Re: [Czechlist] FUN: How to search for terminology

  • Jennifer Hejtmánková
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
      well, I won't deny that sometimes I do get stuck on an oddly worded
      sentence and I find the new Google Translate function to be helpful
      sometimes in getting over the hump. But I of course can recognize
      blbosti :)

      jennifer

      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
        I find that a good strategy is to type the problematic expression in
        quotation marks, and outside the quotation marks type "English". As
        often as not, this leads to some bilingual site with versions of a
        document containing the expression in both languages.

        This doesn't work for most sites in the Czech Republic, because
        there's no way to type a British flag. :-)

        Jamie

      • meluzina_x
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
          I think one of my favorites that I ran across a year or two back read:

          "TOMATOES WITH BUFFALO MOZZARELA and salad of oposum boiled in curcuma
          steam".

          (The Czech version read: "Tomaty s buvoli mozzarelou a salatem z
          kuskusu vareneho v kurkumove pare".)

          the item seems to have disappeared from the restaurant's menu...

          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Turner" <turner.gerald@...>
          wrote:

          > Maybe that's how the Prague Public Transit Company obtains its
          translations.
          > Or is anyone prepared to own up to them? A recent gem I heard was "this
          > train is not designed for public use" - tento vlak neni urc^en .
          >
          > Gerry
          >
          > On 04/08/2008, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Great idea! That's how I got "Würstchengeneral" and "ventilator
          > > club"! Most movie stars and pop singers have ventilator clubs.
          > >
          > > Jamie
          > >
          > > On Aug 4, 2008, at 2:20 PM, Josef Hlavac wrote:
          > >
          > > > Hi folks,
          > > >
          > > > I have to share this one with you.
          > > >
          > > > When discussing a particular term, a beginner translator whose
          work I
          > > > proofread explained to me his way of searching for terminology.
          > > >
          > > > He'd simply google up a web page containing that term in the source
          > > > language, and then have Google translate that page into the target
          > > > language...
          > > >
          > > > Cool, don't you think?
          > > >
          > > > Josef

          > --
          > Czech-In Translations
          > V lesíčku 5
          > 150 00 Prague 5
          > Czech Republic
          > Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194
          >
          > To see a World in a Grain of Sand
          > And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
          > Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
          > And Eternity in an hour.

        • spektrum2002
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
            Myslim, kdyby nejhorsi chyba, kterou automaticky prekladac udela,
            byla, ze "hotdog general" prelozi jako "Wuerstchengeneral", mohli by
            si lingvisticti programatori gratulovat a my prekladatele bychom byli
            poslani do penze.
            Petr Adamek

            > "Würstchengeneral" began as some reference or other to the
            > revolutionary war hero "Mad Anthony Wayne", who ended up a general in
            > the US army. Because he was such a big risk taker, the text referred
            > to him as a "hotdog general"
          • meluzina_x
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
              Vice mene souhlasim, ale, podle meho, vetsi problem je v tom, ze lidi
              (a to myslim takoveho 'normalniho clovicka'), netusi, ze program bude
              'spatne fungovat' a zacnou na to spolehat - vysledek bude, ze se bude
              muset vic a vic korigovat - prace ktera me moc nesedi :(

              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                Ahoj Petre,

                > ...mohli by si lingvisticti programatori gratulovat a my prekladatele
                bychom byli poslani do penze.

                To jako, ze by nam nekdo platil, ze uz jsme k nicemu? Mozna to tak jednou
                bude: penze za obor, kteremu se clovek nauci -> ze skoly rovnou do
                duchodu...

                Jirka Bolech
              • meluzina_x
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                  chtela bych pridat, ze to neplati jenom pro preklady z cestiny do
                  anglictiny, ale vseobecne...

                  nedavno jsem mela prelozit par dokumentu do cestiny (ale neformalne,
                  jelikoz vim, ze ma spizovna cestina neni na urovni, ktere byly bud z
                  nemctiny anebo slovinctiny ---

                  napriklad:

                  "Only this one who informs himself about existing risks and takes
                  suitable measures is able to minimize his personal risk. How to
                  protect you is shown..."

                  anebo

                  "Your work is very various â€" from HRM, accountancy, organizing to
                  legally field. You have to be an expert on so many different fields
                  and be ready to solve different also critical situations. "

                  In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "meluzina_x" <meluzinax@...> wrote:

                  > Vice mene souhlasim, ale, podle meho, vetsi problem je v tom, ze lidi
                  > (a to myslim takoveho 'normalniho clovicka'), netusi, ze program bude
                  > 'spatne fungovat' a zacnou na to spolehat - vysledek bude, ze se bude
                  > muset vic a vic korigovat - prace ktera me moc nesedi :(
                  >
                  > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "spektrum2002" <padamek@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Myslim, kdyby nejhorsi chyba, kterou automaticky prekladac udela,
                  > > byla, ze "hotdog general" prelozi jako "Wuerstchengeneral", mohli by
                  > > si lingvisticti programatori gratulovat a my prekladatele bychom byli
                  > > poslani do penze.
                  > > Petr Adamek
                  > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@> wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > "Würstchengeneral" began as some reference or other to the
                  > > > revolutionary war hero "Mad Anthony Wayne", who ended up a general
                  > in
                  > > > the US army. Because he was such a big risk taker, the text
                  > referred
                  > > > to him as a "hotdog general"

                • spektrum2002
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                    Tak jo, takze ... a my prekladatele bychom si museli hledat jinou praci.
                    Takhle to beres?
                    P.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                      > Tak jo, takze ... a my prekladatele bychom si museli hledat jinou praci.
                      Takhle to beres?

                      Ja to myslel spise futuristicky a s nadsazkou: pokud pujde technicky pokrok
                      stale dopredu a vse, co lze algoritmizovat, budou delat pocitace, lidi
                      nebudou na vetsinu cinnosti jiz potreba. Takze politicky dusledek by mohl
                      byt, ze penze bude proste za to, ze clovek neco vystudoval. Asi komunizmus.

                      Samozrejme lze tusit, ze budoucnost, alespon politicky, bude o dost jina,
                      ale na druhou stranu musi mist spousta lidi pocit, ze jim stroje pomalu ale
                      jiste berou praci. Historie se opakuje...

                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                        Isn't there more "korigovani" with Czech agencies anyway?

                        I was first asked to get into translating because the local translator
                        with the soudni razitko had translated "lednice na pokojich" as
                        "reefer in the room", among other gems.

                        Since then, I can't have contact with any Czech publisher or agency
                        for very long before I'm asked to take on the task of repairing large
                        quantities of Czech-to-English translation that nobody seemed to
                        notice was nonsensical at the time it was done. The usual proposal is
                        that they gave the "translator" the fat fee, and they want me to
                        virtually retranslate the work for whatever is left in the budget
                        after paying him.

                        Sometimes the "translator" is a Czech with an exaggerated esteem for
                        his bad English, and sometimes it's a native English speaker who
                        pretends to know Czech but pretty much doesn't, and he just makes up
                        something imaginative when he doesn't understand the original.

                        The big question to me is why the Czechs do this a lot, but I don't
                        get this type of request from the French, the Germans or the Italians.

                        Jamie

                        On Aug 5, 2008, at 10:03 AM, meluzina_x wrote:

                        > Vice mene souhlasim, ale, podle meho, vetsi problem je v tom, ze lidi
                        > (a to myslim takoveho 'normalniho clovicka'), netusi, ze program bude
                        > 'spatne fungovat' a zacnou na to spolehat - vysledek bude, ze se bude
                        > muset vic a vic korigovat - prace ktera me moc nesedi :(
                        >
                        > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "spektrum2002" <padamek@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Myslim, kdyby nejhorsi chyba, kterou automaticky prekladac udela,
                        > > byla, ze "hotdog general" prelozi jako "Wuerstchengeneral", mohli by
                        > > si lingvisticti programatori gratulovat a my prekladatele bychom
                        > byli
                        > > poslani do penze.
                        > > Petr Adamek
                        > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@> wrote:
                        > > >

                        > > > "Würstchengeneral" began as some reference or other to the
                        > > > revolutionary war hero "Mad Anthony Wayne", who ended up a general
                        > in
                        > > > the US army. Because he was such a big risk taker, the text
                        > referred
                        > > > to him as a "hotdog general"

                      • meluzina_x
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                          Hopefully, you have not had to repair many of mine :) although there
                          is always room for correction - I stop rereading my translations after
                          the third time as a rule - as I always find things that could be
                          stated better.

                          The 'korigovani' is a terrible task - I always say I will not take on
                          any more. Famous last words... I generally discover that it might have
                          been faster to retranslate the whole thing - and I get paid half of
                          what I receive for translating :(

                          I admit I do receive most of my translations through an agency, and
                          there are more than enough. They don't ask me to do much "korigovani"
                          - but the times I have accepted tyis type of work I have always
                          regretted it.

                          V.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                            You said:

                            >> I generally discover that it might have
                            >> been faster to retranslate the whole thing - and I get paid half of
                            >> what I receive for translating :(

                            It's not the fact that YOU get half the money you would get for
                            translating. The thing that burns me up is that THE ROTTEN TRANSLATOR
                            got double what you did when you're the one who did the real
                            translation. It infuriates me.

                            Jamie

                          • spektrum2002
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                              Podle meho nazoru tkvi odpoved na "the big question" v tom, ze v Cesku
                              oproti Nemecku atd. je velmi malo lidi, kteri umeji skutecne dobre
                              cesky i anglicky, a pokud jsou, vydelavaji si mnohem zajimaveji nez
                              prekladanim. Je to porad jeste pozustatek toho, ze za minuleho rezimu
                              nepatrila anglictina ke vseobecnemu vzdelani, kdezto v zapadnich
                              evropskych zemich ano.
                              Dalsi vec je, ze zakaznik si vetsinou mysli, ze kdyz si objedna
                              preklad u prekladatelske agentury, ze tim ma zaruku, ze dostane
                              kvalitni preklad. Hodne zakazniku by asi bylo prekvapeno, kdyby se
                              dovedeli, ze jejich material prelozil do anglictiny nekdo, kdo neumi
                              dokonale idiomaticky anglicky.
                              Kdybych mohl zakaznikum radit, vzdycky bych jim poradil, aby si
                              vyzadali, aby na jejich prekladu pracoval spolecne rodily cesky mluvci
                              s rodilym anglickym mluvcim, ze to je jedina (jakz-takz) zaruka, ze v
                              prekladu nebudou chyby. Ale upozornil bych je, ze si za to budou muset
                              samozrejme dejme tomu 100% priplatit.
                              A jsou zakaznici, kterym by tech penez bylo lito, hlavne at je to
                              "nejak" prelozene.
                              A jeste neco: ze delat korektury je spise charita nez zpusob, jak
                              prijit k penezum, to je nesporny fakt. Urcite bych nedelal korekturu
                              nikomu, kdo mi neprideluje take preklady.
                              Petr A.

                              > Isn't there more "korigovani" with Czech agencies anyway?
                              >
                              > I was first asked to get into translating because the local translator
                              > with the soudni razitko had translated "lednice na pokojich" as
                              > "reefer in the room", among other gems.
                              >
                              > Since then, I can't have contact with any Czech publisher or agency
                              > for very long before I'm asked to take on the task of repairing large
                              > quantities of Czech-to-English translation that nobody seemed to
                              > notice was nonsensical at the time it was done. The usual proposal is
                              > that they gave the "translator" the fat fee, and they want me to
                              > virtually retranslate the work for whatever is left in the budget
                              > after paying him.
                              >
                              > Sometimes the "translator" is a Czech with an exaggerated esteem for
                              > his bad English, and sometimes it's a native English speaker who
                              > pretends to know Czech but pretty much doesn't, and he just makes up
                              > something imaginative when he doesn't understand the original.
                              >
                              > The big question to me is why the Czechs do this a lot, but I don't
                              > get this type of request from the French, the Germans or the Italians.
                              >
                              > Jamie
                              >
                              > On Aug 5, 2008, at 10:03 AM, meluzina_x wrote:
                              >
                              > > Vice mene souhlasim, ale, podle meho, vetsi problem je v tom, ze lidi
                              > > (a to myslim takoveho 'normalniho clovicka'), netusi, ze program bude
                              > > 'spatne fungovat' a zacnou na to spolehat - vysledek bude, ze se bude
                              > > muset vic a vic korigovat - prace ktera me moc nesedi :(
                              > >
                              > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "spektrum2002" <padamek@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Myslim, kdyby nejhorsi chyba, kterou automaticky prekladac udela,
                              > > > byla, ze "hotdog general" prelozi jako "Wuerstchengeneral", mohli by
                              > > > si lingvisticti programatori gratulovat a my prekladatele bychom
                              > > byli
                              > > > poslani do penze.
                              > > > Petr Adamek

                              > > in
                              > > referred

                            • meluzina_x
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                                nu, v breznu bych byvala s Tebou souhlasila na 100%, ale po tom, co
                                jsem mela prekladat (vyjimecne do cestiny) neco co bylo prelozeno z
                                nemciny do anglictiny (v rakousku), tak jsem trosku zmenila nazor -
                                zda se, ze takove lidi jsou vsude

                                a mohl by si mi poradit, kde si mohu vydelavat lepe a pri tom zustat
                                na ty moje samote u lesa? :D

                                pravda je, ma cestina neni dokonala (kdyz po me nekdo chce, abych
                                prekladala do cestiny, tak je vzdy upozornim na to, ze jsem se v
                                zivote nikdy "neucila" cesky - to klobouk dolu moji mamce, ktera me
                                naucila aspon trosku te spisovne cestiny doma - a tez tatkovi, ktery
                                me naucil aspon trosku moravsky :D )

                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                                  Sorry for a perhaps even more infuriating question, Jamie, but you are
                                  always free not to accept an editing job. I have been consistently
                                  refusing them for over 4 years - and surprise, surprise! It works....

                                  And no, it's not just that there are not enough translators speaking
                                  native English or German in Czechia. There are a lot of Czech natives
                                  who happily translate (into Czech) without being able to even WRITE a
                                  decent sentence in their mother tongue....

                                  Martin