Re: [Czechlist] klicenka

    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
      Okay, I don't think I was clear.

      The thing I'm looking for and get pictures of in Google when I look
      for a klicenka is not the ring, and not the chain, but the electronic
      thing that hangs from the chain or the ring that sends out a radio
      signal to unlock your car.

      In the US automotive industry, those are called "key fobs". I've
      found that term used for the same thing on UK websites, but I'm just
      confirming that it's really called that in the UK.

      Jamie

      On Oct 6, 2008, at 4:23 PM, Valerie Talacko wrote:

      > Yes, it's a key ring. If it has, say, a torch on it it's a torch key
      > ring.
      >
      > I think the little leather bag thing would be a key pouch. (Or a
      > pouch key ring..)
      >
      > Valerie

    • Gerald Turner
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
        My subsequent investigations suggest that it is by now an accepted Americanism.

        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
          First time I hear klicenka in this context... there are a few when I google for klicenka, but I wouldn't call it predominant usage, google around for places that sell/install them and you'll get other ideas.. mind you, you're going into RNG so you don't really care..

          you don't see them much, most remote locks and alarms are built into original car keys, but I'd never thought of calling them klicenka, that's the pouch thing to put your keys into.. I had one of these on a Skoda because I bought a cheap OEM alarm for it, it was a pain, we didn't call it anything apart from "ten nesmysl"...

          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
            Do you ever get documents that were written in Czech by non-native
            speakers? I sense that I'm working on one now.

            Does this sound like a Czech wrote it?

            "Zkontrolovat VF vykon je nejlepe udelat to s nulovym rozmitanim
            analyzatoru."

            Maybe some Indian engineer who's learned Czech?

            Jamie
          • Jan Culka
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
              Or an ordinary Czech illiterate technician,
              Honza

              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
                Hi Jamie:

                In my opinion "klicenka" is whatever useless (chain) or useful (pouch; not
                neck strap - that's "snur(k)a na krk") is attached to key ring, not key fob.
                Key fob is probably "klic dalkoveho zamykani" or "klic dalkoveho ovladani
                (centralniho) zamykani" or a similar lengthy animal with either the word
                "klic" or "dalkoveho ovladani" or both in it...

                Jirka Bolech

                No virus found in this incoming message
                Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (5.0.0.10 - 10.100.038).
                http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/

                No virus found in this outgoing message

                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
                    It was most likely a bad literal translation, even a technician would not form a sentence like this on their own :)

                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 7, 2008
                      Seems like machine translation from English
                      Alena

                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 7, 2008
                        Ja tedy souhlasim s Honzou Culkou - to nebude zadna machine translation,
                        to zplodil nekdo z techniku.

                        Hanka

                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 7, 2008
                          I'm guessing from the writer's name that he is Bulgarian. The whole
                          document is riddled with weird things like that, such as an apparent
                          inability to create the imperative form, rare and strange use of
                          haceks but no carky ever, accusative neuter nominative adjectives with
                          accusative feminine nouns, and the list goes on.

                          I commonly have to translate non-native texts in French, but getting
                          one in Czech surprised me.

                          Thanks for everyone's feedback.

                          Jamie

                          On Oct 7, 2008, at 2:39 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

                          > It was most likely a bad literal translation, even a technician
                          > would not form a sentence like this on their own :)

                        • Mihail Mihaylov
                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 7, 2008
                            Bulgarian? Hardly possible, I cannot even imagine a Bulgarian phrase that could serve as a source for this masterpiece ;)

                            Mihail

                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 7, 2008
                              Jamie, could you please give us other examples of weird Czech in your
                              text? I am really curious:-)
                              Hanka

                              James Kirchner wrote:

                              > I'm guessing from the writer's name that he is Bulgarian. The whole
                              > document is riddled with weird things like that, such as an apparent
                              > inability to create the imperative form, rare and strange use of
                              > haceks but no carky ever, accusative neuter nominative adjectives with
                              > accusative feminine nouns, and the list goes on.
                              >
                              > I commonly have to translate non-native texts in French, but getting
                              > one in Czech surprised me.
                              >
                              > Thanks for everyone's feedback.
                              >
                              > Jamie
                              >
                              > On Oct 7, 2008, at 2:39 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:
                              >

                              >>It was most likely a bad literal translation, even a technician
                              >>would not form a sentence like this on their own :)

                            • Šárka Rubková
                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 7, 2008
                                I think it is a part of the key and it has no name in Czech. I have a card
                                instead of a key and it is called either a key or card.

                                sarka

                                The thing I'm looking for and get pictures of in Google when I look
                                for a klicenka is not the ring, and not the chain, but the electronic
                                thing that hangs from the chain or the ring that sends out a radio
                                signal to unlock your car.

                                In the US automotive industry, those are called "key fobs". I've
                                found that term used for the same thing on UK websites, but I'm just
                                confirming that it's really called that in the UK.

                                Jamie

                                On Oct 6, 2008, at 4:23 PM, Valerie Talacko wrote:

                                > Yes, it's a key ring. If it has, say, a torch on it it's a torch key
                                > ring.
                                >
                                > I think the little leather bag thing would be a key pouch. (Or a
                                > pouch key ring..)
                                >
                                > Valerie

                              • Bedrich Hadziu
                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 11, 2008
                                  THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE ADVICE ON "PRSINOS".

                                  I guess there is no exact equivalent for it English - as I was afraid.

                                  Probably go with snub nose.

                                  Best,

                                  Bedrich