Re: [Czechlist] FUN: How to search for terminology

  • Gerald Turner
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
      Maybe that's how the Prague Public Transit Company obtains its translations.
      Or is anyone prepared to own up to them? A recent gem I heard was "this
      train is not designed for public use" - tento vlak neni urc^en .

      Gerry

      On 04/08/2008, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:

      > Great idea! That's how I got "Würstchengeneral" and "ventilator
      > club"! Most movie stars and pop singers have ventilator clubs.
      >
      > Jamie
      >
      > On Aug 4, 2008, at 2:20 PM, Josef Hlavac wrote:
      >
      > > Hi folks,
      > >
      > > I have to share this one with you.
      > >
      > > When discussing a particular term, a beginner translator whose work I
      > > proofread explained to me his way of searching for terminology.
      > >
      > > He'd simply google up a web page containing that term in the source
      > > language, and then have Google translate that page into the target
      > > language...
      > >
      > > Cool, don't you think?
      > >
      > > Josef

      Czech-In Translations
      V lesíčku 5
      150 00 Prague 5
      Czech Republic
      Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194

      To see a World in a Grain of Sand
      And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
      Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
      And Eternity in an hour.

      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
        This IS the first time around.

        I used to amuse myself by having BabbleFish, AltaVista or Google
        translate things into some other language and back. "Fan club"
        appeared in Spanish as "club de ventilador" and came back as
        "ventilator club".

        "Würstchengeneral" began as some reference or other to the
        revolutionary war hero "Mad Anthony Wayne", who ended up a general in
        the US army. Because he was such a big risk taker, the text referred
        to him as a "hotdog general", similar to a hotdog skier, but of course
        "Würstchengeneral" simply means a sausage that holds a high military
        office.

        Jamie

        On Aug 4, 2008, at 3:07 PM, Gerald Turner wrote:

        > Please remind us of them, Jamie. Maybe I missed them first time round.
        >
        > Gerry
        >
        > On 04/08/2008, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Great idea! That's how I got "Würstchengeneral" and "ventilator
        > > club"! Most movie stars and pop singers have ventilator clubs.
        > >
        > > Jamie
        > >
        > > On Aug 4, 2008, at 2:20 PM, Josef Hlavac wrote:
        > >
        > > > Hi folks,
        > > >
        > > > I have to share this one with you.
        > > >
        > > > When discussing a particular term, a beginner translator whose
        > work I
        > > > proofread explained to me his way of searching for terminology.
        > > >
        > > > He'd simply google up a web page containing that term in the
        > source
        > > > language, and then have Google translate that page into the target
        > > > language...
        > > >
        > > > Cool, don't you think?
        > > >
        > > > Josef

        > --
        > Czech-In Translations
        > V lesíčku 5
        > 150 00 Prague 5
        > Czech Republic
        > Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194
        >
        > To see a World in a Grain of Sand
        > And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
        > Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
        > And Eternity in an hour.

      • Jennifer Hejtmánková
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
          well, I won't deny that sometimes I do get stuck on an oddly worded
          sentence and I find the new Google Translate function to be helpful
          sometimes in getting over the hump. But I of course can recognize
          blbosti :)

          jennifer

          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
            I find that a good strategy is to type the problematic expression in
            quotation marks, and outside the quotation marks type "English". As
            often as not, this leads to some bilingual site with versions of a
            document containing the expression in both languages.

            This doesn't work for most sites in the Czech Republic, because
            there's no way to type a British flag. :-)

            Jamie

          • meluzina_x
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
              I think one of my favorites that I ran across a year or two back read:

              "TOMATOES WITH BUFFALO MOZZARELA and salad of oposum boiled in curcuma
              steam".

              (The Czech version read: "Tomaty s buvoli mozzarelou a salatem z
              kuskusu vareneho v kurkumove pare".)

              the item seems to have disappeared from the restaurant's menu...

              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Turner" <turner.gerald@...>
              wrote:

              > Maybe that's how the Prague Public Transit Company obtains its
              translations.
              > Or is anyone prepared to own up to them? A recent gem I heard was "this
              > train is not designed for public use" - tento vlak neni urc^en .
              >
              > Gerry
              >
              > On 04/08/2008, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Great idea! That's how I got "Würstchengeneral" and "ventilator
              > > club"! Most movie stars and pop singers have ventilator clubs.
              > >
              > > Jamie
              > >
              > > On Aug 4, 2008, at 2:20 PM, Josef Hlavac wrote:
              > >
              > > > Hi folks,
              > > >
              > > > I have to share this one with you.
              > > >
              > > > When discussing a particular term, a beginner translator whose
              work I
              > > > proofread explained to me his way of searching for terminology.
              > > >
              > > > He'd simply google up a web page containing that term in the source
              > > > language, and then have Google translate that page into the target
              > > > language...
              > > >
              > > > Cool, don't you think?
              > > >
              > > > Josef

              > --
              > Czech-In Translations
              > V lesíčku 5
              > 150 00 Prague 5
              > Czech Republic
              > Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194
              >
              > To see a World in a Grain of Sand
              > And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
              > Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
              > And Eternity in an hour.

            • spektrum2002
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                Myslim, kdyby nejhorsi chyba, kterou automaticky prekladac udela,
                byla, ze "hotdog general" prelozi jako "Wuerstchengeneral", mohli by
                si lingvisticti programatori gratulovat a my prekladatele bychom byli
                poslani do penze.
                Petr Adamek

                > "Würstchengeneral" began as some reference or other to the
                > revolutionary war hero "Mad Anthony Wayne", who ended up a general in
                > the US army. Because he was such a big risk taker, the text referred
                > to him as a "hotdog general"
              • meluzina_x
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                  Vice mene souhlasim, ale, podle meho, vetsi problem je v tom, ze lidi
                  (a to myslim takoveho 'normalniho clovicka'), netusi, ze program bude
                  'spatne fungovat' a zacnou na to spolehat - vysledek bude, ze se bude
                  muset vic a vic korigovat - prace ktera me moc nesedi :(

                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                    Ahoj Petre,

                    > ...mohli by si lingvisticti programatori gratulovat a my prekladatele
                    bychom byli poslani do penze.

                    To jako, ze by nam nekdo platil, ze uz jsme k nicemu? Mozna to tak jednou
                    bude: penze za obor, kteremu se clovek nauci -> ze skoly rovnou do
                    duchodu...

                    Jirka Bolech
                  • meluzina_x
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                      chtela bych pridat, ze to neplati jenom pro preklady z cestiny do
                      anglictiny, ale vseobecne...

                      nedavno jsem mela prelozit par dokumentu do cestiny (ale neformalne,
                      jelikoz vim, ze ma spizovna cestina neni na urovni, ktere byly bud z
                      nemctiny anebo slovinctiny ---

                      napriklad:

                      "Only this one who informs himself about existing risks and takes
                      suitable measures is able to minimize his personal risk. How to
                      protect you is shown..."

                      anebo

                      "Your work is very various â€" from HRM, accountancy, organizing to
                      legally field. You have to be an expert on so many different fields
                      and be ready to solve different also critical situations. "

                      In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "meluzina_x" <meluzinax@...> wrote:

                      > Vice mene souhlasim, ale, podle meho, vetsi problem je v tom, ze lidi
                      > (a to myslim takoveho 'normalniho clovicka'), netusi, ze program bude
                      > 'spatne fungovat' a zacnou na to spolehat - vysledek bude, ze se bude
                      > muset vic a vic korigovat - prace ktera me moc nesedi :(
                      >
                      > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "spektrum2002" <padamek@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Myslim, kdyby nejhorsi chyba, kterou automaticky prekladac udela,
                      > > byla, ze "hotdog general" prelozi jako "Wuerstchengeneral", mohli by
                      > > si lingvisticti programatori gratulovat a my prekladatele bychom byli
                      > > poslani do penze.
                      > > Petr Adamek
                      > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@> wrote:
                      > > >

                      > > > "Würstchengeneral" began as some reference or other to the
                      > > > revolutionary war hero "Mad Anthony Wayne", who ended up a general
                      > in
                      > > > the US army. Because he was such a big risk taker, the text
                      > referred
                      > > > to him as a "hotdog general"

                    • spektrum2002
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                        Tak jo, takze ... a my prekladatele bychom si museli hledat jinou praci.
                        Takhle to beres?
                        P.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                          > Tak jo, takze ... a my prekladatele bychom si museli hledat jinou praci.
                          Takhle to beres?

                          Ja to myslel spise futuristicky a s nadsazkou: pokud pujde technicky pokrok
                          stale dopredu a vse, co lze algoritmizovat, budou delat pocitace, lidi
                          nebudou na vetsinu cinnosti jiz potreba. Takze politicky dusledek by mohl
                          byt, ze penze bude proste za to, ze clovek neco vystudoval. Asi komunizmus.

                          Samozrejme lze tusit, ze budoucnost, alespon politicky, bude o dost jina,
                          ale na druhou stranu musi mist spousta lidi pocit, ze jim stroje pomalu ale
                          jiste berou praci. Historie se opakuje...

                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                            Isn't there more "korigovani" with Czech agencies anyway?

                            I was first asked to get into translating because the local translator
                            with the soudni razitko had translated "lednice na pokojich" as
                            "reefer in the room", among other gems.

                            Since then, I can't have contact with any Czech publisher or agency
                            for very long before I'm asked to take on the task of repairing large
                            quantities of Czech-to-English translation that nobody seemed to
                            notice was nonsensical at the time it was done. The usual proposal is
                            that they gave the "translator" the fat fee, and they want me to
                            virtually retranslate the work for whatever is left in the budget
                            after paying him.

                            Sometimes the "translator" is a Czech with an exaggerated esteem for
                            his bad English, and sometimes it's a native English speaker who
                            pretends to know Czech but pretty much doesn't, and he just makes up
                            something imaginative when he doesn't understand the original.

                            The big question to me is why the Czechs do this a lot, but I don't
                            get this type of request from the French, the Germans or the Italians.

                            Jamie

                            On Aug 5, 2008, at 10:03 AM, meluzina_x wrote:

                            > Vice mene souhlasim, ale, podle meho, vetsi problem je v tom, ze lidi
                            > (a to myslim takoveho 'normalniho clovicka'), netusi, ze program bude
                            > 'spatne fungovat' a zacnou na to spolehat - vysledek bude, ze se bude
                            > muset vic a vic korigovat - prace ktera me moc nesedi :(
                            >
                            > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "spektrum2002" <padamek@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Myslim, kdyby nejhorsi chyba, kterou automaticky prekladac udela,
                            > > byla, ze "hotdog general" prelozi jako "Wuerstchengeneral", mohli by
                            > > si lingvisticti programatori gratulovat a my prekladatele bychom
                            > byli
                            > > poslani do penze.
                            > > Petr Adamek
                            > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@> wrote:
                            > > >

                            > > > "Würstchengeneral" began as some reference or other to the
                            > > > revolutionary war hero "Mad Anthony Wayne", who ended up a general
                            > in
                            > > > the US army. Because he was such a big risk taker, the text
                            > referred
                            > > > to him as a "hotdog general"

                          • meluzina_x
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                              Hopefully, you have not had to repair many of mine :) although there
                              is always room for correction - I stop rereading my translations after
                              the third time as a rule - as I always find things that could be
                              stated better.

                              The 'korigovani' is a terrible task - I always say I will not take on
                              any more. Famous last words... I generally discover that it might have
                              been faster to retranslate the whole thing - and I get paid half of
                              what I receive for translating :(

                              I admit I do receive most of my translations through an agency, and
                              there are more than enough. They don't ask me to do much "korigovani"
                              - but the times I have accepted tyis type of work I have always
                              regretted it.

                              V.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                                You said:

                                >> I generally discover that it might have
                                >> been faster to retranslate the whole thing - and I get paid half of
                                >> what I receive for translating :(

                                It's not the fact that YOU get half the money you would get for
                                translating. The thing that burns me up is that THE ROTTEN TRANSLATOR
                                got double what you did when you're the one who did the real
                                translation. It infuriates me.

                                Jamie

                              • spektrum2002
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                                  Podle meho nazoru tkvi odpoved na "the big question" v tom, ze v Cesku
                                  oproti Nemecku atd. je velmi malo lidi, kteri umeji skutecne dobre
                                  cesky i anglicky, a pokud jsou, vydelavaji si mnohem zajimaveji nez
                                  prekladanim. Je to porad jeste pozustatek toho, ze za minuleho rezimu
                                  nepatrila anglictina ke vseobecnemu vzdelani, kdezto v zapadnich
                                  evropskych zemich ano.
                                  Dalsi vec je, ze zakaznik si vetsinou mysli, ze kdyz si objedna
                                  preklad u prekladatelske agentury, ze tim ma zaruku, ze dostane
                                  kvalitni preklad. Hodne zakazniku by asi bylo prekvapeno, kdyby se
                                  dovedeli, ze jejich material prelozil do anglictiny nekdo, kdo neumi
                                  dokonale idiomaticky anglicky.
                                  Kdybych mohl zakaznikum radit, vzdycky bych jim poradil, aby si
                                  vyzadali, aby na jejich prekladu pracoval spolecne rodily cesky mluvci
                                  s rodilym anglickym mluvcim, ze to je jedina (jakz-takz) zaruka, ze v
                                  prekladu nebudou chyby. Ale upozornil bych je, ze si za to budou muset
                                  samozrejme dejme tomu 100% priplatit.
                                  A jsou zakaznici, kterym by tech penez bylo lito, hlavne at je to
                                  "nejak" prelozene.
                                  A jeste neco: ze delat korektury je spise charita nez zpusob, jak
                                  prijit k penezum, to je nesporny fakt. Urcite bych nedelal korekturu
                                  nikomu, kdo mi neprideluje take preklady.
                                  Petr A.

                                  > Isn't there more "korigovani" with Czech agencies anyway?
                                  >
                                  > I was first asked to get into translating because the local translator
                                  > with the soudni razitko had translated "lednice na pokojich" as
                                  > "reefer in the room", among other gems.
                                  >
                                  > Since then, I can't have contact with any Czech publisher or agency
                                  > for very long before I'm asked to take on the task of repairing large
                                  > quantities of Czech-to-English translation that nobody seemed to
                                  > notice was nonsensical at the time it was done. The usual proposal is
                                  > that they gave the "translator" the fat fee, and they want me to
                                  > virtually retranslate the work for whatever is left in the budget
                                  > after paying him.
                                  >
                                  > Sometimes the "translator" is a Czech with an exaggerated esteem for
                                  > his bad English, and sometimes it's a native English speaker who
                                  > pretends to know Czech but pretty much doesn't, and he just makes up
                                  > something imaginative when he doesn't understand the original.
                                  >
                                  > The big question to me is why the Czechs do this a lot, but I don't
                                  > get this type of request from the French, the Germans or the Italians.
                                  >
                                  > Jamie
                                  >
                                  > On Aug 5, 2008, at 10:03 AM, meluzina_x wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Vice mene souhlasim, ale, podle meho, vetsi problem je v tom, ze lidi
                                  > > (a to myslim takoveho 'normalniho clovicka'), netusi, ze program bude
                                  > > 'spatne fungovat' a zacnou na to spolehat - vysledek bude, ze se bude
                                  > > muset vic a vic korigovat - prace ktera me moc nesedi :(
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "spektrum2002" <padamek@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Myslim, kdyby nejhorsi chyba, kterou automaticky prekladac udela,
                                  > > > byla, ze "hotdog general" prelozi jako "Wuerstchengeneral", mohli by
                                  > > > si lingvisticti programatori gratulovat a my prekladatele bychom
                                  > > byli
                                  > > > poslani do penze.
                                  > > > Petr Adamek

                                  > > in
                                  > > referred

                                • meluzina_x
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                                    nu, v breznu bych byvala s Tebou souhlasila na 100%, ale po tom, co
                                    jsem mela prekladat (vyjimecne do cestiny) neco co bylo prelozeno z
                                    nemciny do anglictiny (v rakousku), tak jsem trosku zmenila nazor -
                                    zda se, ze takove lidi jsou vsude

                                    a mohl by si mi poradit, kde si mohu vydelavat lepe a pri tom zustat
                                    na ty moje samote u lesa? :D

                                    pravda je, ma cestina neni dokonala (kdyz po me nekdo chce, abych
                                    prekladala do cestiny, tak je vzdy upozornim na to, ze jsem se v
                                    zivote nikdy "neucila" cesky - to klobouk dolu moji mamce, ktera me
                                    naucila aspon trosku te spisovne cestiny doma - a tez tatkovi, ktery
                                    me naucil aspon trosku moravsky :D )

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                                      Sorry for a perhaps even more infuriating question, Jamie, but you are
                                      always free not to accept an editing job. I have been consistently
                                      refusing them for over 4 years - and surprise, surprise! It works....

                                      And no, it's not just that there are not enough translators speaking
                                      native English or German in Czechia. There are a lot of Czech natives
                                      who happily translate (into Czech) without being able to even WRITE a
                                      decent sentence in their mother tongue....

                                      Martin