doubt myself and, based on
                        one sentence, began to wonder if it was some kind of plastic board.

                        This is part of that annoying Czech habit of referring to a piece by
                        what it's made of rather than its function, at least in texts like this.

                        Plus, I sense that some of this company's Czech technical texts aren't
                        written by Czechs or even Slavs, which is a brand-new phenomenon for me.

                        Jamie

                        On Nov 3, 2008, at 6:48 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

                        > Yep,
                        >
                        > I guess you could render it as plastic cover, it should have another
                        > word to it in Czech as well, but this is what you get with technical
                        > writers..

                      • Jaroslav Hejzlar
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                          Hello, Jamie!
                          It seems that this isn't a typo for "plást", but simply two parts (upper and lower), made of plastics. Have a nice day.
                          Jarda

                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                            Thanks, Jarda and Jirka. I'm back to my first conviction now that
                            it's a plastic cover.

                            Jamie