Re: Re: CAT software

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2000
      Vit Ruzicka wrote:

      > Well, I have read a little about CAT lately and my opinion is that the
      very idea of CAT may not be dismissed lightheartedly. Just a few remarks:

      I can't recall Computer-Aided Translating (that's what CAT stands for, isn't
      it - I hate abbreviations) discussed on the list, but whatever has been said
      I'm sure anything that can be put in an algorithm, can be processed by a
      "computer". It depends on the technology level. So why don't we just set up
      a business to be the first to develop such technology so we are not the ones
      who will lose by such development? I know, there ain't enough cash. Let's go
      on translating the primitive tedious way, then.

      Jirka Bolech
      Liberec, CR
    • Vit Ruzicka
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 6, 2000
        Hi everybody
        I have somehow been out of touch, although receiving the daily digests.
        Well, I have read a little about CAT lately and my opinion is that the very idea of CAT may not be dismissed lightheartedly. Just a few remarks:
        Many years ago, computers were believed not to be able to play chess, ever. Those days, the chess game was considered too creative for computers to cope. Today, programmes like Chessmaster simply compare a database of 300 000 chess games with a single move in a game and are able to achieve a high standard of excellence in the final product, i. e. the chess game for this instance.
        Mentioning the chess and computers, many similarities may be drawn to CAT. Again, a database is compared with a "single move" (a translation of a segment, which is usually a sentence) and a suggestion is made on a basis of database contents.
        Just when the time comes of readily available reliable databases of millions of "segment translation solutions" nobody can really be certain.
        Vit
      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2000
          >I'm sure anything that can be put in an algorithm, can be processed by a
          >"computer". It depends on the technology level.

          A pretty big leap to assume that language translation can be
          algorithmic, isn't it? I rather suspect it can't.

          >So why don't we just set up
          >a business to be the first to develop such technology so we are not the ones
          >who will lose by such development? I know, there ain't enough cash. Let's go
          >on translating the primitive tedious way, then.

          People have been working on it for decades with very limited results.
          Right now the most promising avenue seems to be "controlled
          language"--i.e. writing texts specifically to be processed by machine
          translation systems. I suppose a lot of the computer manuals that
          have been our bread and butter lately could theoretically be written
          that way....

          Michael
        • Otto Pacholik
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 6, 2000
            Hi everybody in the New Year,

            I'd like to say someting about the CAT tools as I have been studying them
            and working with them for a couple of years now. I think there exists a
            common misunderstanding what this acronym stands for.

            CAT tools can be divided into MT and MAHT tools. The first acronym stands
            for Machine Translation and there is still a long way to go, in order to
            achieve really acceptable results.
            The second stands for Machine Aided Human Translation. This is the kind of
            tools I have been using. Some examples - Trados Translator's Workbench, IBM
            Translation Manager, Atril's DejaVu, which is my favorite. These tools are
            really valuable if you have repetitive translations as software
            localiyations, technical manuals, etc. This type of tools is quite mature
            and of a great help to any experienced technical translator.
            MT tools are focused on people having little or none language knowledge and
            they are, at least nowadays, able to give you just a very high-level
            overview of a document contents, sometimes in a funny language. However, Vit
            is right these tools are constantly being improved and with the increasing
            computing power the results are also beginning to be more and more
            acceptable. But the way to a perfect translation is still long and, by my
            opinion, unachievable, due the each language variability. More complicated
            texts will remain in hands of professional translators, the easier ones will
            be automatically processed using MT tools.

            Regards,

            Otto
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 6, 2000
              > >I'm sure anything that can be put in an algorithm, can be processed by a
              > >"computer". It depends on the technology level.
              >
              > A pretty big leap to assume that language translation can be
              > algorithmic, isn't it? I rather suspect it can't.

              I leave this to everybody to decide for herself or himself.

              Jirka Bolech
              Liberec, CR