TERM: ozvanit

  • Liz Spacilova
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2008
      Hi,

      In a very casual interview, a person explains "v tom, co delam, se
      nede nic ozvanit" (z with a hacek). I can only think of "bullshit
      through" -- "I can't bullshit my way through what I do." But I think
      that may be too crude and too American. Any other ideas?

      Thanks

      Liz
      (guilty of much bullshitting in college)
    • Gerald Turner
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2008
        Hi Liz, I would have thought that bullshit suits the register.

        FWIW

        Gerry

        --
        Czech-In Translations
        V lesíčku 5

        To see a World in a Grain of Sand
        And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
        Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
        And Eternity in an hour.
      • Valerie Talacko
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2008
          I don't think it sounds too American...

          There's another phrase along the lines of 'it's not enough to have the gift of the gab,' but it won't come to me.

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 4, 2008
            I think bullshit found a home in the British Isles long ago.

            Gerry

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 4, 2008
              Gerry wrote:
              > I think bullshit found a home in the British Isles long ago.

              True, but we also waffle our way through things, exams, interviews, etc.

              Also spelt "woffle" in the Urban Dictionary.

            • Liz Spacilova
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 8, 2008
                Thanks Gerry, Valerie and Melvyn. One of the men in my family tree is
                a certain Lott Bull, born in England in the mid 1700s before hitting
                the high seas for the American colony. So much for the movement of
                Lott Bull's shit :)

                But bull in my blood or not, I think I'll go for "waffle through".

                Liz "Full O'Bull" Spacilova