berries, US

  • zairinek
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 8, 2008
      Hallo,
      what would a US native writer mean when referring (in a book) to
      berries, recipe for a Berry Cooler? Do you think he's talking about a
      specific type of berries or generally about bobule?

      thanks
      Daniela
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 8, 2008
        He's talking about any type of berry -- blueberries, raspberries,
        strawberries, anything. He could even be talking about a mixture of
        berries. "Berry" is not the sort of word that makes the anglophone
        mind default to a specific variety.

        Jamie

        On Jul 8, 2008, at 8:45 AM, zairinek wrote:

        > Hallo,
        > what would a US native writer mean when referring (in a book) to
        > berries, recipe for a Berry Cooler? Do you think he's talking about a
        > specific type of berries or generally about bobule?
        >
        > thanks
        > Daniela

      • daniela.vranova
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 8, 2008
          thank you Jamie
          > Od: James Kirchner <jpklists@...>
          > Předmět: Re: [Czechlist] berries, US
          > Datum: 08.7.2008 14:55:21
          > He's talking about any type of berry -- blueberries, raspberries,
          > strawberries, anything. He could even be talking about a mixture of
          > berries. "Berry" is not the sort of word that makes the anglophone
          > mind default to a specific variety.
          >
          > Jamie
          >
          > On Jul 8, 2008, at 8:45 AM, zairinek wrote:
          >
          > > Hallo,
          > > what would a US native writer mean when referring (in a book) to
          > > berries, recipe for a Berry Cooler? Do you think he's talking about a
          > > specific type of berries or generally about bobule?
          > >
          > > thanks
          > > Daniela

        • Jennifer Hejtmánková
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 8, 2008
            As a US NS, I'd say any kind of berries - straw-, rasp-, blue-,
            black-, etc.

            HTH,
            Jennifer

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 8, 2008
              And Jennifer. :-)

              On Jul 8, 2008, at 8:55 AM, daniela.vranova wrote:

              > thank you Jamie

            • daniela.vranova
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 8, 2008
                thanks to Jennifer who reacted after my response to Jamie, and I hereby forward my thanks to everybody commenting on that big issue in the future :)
                daniela
                > Od: James Kirchner <jpklists@...>
                > Předmět: Re: [Czechlist] berries, US
                > Datum: 08.7.2008 15:04:30
                > And Jennifer. :-)
                >
                > On Jul 8, 2008, at 8:55 AM, daniela.vranova wrote:
                >
                > > thank you Jamie

              • Jennifer Hejtmánková
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 8, 2008
                  No problem - a berry cooler sounds delicious right now!!

                  Jennifer