QUESTION: "UDELAT RESETO"

  • Bedrich Hadziu
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 28, 2008
      Dear Listmates,

      I've been toiling with the best English equivalent phrase for the Czech "UDELAT Z (NECEHO) RESETO".

      This is a common Czech phrase in the context of shooting, you know, gangster movies, where the guys shoot hundreds of bullets simultaneously into an object, like a car, from all sides and leave it full of bullet holes.

      In Czech, the typical phrase for this is "UDELALI Z TOHO (AUTA) RESETO".

      RESETO is an older Czech term for a sieve.

      So, a literal translation that first comes to mind is "MAKE (A) SIEVE OF".

      However, I don't think it is the correct phrase. On googling, "make sieve of/from" only gives a few hits, all of them from countries where English is not the native tongue.

      Any help with this will be much appreciated!

      THANK YOU!

      Bedrich

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 28, 2008
        We say that they make Swiss cheese out of it (or him).

        Jamie

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 28, 2008
          A nice one. The direct Czech equivalent would be "udelat z nej emental".

          My Slovnik ceske frazeologie also offers:

          - riddle him with (bullet) holes
          - fill him with lead

          Does that sound right to RMAJ ears?

          Martin

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 28, 2008
            Those exist, but they aren't the visual or emotional equivalent of the
            Czech phrase.

            It's really "to make Swiss cheese out of him". That's the exact
            equivalent of the phrase Bedrich asked about.

            Jamie

            On Sep 28, 2008, at 9:05 AM, Martin Janda wrote:

            > A nice one. The direct Czech equivalent would be "udelat z nej
            > emental".
            >
            > My Slovnik ceske frazeologie also offers:
            >
            > - riddle him with (bullet) holes
            > - fill him with lead
            >
            > Does that sound right to RMAJ ears?
            >
            > Martin
            >
            > James Kirchner napsal(a):
            > >

            > > We say that they make Swiss cheese out of it (or him).
            > >
            > > Jamie
            > >
            > > On Sep 28, 2008, at 8:48 AM, Bedrich Hadziu wrote:
            > >
            > > > Dear Listmates,
            > > >
            > > > I've been toiling with the best English equivalent phrase for the
            > > > Czech "UDELAT Z (NECEHO) RESETO".
            > > >
            > > > This is a common Czech phrase in the context of shooting, you
            > know,
            > > > gangster movies, where the guys shoot hundreds of bullets
            > > > simultaneously into an object, like a car, from all sides and
            > leave
            > > > it full of bullet holes.
            > > >
            > > > In Czech, the typical phrase for this is "UDELALI Z TOHO (AUTA)
            > > > RESETO".
            > > >
            > > > RESETO is an older Czech term for a sieve.
            > > >
            > > > So, a literal translation that first comes to mind is "MAKE (A)
            > > > SIEVE OF".
            > > >
            > > > However, I don't think it is the correct phrase. On googling,
            > "make
            > > > sieve of/from" only gives a few hits, all of them from countries
            > > > where English is not the native tongue.
            > > >
            > > > Any help with this will be much appreciated!
            > > >
            > > > THANK YOU!
            > > >
            > > > Bedrich

          • Jennifer Hejtmánková
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 28, 2008
              I'm going to go for the agree on this one!

              Jennifer

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 28, 2008
                You can also say "shoot / pump him full of holes".

                Jamie

              • Bedrich Hadziu
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 5, 2008
                  Thanks Jamie!

                  Make Swiss cheese out of sounds perfect!

                  Best,