Re: [Czechlist] space between lines - handwriting

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
      The "ruling" is the lines themselves. I don't think we have a word
      for the spaces between them.

      Jamie

      On Jul 2, 2008, at 12:15 PM, Gerald Turner wrote:

      > I did dare to Google, nonetheless. As far as I can see, the English
      > equivalent is "ruling" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruled_paper
      >
      > Gerry
      >
      > On 02/07/2008, Beata Rodlingova <beatarodlingova@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > The "once in a blue moon" Czechlist member asks for help:
      > >
      > > In the context of teaching young kids their ABC's, what do you call
      > > the distance between horizontal lines, on which the kids are
      > supposed
      > > to write - as the kid's handwriting skills improve, the lines get
      > > closer together and eventually end up as the regular lined writing
      > > paper we all know.
      > >
      > > The Czech term is "liniatura" - don't try googling it up, as "space
      > > between lines" it appears in a single document from the Teachers'
      > > College in Brno, other references are there because the word also
      > > means "resolution" in Polish.
      > >
      > > Many thanks in advance,
      > > Beata
      > >

      > --
      > Czech-In Translations
      > V lesíčku 5
      > 150 00 Prague 5
      > Czech Republic
      > Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194
      >
      > To see a World in a Grain of Sand
      > And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
      > Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
      > And Eternity in an hour.

    • Jaroslav Hejzlar
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
        Hi,
        what about "line spacing"? Sorry if it has been already mentioned here, I am quite busy and haven't followed the whole of this thread in detail.
        Regards,
        Jarda

        The "ruling" is the lines themselves. I don't think we have a word
        for the spaces between them.

        Jamie

        On Jul 2, 2008, at 12:15 PM, Gerald Turner wrote:

        > I did dare to Google, nonetheless. As far as I can see, the English
        > equivalent is "ruling" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruled_paper
        >
        > Gerry
        >
        > On 02/07/2008, Beata Rodlingova <beatarodlingova@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > The "once in a blue moon" Czechlist member asks for help:
        > >
        > > In the context of teaching young kids their ABC's, what do you call
        > > the distance between horizontal lines, on which the kids are
        > supposed
        > > to write - as the kid's handwriting skills improve, the lines get
        > > closer together and eventually end up as the regular lined writing
        > > paper we all know.
        > >
        > > The Czech term is "liniatura" - don't try googling it up, as "space
        > > between lines" it appears in a single document from the Teachers'
        > > College in Brno, other references are there because the word also
        > > means "resolution" in Polish.
        > >
        > > Many thanks in advance,
        > > Beata
        > >

        > --
        > Czech-In Translations
        > V lesíčku 5
        > 150 00 Prague 5
        > Czech Republic
        > Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194
        >
        > To see a World in a Grain of Sand
        > And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
        > Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
        > And Eternity in an hour.

      • Gerald Turner
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
          As I understand it, liniatura also means the lines, not the spaces.
          Liniatura=linkovani=delat linky na necem. It's possible that it is popularly
          used to mean spaces.

          Gerry

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
            I see. Thanks.