RE: CAT software

  • Otto Pacholik
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2000
      Hi everybody in the New Year,

      I'd like to say someting about the CAT tools as I have been studying them
      and working with them for a couple of years now. I think there exists a
      common misunderstanding what this acronym stands for.

      CAT tools can be divided into MT and MAHT tools. The first acronym stands
      for Machine Translation and there is still a long way to go, in order to
      achieve really acceptable results.
      The second stands for Machine Aided Human Translation. This is the kind of
      tools I have been using. Some examples - Trados Translator's Workbench, IBM
      Translation Manager, Atril's DejaVu, which is my favorite. These tools are
      really valuable if you have repetitive translations as software
      localiyations, technical manuals, etc. This type of tools is quite mature
      and of a great help to any experienced technical translator.
      MT tools are focused on people having little or none language knowledge and
      they are, at least nowadays, able to give you just a very high-level
      overview of a document contents, sometimes in a funny language. However, Vit
      is right these tools are constantly being improved and with the increasing
      computing power the results are also beginning to be more and more
      acceptable. But the way to a perfect translation is still long and, by my
      opinion, unachievable, due the each language variability. More complicated
      texts will remain in hands of professional translators, the easier ones will
      be automatically processed using MT tools.

      Regards,

      Otto
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 6, 2000
        > >I'm sure anything that can be put in an algorithm, can be processed by a
        > >"computer". It depends on the technology level.
        >
        > A pretty big leap to assume that language translation can be
        > algorithmic, isn't it? I rather suspect it can't.

        I leave this to everybody to decide for herself or himself.

        Jirka Bolech
        Liberec, CR