RE: [Czechlist] Re: Off-topic: trying to find a French song -FOUND!!!

  • magda.ferstlova
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 27 1:35 AM
      Ja takhle nedavno hledala tohle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjspxBtxFXg
      kvuli detem, muzou se u toho zblaznit :)

      _____

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 27 5:06 AM
        Pote co jsem ten song nasel, jsem tyto zpravy smazal, trochu
        nerozumim tomu, ze zde vidim odpovedi. Ackoli na druhe strane - off-
        topic to vlastnì take neni, protoze jde o vyhledavani na vyhåedavaci.
        A vubec - obraceni pzornosti na pisen, ktera neni v anglictine, je
        vlastne zasluzne:-)

        K te verzi: libi se mi vsechny, ale kdybych je musel seradit, tak
        bych tomu dal: 1) France Gall, 2) Alizee, 3) Kate Ryan

        K.

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 27 6:14 AM
          On Aug 27, 2008, at 8:06 AM, kzgafas wrote:

          > K te verzi: libi se mi vsechny, ale kdybych je musel seradit, tak
          > bych tomu dal: 1) France Gall, 2) Alizee, 3) Kate Ryan

          The thread has made me start thinking again about the difference
          between what kind of pop music gets popular in Europe as opposed to
          the US. Not even the same American songs become popular in Europe as
          in the US.

          It seems to boil down mainly to this:

          -- American fans want to understand all or most of the words (whether
          in English or Spanish), and the styles can vary broadly.

          -- European fans want (or get) heavy synthesizers, a thumping disco
          beat, and usually one or two lines in English that everyone can
          understand.

          This plays out interestingly with someone like Shaggy, who is
          virtually unheard of in the US. His music fits the criteria, because
          he's got the thump and the repeated lines in beginners' English, which
          qualify him for European popularity. However, the main body of his
          songs is rapped in creole English, and outside of the Caribbean,
          nobody understands what the heck he's saying, which disqualifies him
          for popularity in the US.

          In Europe, it seems that the groups with so-called "meaningful lyrics"
          develop a cult following among avid language students, but otherwise
          people are satisfied with that "easy English" line or two. I suppose
          the same is true of foreign language music in the US.

        • libore@volny.cz
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 27 7:31 AM
            Yes, the tastes are different. + I´d say even though the radios all
            over the world play usually in english plus some songs in the local
            tongue, they choose different mix. I have noticed it in the UK. This
            may be because of the specific British musicality. Or perhaps they are
            playing fresh music, new songs and they have it firsthand.
            And I have noticed as well that Radio Ulster likes the american country
            music (or is it their own?), which is played just by Country Rádio
            in CZ as far I know.

            Libor

            > The thread has made me start thinking again about the
            > difference
            > between what kind of pop music gets popular in Europe
            > as opposed to
            > the US. Not even the same American songs become popular
            > in Europe as
            > in the US.
            >
            > It seems to boil down mainly to this:
            >
            > -- American fans want to understand all or most of
            > the words (whether
            > in English or Spanish), and the styles can vary broadly.
            >
            > -- European fans want (or get) heavy synthesizers,
            > a thumping disco
            > beat, and usually one or two lines in English that
            > everyone can
            > understand.
            >
            > This plays out interestingly with someone like Shaggy,
            > who is
            > virtually unheard of in the US. His music fits the
            > criteria, because
            > he's got the thump and the repeated lines in beginners'
            > English, which
            > qualify him for European popularity. However, the
            > main body of his
            > songs is rapped in creole English, and outside of the
            > Caribbean,
            > nobody understands what the heck he's saying, which
            > disqualifies him
            > for popularity in the US.
            >
            > In Europe, it seems that the groups with so-called
            > "meaningful lyrics"
            > develop a cult following among avid language students,
            > but otherwise
            > people are satisfied with that "easy English" line
            > or two. I suppose
            > the same is true of foreign language music in the US.

            Moje tel. číslo / My phone number: +420 608 309 684
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 27 8:07 AM
              I know I've written you folks about the outrageously excessive
              information requirements for invoices in some European countries.

              Given that the invoice has to require all of the information necessary
              for anyone to access your bank account (bank address, routing number,
              account number, SWIFT code, etc.), it seems very risky to me to send
              such invoices over the Internet, so I print them out and send them by
              ordinary mail. After all, it's more information than the Nigerians
              need to drain your whole account.

              However, I got an e-mail today from a Czech agency that wants me to
              send all that stuff over the Internet. They very kindly told me that
              I didn't have to send it by ordinary post. I very kindly told them
              that I did.

              After having had someone use my publicly available information to
              charge services to my phone bill, open credit card accounts in my name
              and run up bills last year, I'm a bit paranoid about passing banking
              information unencrypted over the Internet.

              Am I being unreasonable?

              The situation makes me feel like I'm being forced to step back in
              time. It reminds me of the early days of Czech online retailing,
              where Czech law would let you sell over the Internet, but it wouldn't
              let people pay with a credit card unless they gave the retailer a
              physical signature, which defeated the purpose of online retailing.

              It seems that it should be legal for companies to get a person's
              banking information by snail mail once, and then have them invoice
              over the Internet without including it.

              Any thoughts?

              Jamie
            • Jennifer Hejtmánková
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 27 8:58 AM
                Fax?

                jennifer

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 27 10:09 AM
                  Hee, hee! Then I have to go back to the fax era! :-)

                  Jamie

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 27 10:48 AM
                    I don't see how anyone could do anything with your account number, bank address, SWIFT code etc., other than send an invoice with your information on it so that you'd get their money..

                    That information is routinely displayed on Websites and letterheads

                    Credit card numbers etc. are a different matter, but you don't have to have those on invoices..

                    I'm only too happy to send invoices electronically and avoind Ceska posta, encryption is also an option alth' with invoices - which tend to be processed by low IT skill staff it may be counterproductive..

                    Hee, hee! Then I have to go back to the fax era! :-)

                    Jamie

                    On Aug 27, 2008, at 11:58 AM, Jennifer Hejtmánková wrote:

                    > Fax?
                    >
                    > jennifer
                    >
                    > On 27.8.2008, at 17:07, James Kirchner wrote:
                    >
                    > > I know I've written you folks about the outrageously excessive
                    > > information requirements for invoices in some European countries.
                    > >
                    > > Given that the invoice has to require all of the information
                    > necessary
                    > > for anyone to access your bank account (bank address, routing
                    > number,
                    > > account number, SWIFT code, etc.), it seems very risky to me to send
                    > > such invoices over the Internet, so I print them out and send them
                    > by
                    > > ordinary mail. After all, it's more information than the Nigerians
                    > > need to drain your whole account.
                    > >
                    > > However, I got an e-mail today from a Czech agency that wants me to
                    > > send all that stuff over the Internet. They very kindly told me that
                    > > I didn't have to send it by ordinary post. I very kindly told them
                    > > that I did.
                    > >
                    > > After having had someone use my publicly available information to
                    > > charge services to my phone bill, open credit card accounts in my
                    > name
                    > > and run up bills last year, I'm a bit paranoid about passing banking
                    > > information unencrypted over the Internet.
                    > >
                    > > Am I being unreasonable?
                    > >
                    > > The situation makes me feel like I'm being forced to step back in
                    > > time. It reminds me of the early days of Czech online retailing,
                    > > where Czech law would let you sell over the Internet, but it
                    > wouldn't
                    > > let people pay with a credit card unless they gave the retailer a
                    > > physical signature, which defeated the purpose of online retailing.
                    > >
                    > > It seems that it should be legal for companies to get a person's
                    > > banking information by snail mail once, and then have them invoice
                    > > over the Internet without including it.
                    > >
                    > > Any thoughts?
                    > >
                    > > Jamie

                  • kzgafas
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 27 4:58 PM
                      It seems quite a routine practice to disclose one's own banking info
                      in the order to get payment. It also depends on the security of your
                      bank account or more specifically on the protection of the access to
                      your account through internet (internet banking). And the disclosing
                      channel seems to be quite narrow - if it is an agency you know
                      something about.

                      K.

                      > Hee, hee! Then I have to go back to the fax era! :-)
                      >
                      > Jamie
                      >
                      > On Aug 27, 2008, at 11:58 AM, Jennifer Hejtmánková wrote:
                      >
                      > > Fax?
                      > >
                      > > jennifer
                      > >
                      > > On 27.8.2008, at 17:07, James Kirchner wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > I know I've written you folks about the outrageously excessive
                      > > > information requirements for invoices in some European
                      countries.

                      > > > Given that the invoice has to require all of the information
                      > > necessary
                      > > > for anyone to access your bank account (bank address, routing
                      > > number,
                      > > > account number, SWIFT code, etc.), it seems very risky to me to
                      send
                      > > > such invoices over the Internet, so I print them out and send
                      them
                      > > by
                      > > > ordinary mail. After all, it's more information than the
                      Nigerians
                      > > > need to drain your whole account.
                      > > >
                      > > > However, I got an e-mail today from a Czech agency that wants
                      me to
                      > > > send all that stuff over the Internet. They very kindly told me
                      that
                      > > > I didn't have to send it by ordinary post. I very kindly told
                      them
                      > > > that I did.
                      > > >
                      > > > After having had someone use my publicly available information
                      > > > charge services to my phone bill, open credit card accounts in
                      my
                      > > name
                      > > > and run up bills last year, I'm a bit paranoid about passing
                      banking
                      > > > information unencrypted over the Internet.
                      > > >
                      > > > Am I being unreasonable?
                      > > >
                      > > > The situation makes me feel like I'm being forced to step back
                      in
                      > > > time. It reminds me of the early days of Czech online retailing,
                      > > > where Czech law would let you sell over the Internet, but it
                      > > wouldn't
                      > > > let people pay with a credit card unless they gave the retailer
                      > > > physical signature, which defeated the purpose of online
                      retailing.

                      > > > It seems that it should be legal for companies to get a person's
                      > > > banking information by snail mail once, and then have them
                      invoice
                      > > > over the Internet without including it.
                      > > >
                      > > > Any thoughts?
                      > > >
                      > > > Jamie

                    • Romana
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 27 5:42 PM
                        Hello Jamie,

                        I understand your position, as here – in Australia – most people are very
                        secretive about their bank account details, too. Just yesterday, I have
                        heard from my vet, when I wanted to pay a $1,200 bill for a cat that died
                        anyway: “I am not giving my bank details out to anybody!”

                        I am not sure how advanced Nigerian defrauders are in handling and
                        manipulating personal information over the Internet, but just recently I
                        almost became victim of some conmen from KONGO advertising on the Internet
                        that they were looking for good homes for certain pets (in my case it was a
                        baby monkey seeking ‘adoption’, but they also offer dogs, cats, birds or
                        reptiles). They pretend to live in your own country, but far enough away to
                        prove it necessary that they have to send the animal by airplane. To arrange
                        transport, they request all sorts of personal information, including your
                        bank account details, writing “Unfortunately, it is not possible to
                        determine the exact amount required to cover the costs of transport in
                        advance. We fully understand if you don’t want to disclose your credit card
                        number, so just give us ....”. After that, I believe your concerns are fully
                        justified.

                        An idea: What about working with PayPal or Moneybookers? In this case, the
                        only ”bank account detail” there is would be your email address. Would the
                        Czech agency be happy with that?

                        Best regards,

                        Romana

                        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                        James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:

                        > Hee, hee! Then I have to go back to the fax era! :-)
                        >
                        > Jamie
                        >
                        > On Aug 27, 2008, at 11:58 AM, Jennifer Hejtmánková wrote:
                        >
                        > > Fax?
                        > >
                        > > jennifer
                        > >
                        > > On 27.8.2008, at 17:07, James Kirchner wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > I know I've written you folks about the outrageously excessive
                        > > > information requirements for invoices in some European
                        countries.

                        > > > Given that the invoice has to require all of the information
                        > > necessary
                        > > > for anyone to access your bank account (bank address, routing
                        > > number,
                        > > > account number, SWIFT code, etc.), it seems very risky to me to
                        send
                        > > > such invoices over the Internet, so I print them out and send
                        them
                        > > by
                        > > > ordinary mail. After all, it's more information than the
                        Nigerians
                        > > > need to drain your whole account.
                        > > >
                        > > > However, I got an e-mail today from a Czech agency that wants
                        me to
                        > > > send all that stuff over the Internet. They very kindly told me
                        that
                        > > > I didn't have to send it by ordinary post. I very kindly told
                        them
                        > > > that I did.
                        > > >
                        > > > After having had someone use my publicly available information
                        > > > charge services to my phone bill, open credit card accounts in
                        my
                        > > name
                        > > > and run up bills last year, I'm a bit paranoid about passing
                        banking
                        > > > information unencrypted over the Internet.
                        > > >
                        > > > Am I being unreasonable?
                        > > >
                        > > > The situation makes me feel like I'm being forced to step back
                        in
                        > > > time. It reminds me of the early days of Czech online retailing,
                        > > > where Czech law would let you sell over the Internet, but it
                        > > wouldn't
                        > > > let people pay with a credit card unless they gave the retailer
                        > > > physical signature, which defeated the purpose of online
                        retailing.

                        > > > It seems that it should be legal for companies to get a person's
                        > > > banking information by snail mail once, and then have them
                        invoice
                        > > > over the Internet without including it.
                        > > >
                        > > > Any thoughts?
                        > > >
                        > > > Jamie

                      • Josef Hlavac
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 28 6:10 AM
                          Jamie,

                          I think that your reluctant feeling stems from the very different way
                          that invoices are settled and banking in general is done in the US and
                          in CZ (or EU).

                          When you want to pay someone (e.g. settle an invoice):
                          - In the US, the easiest and most natural way is to send them a check.
                          It is very weird (and expensive), albeit possible, to use a wire transfer.
                          - In CZ (and most of EU, AFAIK), the easiest and most natural way is to
                          wire the money. It is very weird (and expensive), albeit possible, to
                          use a check.

                          To do a wire transfer ("bank transfer"), you need the recipient's name,
                          account number, as well as the bank's name, address and SWIFT code. To
                          deal with VAT issues properly, you also need the recipient's VAT
                          registration number. Hence, it is either customary (in some European
                          countries) or maybe even mandatory (in others) to include this sort of
                          information on the invoice - without it, the client can't pay you.
                          Naturally, you don't need any of that if you pay by check.

                          Recently, the ACH (Automated Clearing House) system has been established
                          in the US. From what I've read, it basically aims to provide the ease
                          and convenience that is similar to Czech bank transfers, as an
                          alternative to paper checks. However, in my opinion, the system is
                          rather insafe for account holders. One can easily issue a debit
                          transaction against someone else's account, and such (legitimate)
                          transactions are common. Even though these transactions need to be
                          authorized by the account holder first, one of the possible forms of
                          authorization consists of clicking an "I Agree" button on the other
                          party's website - and that is extremely easy to fake. Your only defence
                          is to review the transactions on your account very frequently and
                          immediately report anything unusual to your bank.

                          Conversely, in CZ, debit transactions against third-party accounts are
                          much more limited and rare. The most widely used exception is the "SIPO"
                          (single payment system for all utilities etc.), which is usually treated
                          separately. Money-lending institutions also like to use "inkaso",
                          meaning they take their due payments directly from your account.
                          However, all of these transactions require that you send a prior
                          authorization directly to your bank (not to the other party, as in ACH).
                          You also need to specify the other party's account number (money cannot
                          go anywhere else) and an upper limit for the amount of each transaction.
                          And a reasonable bank will always check the signature and ask for a
                          picture ID whenever someone claims to be an account holder (mine does :)

                          So, in my opinion, disclosing your US banking details may indeed present
                          a higher risk than disclosing your European banking details, and I
                          understand your unwillingness to share your account number. OTOH, it is
                          not perceived as a risk here in Europe - where, if the bank does its job
                          right, the information is not sufficient to get money out of your account.

                          My €0.02 :)

                          Josef

                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 28 6:29 AM
                            Thanks, Josef. The heat is off me for now, because the client has
                            said I can send further invoices electronically without the banking
                            information, as long as I notify them when that information has changed.

                            I'm going to call my bank and see just how secure it is to give out
                            that information.

                            Jamie