Re: [Czechlist] FUN: How to search for terminology

    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
      Great idea! That's how I got "Würstchengeneral" and "ventilator
      club"! Most movie stars and pop singers have ventilator clubs.

      Jamie

      On Aug 4, 2008, at 2:20 PM, Josef Hlavac wrote:

      > Hi folks,
      >
      > I have to share this one with you.
      >
      > When discussing a particular term, a beginner translator whose work I
      > proofread explained to me his way of searching for terminology.
      >
      > He'd simply google up a web page containing that term in the source
      > language, and then have Google translate that page into the target
      > language...
      >
      > Cool, don't you think?
      >
      > Josef

    • Gerald Turner
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
        Please remind us of them, Jamie. Maybe I missed them first time round.

        Gerry

        On 04/08/2008, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:

        > Great idea! That's how I got "Würstchengeneral" and "ventilator
        > club"! Most movie stars and pop singers have ventilator clubs.
        >
        > Jamie
        >
        > On Aug 4, 2008, at 2:20 PM, Josef Hlavac wrote:
        >
        > > Hi folks,
        > >
        > > I have to share this one with you.
        > >
        > > When discussing a particular term, a beginner translator whose work I
        > > proofread explained to me his way of searching for terminology.
        > >
        > > He'd simply google up a web page containing that term in the source
        > > language, and then have Google translate that page into the target
        > > language...
        > >
        > > Cool, don't you think?
        > >
        > > Josef

        Czech-In Translations
        V lesíčku 5
        150 00 Prague 5
        Czech Republic
        Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194

        To see a World in a Grain of Sand
        And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
        Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
        And Eternity in an hour.

      • Gerald Turner
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
          Maybe that's how the Prague Public Transit Company obtains its translations.
          Or is anyone prepared to own up to them? A recent gem I heard was "this
          train is not designed for public use" - tento vlak neni urc^en .

          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
            This IS the first time around.

            I used to amuse myself by having BabbleFish, AltaVista or Google
            translate things into some other language and back. "Fan club"
            appeared in Spanish as "club de ventilador" and came back as
            "ventilator club".

            "Würstchengeneral" began as some reference or other to the
            revolutionary war hero "Mad Anthony Wayne", who ended up a general in
            the US army. Because he was such a big risk taker, the text referred
            to him as a "hotdog general", similar to a hotdog skier, but of course
            "Würstchengeneral" simply means a sausage that holds a high military
            office.

            Jamie

            On Aug 4, 2008, at 3:07 PM, Gerald Turner wrote:

            > Please remind us of them, Jamie. Maybe I missed them first time round.
            >
            > Gerry
            >
            > On 04/08/2008, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Great idea! That's how I got "Würstchengeneral" and "ventilator
            > > club"! Most movie stars and pop singers have ventilator clubs.
            > >
            > > Jamie
            > >
            > > On Aug 4, 2008, at 2:20 PM, Josef Hlavac wrote:
            > >
            > > > Hi folks,
            > > >
            > > > I have to share this one with you.
            > > >
            > > > When discussing a particular term, a beginner translator whose
            > work I
            > > > proofread explained to me his way of searching for terminology.
            > > >
            > > > He'd simply google up a web page containing that term in the
            > source
            > > > language, and then have Google translate that page into the target
            > > > language...
            > > >
            > > > Cool, don't you think?
            > > >
            > > > Josef

            > --
            > Czech-In Translations
            > V lesíčku 5
            > 150 00 Prague 5
            > Czech Republic
            > Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194
            >
            > To see a World in a Grain of Sand
            > And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
            > Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
            > And Eternity in an hour.

          • Jennifer Hejtmánková
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
              well, I won't deny that sometimes I do get stuck on an oddly worded
              sentence and I find the new Google Translate function to be helpful
              sometimes in getting over the hump. But I of course can recognize
              blbosti :)

              jennifer

              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                I find that a good strategy is to type the problematic expression in
                quotation marks, and outside the quotation marks type "English". As
                often as not, this leads to some bilingual site with versions of a
                document containing the expression in both languages.

                This doesn't work for most sites in the Czech Republic, because
                there's no way to type a British flag. :-)

                Jamie

              • meluzina_x
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                  I think one of my favorites that I ran across a year or two back read:

                  "TOMATOES WITH BUFFALO MOZZARELA and salad of oposum boiled in curcuma
                  steam".

                  (The Czech version read: "Tomaty s buvoli mozzarelou a salatem z
                  kuskusu vareneho v kurkumove pare".)

                  the item seems to have disappeared from the restaurant's menu...

                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Turner" <turner.gerald@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Maybe that's how the Prague Public Transit Company obtains its
                  translations.
                  > Or is anyone prepared to own up to them? A recent gem I heard was "this
                  > train is not designed for public use" - tento vlak neni urc^en .
                  >
                  > Gerry
                  >
                  > On 04/08/2008, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Great idea! That's how I got "Würstchengeneral" and "ventilator
                  > > club"! Most movie stars and pop singers have ventilator clubs.
                  > >
                  > > Jamie
                  > >
                  > > On Aug 4, 2008, at 2:20 PM, Josef Hlavac wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Hi folks,
                  > > >
                  > > > I have to share this one with you.
                  > > >
                  > > > When discussing a particular term, a beginner translator whose
                  work I
                  > > > proofread explained to me his way of searching for terminology.
                  > > >
                  > > > He'd simply google up a web page containing that term in the source
                  > > > language, and then have Google translate that page into the target
                  > > > language...
                  > > >
                  > > > Cool, don't you think?
                  > > >
                  > > > Josef

                  > --
                  > Czech-In Translations
                  > V lesíčku 5
                  > 150 00 Prague 5
                  > Czech Republic
                  > Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194
                  >
                  > To see a World in a Grain of Sand
                  > And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
                  > Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
                  > And Eternity in an hour.

                • spektrum2002
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                    Myslim, kdyby nejhorsi chyba, kterou automaticky prekladac udela,
                    byla, ze "hotdog general" prelozi jako "Wuerstchengeneral", mohli by
                    si lingvisticti programatori gratulovat a my prekladatele bychom byli
                    poslani do penze.
                    Petr Adamek

                    > "Würstchengeneral" began as some reference or other to the
                    > revolutionary war hero "Mad Anthony Wayne", who ended up a general in
                    > the US army. Because he was such a big risk taker, the text referred
                    > to him as a "hotdog general"
                  • meluzina_x
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                      Vice mene souhlasim, ale, podle meho, vetsi problem je v tom, ze lidi
                      (a to myslim takoveho 'normalniho clovicka'), netusi, ze program bude
                      'spatne fungovat' a zacnou na to spolehat - vysledek bude, ze se bude
                      muset vic a vic korigovat - prace ktera me moc nesedi :(

                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                        Ahoj Petre,

                        > ...mohli by si lingvisticti programatori gratulovat a my prekladatele
                        bychom byli poslani do penze.

                        To jako, ze by nam nekdo platil, ze uz jsme k nicemu? Mozna to tak jednou
                        bude: penze za obor, kteremu se clovek nauci -> ze skoly rovnou do
                        duchodu...

                        Jirka Bolech
                      • meluzina_x
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                          chtela bych pridat, ze to neplati jenom pro preklady z cestiny do
                          anglictiny, ale vseobecne...

                          nedavno jsem mela prelozit par dokumentu do cestiny (ale neformalne,
                          jelikoz vim, ze ma spizovna cestina neni na urovni, ktere byly bud z
                          nemctiny anebo slovinctiny ---

                          napriklad:

                          "Only this one who informs himself about existing risks and takes
                          suitable measures is able to minimize his personal risk. How to
                          protect you is shown..."

                          anebo

                          "Your work is very various â€" from HRM, accountancy, organizing to
                          legally field. You have to be an expert on so many different fields
                          and be ready to solve different also critical situations. "

                          In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "meluzina_x" <meluzinax@...> wrote:

                          > Vice mene souhlasim, ale, podle meho, vetsi problem je v tom, ze lidi
                          > (a to myslim takoveho 'normalniho clovicka'), netusi, ze program bude
                          > 'spatne fungovat' a zacnou na to spolehat - vysledek bude, ze se bude
                          > muset vic a vic korigovat - prace ktera me moc nesedi :(
                          >
                          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "spektrum2002" <padamek@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Myslim, kdyby nejhorsi chyba, kterou automaticky prekladac udela,
                          > > byla, ze "hotdog general" prelozi jako "Wuerstchengeneral", mohli by
                          > > si lingvisticti programatori gratulovat a my prekladatele bychom byli
                          > > poslani do penze.
                          > > Petr Adamek
                          > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@> wrote:
                          > > >

                          > > > "Würstchengeneral" began as some reference or other to the
                          > > > revolutionary war hero "Mad Anthony Wayne", who ended up a general
                          > in
                          > > > the US army. Because he was such a big risk taker, the text
                          > referred
                          > > > to him as a "hotdog general"

                        • spektrum2002
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                            Tak jo, takze ... a my prekladatele bychom si museli hledat jinou praci.
                            Takhle to beres?
                            P.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                              > Tak jo, takze ... a my prekladatele bychom si museli hledat jinou praci.
                              Takhle to beres?

                              Ja to myslel spise futuristicky a s nadsazkou: pokud pujde technicky pokrok
                              stale dopredu a vse, co lze algoritmizovat, budou delat pocitace, lidi
                              nebudou na vetsinu cinnosti jiz potreba. Takze politicky dusledek by mohl
                              byt, ze penze bude proste za to, ze clovek neco vystudoval. Asi komunizmus.

                              Samozrejme lze tusit, ze budoucnost, alespon politicky, bude o dost jina,
                              ale na druhou stranu musi mist spousta lidi pocit, ze jim stroje pomalu ale
                              jiste berou praci. Historie se opakuje...

                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                                Isn't there more "korigovani" with Czech agencies anyway?

                                I was first asked to get into translating because the local translator
                                with the soudni razitko had translated "lednice na pokojich" as
                                "reefer in the room", among other gems.

                                Since then, I can't have contact with any Czech publisher or agency
                                for very long before I'm asked to take on the task of repairing large
                                quantities of Czech-to-English translation that nobody seemed to
                                notice was nonsensical at the time it was done. The usual proposal is
                                that they gave the "translator" the fat fee, and they want me to
                                virtually retranslate the work for whatever is left in the budget
                                after paying him.

                                Sometimes the "translator" is a Czech with an exaggerated esteem for
                                his bad English, and sometimes it's a native English speaker who
                                pretends to know Czech but pretty much doesn't, and he just makes up
                                something imaginative when he doesn't understand the original.

                                The big question to me is why the Czechs do this a lot, but I don't
                                get this type of request from the French, the Germans or the Italians.

                                Jamie

                                On Aug 5, 2008, at 10:03 AM, meluzina_x wrote:

                                > Vice mene souhlasim, ale, podle meho, vetsi problem je v tom, ze lidi
                                > (a to myslim takoveho 'normalniho clovicka'), netusi, ze program bude
                                > 'spatne fungovat' a zacnou na to spolehat - vysledek bude, ze se bude
                                > muset vic a vic korigovat - prace ktera me moc nesedi :(
                                >
                                > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "spektrum2002" <padamek@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Myslim, kdyby nejhorsi chyba, kterou automaticky prekladac udela,
                                > > byla, ze "hotdog general" prelozi jako "Wuerstchengeneral", mohli by
                                > > si lingvisticti programatori gratulovat a my prekladatele bychom
                                > byli
                                > > poslani do penze.
                                > > Petr Adamek
                                > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@> wrote:
                                > > >

                                > > > "Würstchengeneral" began as some reference or other to the
                                > > > revolutionary war hero "Mad Anthony Wayne", who ended up a general
                                > in
                                > > > the US army. Because he was such a big risk taker, the text
                                > referred
                                > > > to him as a "hotdog general"

                              • meluzina_x
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                                  Hopefully, you have not had to repair many of mine :) although there
                                  is always room for correction - I stop rereading my translations after
                                  the third time as a rule - as I always find things that could be
                                  stated better.

                                  The 'korigovani' is a terrible task - I always say I will not take on
                                  any more. Famous last words... I generally discover that it might have
                                  been faster to retranslate the whole thing - and I get paid half of
                                  what I receive for translating :(

                                  I admit I do receive most of my translations through an agency, and
                                  there are more than enough. They don't ask me to do much "korigovani"
                                  - but the times I have accepted tyis type of work I have always
                                  regretted it.

                                  V.

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                                    You said:

                                    >> I generally discover that it might have
                                    >> been faster to retranslate the whole thing - and I get paid half of
                                    >> what I receive for translating :(

                                    It's not the fact that YOU get half the money you would get for
                                    translating. The thing that burns me up is that THE ROTTEN TRANSLATOR
                                    got double what you did when you're the one who did the real
                                    translation. It infuriates me.

                                    Jamie

                                  • spektrum2002
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                                      Podle meho nazoru tkvi odpoved na "the big question" v tom, ze v Cesku
                                      oproti Nemecku atd. je velmi malo lidi, kteri umeji skutecne dobre
                                      cesky i anglicky, a pokud jsou, vydelavaji si mnohem zajimaveji nez
                                      prekladanim. Je to porad jeste pozustatek toho, ze za minuleho rezimu
                                      nepatrila anglictina ke vseobecnemu vzdelani, kdezto v zapadnich
                                      evropskych zemich ano.
                                      Dalsi vec je, ze zakaznik si vetsinou mysli, ze kdyz si objedna
                                      preklad u prekladatelske agentury, ze tim ma zaruku, ze dostane
                                      kvalitni preklad. Hodne zakazniku by asi bylo prekvapeno, kdyby se
                                      dovedeli, ze jejich material prelozil do anglictiny nekdo, kdo neumi
                                      dokonale idiomaticky anglicky.
                                      Kdybych mohl zakaznikum radit, vzdycky bych jim poradil, aby si
                                      vyzadali, aby na jejich prekladu pracoval spolecne rodily cesky mluvci
                                      s rodilym anglickym mluvcim, ze to je jedina (jakz-takz) zaruka, ze v
                                      prekladu nebudou chyby. Ale upozornil bych je, ze si za to budou muset
                                      samozrejme dejme tomu 100% priplatit.
                                      A jsou zakaznici, kterym by tech penez bylo lito, hlavne at je to
                                      "nejak" prelozene.
                                      A jeste neco: ze delat korektury je spise charita nez zpusob, jak
                                      prijit k penezum, to je nesporny fakt. Urcite bych nedelal korekturu
                                      nikomu, kdo mi neprideluje take preklady.
                                      Petr A.

                                      > Isn't there more "korigovani" with Czech agencies anyway?
                                      >
                                      > I was first asked to get into translating because the local translator
                                      > with the soudni razitko had translated "lednice na pokojich" as
                                      > "reefer in the room", among other gems.
                                      >
                                      > Since then, I can't have contact with any Czech publisher or agency
                                      > for very long before I'm asked to take on the task of repairing large
                                      > quantities of Czech-to-English translation that nobody seemed to
                                      > notice was nonsensical at the time it was done. The usual proposal is
                                      > that they gave the "translator" the fat fee, and they want me to
                                      > virtually retranslate the work for whatever is left in the budget
                                      > after paying him.
                                      >
                                      > Sometimes the "translator" is a Czech with an exaggerated esteem for
                                      > his bad English, and sometimes it's a native English speaker who
                                      > pretends to know Czech but pretty much doesn't, and he just makes up
                                      > something imaginative when he doesn't understand the original.
                                      >
                                      > The big question to me is why the Czechs do this a lot, but I don't
                                      > get this type of request from the French, the Germans or the Italians.
                                      >
                                      > Jamie
                                      >
                                      > On Aug 5, 2008, at 10:03 AM, meluzina_x wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Vice mene souhlasim, ale, podle meho, vetsi problem je v tom, ze lidi
                                      > > (a to myslim takoveho 'normalniho clovicka'), netusi, ze program bude
                                      > > 'spatne fungovat' a zacnou na to spolehat - vysledek bude, ze se bude
                                      > > muset vic a vic korigovat - prace ktera me moc nesedi :(
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "spektrum2002" <padamek@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Myslim, kdyby nejhorsi chyba, kterou automaticky prekladac udela,
                                      > > > byla, ze "hotdog general" prelozi jako "Wuerstchengeneral", mohli by
                                      > > > si lingvisticti programatori gratulovat a my prekladatele bychom
                                      > > byli
                                      > > > poslani do penze.
                                      > > > Petr Adamek

                                      > > in
                                      > > referred

                                    • meluzina_x
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                                        nu, v breznu bych byvala s Tebou souhlasila na 100%, ale po tom, co
                                        jsem mela prekladat (vyjimecne do cestiny) neco co bylo prelozeno z
                                        nemciny do anglictiny (v rakousku), tak jsem trosku zmenila nazor -
                                        zda se, ze takove lidi jsou vsude

                                        a mohl by si mi poradit, kde si mohu vydelavat lepe a pri tom zustat
                                        na ty moje samote u lesa? :D

                                        pravda je, ma cestina neni dokonala (kdyz po me nekdo chce, abych
                                        prekladala do cestiny, tak je vzdy upozornim na to, ze jsem se v
                                        zivote nikdy "neucila" cesky - to klobouk dolu moji mamce, ktera me
                                        naucila aspon trosku te spisovne cestiny doma - a tez tatkovi, ktery
                                        me naucil aspon trosku moravsky :D )

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                                          Sorry for a perhaps even more infuriating question, Jamie, but you are
                                          always free not to accept an editing job. I have been consistently
                                          refusing them for over 4 years - and surprise, surprise! It works....

                                          And no, it's not just that there are not enough translators speaking
                                          native English or German in Czechia. There are a lot of Czech natives
                                          who happily translate (into Czech) without being able to even WRITE a
                                          decent sentence in their mother tongue....

                                          Martin