Re: [Czechlist] to "experience symptoms"

    Message 1 of 51 , Aug 1, 2008
      I don't see what the problem is Jamie,

      sure, there are nuances and context-dependent use for the two concepts in Czech (mit priznaky vs. pocitovat priznaky), but I think the same could be said in English (show symptoms etc. vs. experience symptoms)... I don't know the context and the whole document, but unless that suggests otherwise, I think the translator was correct to express the difference between the two by using pocitit for experience..

      Message 51 of 51 , Aug 11, 2008
        Pouze "lecba" se da pouzit ve spojeni s instrumentalem - lecba necim,
        napriklad lecba klidem, lecba aspirinem, lecba ozarovanim apod. Mame
        knihy Saki (Munro): Lecba neklidem (The Unrest Cure), I.D. Yalom:
        Lecba Schopenhauerem (The Schopenhauer Cure). V 90 letech jsme meli
        televizni porad "Lecba Klausem" atd. Rekl bych, ze "lecba" ma v sobe
        spise aspekt metody, leceni spise aspekt casu (leceni bude trvat 3
        mesice).
        Petr Adamek
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Bedrich Hadziu <bhadziu@...> wrote:

        > Jamie,
        >
        > SLOVNIK SPISOVNEHO JAZYKA CESKEHO defines 'lecba' as 'leceni'.
        >
        > I do not think that there is an actual difference between the two.
        >
        > It is true, though, that in Czech you would often hear "BYL JSEM NA
        LECENI" (in a hospital, in an institution etc.) but you would not
        really hear "BYL JSEM NA LECBE".