Re: [Czechlist] popisne cislo

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 12, 2008
      Much worse in most US online shops, though..

      you'll run in all sorts of troubles, from ZIP code to street address and especially state vs. country, that can't be improvised in any way because the programmer forgot to think about people from outside US of A...

      Years ago, I was trying to order National Geographic (back when it was still full of great photos and writing about real stuff) online and there was no Czech Republic or Czechoslovakia in the drop down list of countries - and that was that, I could not complete the order and there was no way out... I wrote an angry Email saying that they have reported on a country they think does not exist on numerous occassions... and got some sort of semi - automated CC Email back.... and I don't read the magazine anymore since then, not that I mind, last I noticed they became a propaganda piece for war on terror with an occassional cute animal thrown in...

      This could be a topic for an anthropology study, but AFAIK anywhere on the Czech Internet, you get by making a note somewhere if you're in trouble, whereas in the US things are so automated that any little deviation lands you in trouble, be it street address, zip, Cc number or issuing bank, etc.... probably down to the degree of professionality and automation that comes with a large market as opposed to amateur one-man shops we still get here - but you know what, the "customer care", although often haphazard and amateurish, is just so much more human... in 99% of cases it's actually woth it - save the occassional "yes that was the price we advertised it at, but t's no longer available from our suppliers" bit, which is usually solved quickly by mentioning the consumer protection association and the advertising act...

      Just a few thoughts..