Re: [Czechlist] Re: space between lines - handwriting

  • Gerald Turner
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
      I didn't get it directly from Wikipedia, though. I first googled: ruling
      children writing notebooks.

      Gerry

      --
      Czech-In Translations
      V lesíčku 5

      To see a World in a Grain of Sand
      And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
      Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
      And Eternity in an hour.

    • Jennifer Hejtmánková
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
        Yep, ruling for sure - wide-ruled paper, college-ruled
        paper...wouldn't have thought of it myself though :)))

        jennifer

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
          The "ruling" is the lines themselves. I don't think we have a word
          for the spaces between them.

          Jamie

          On Jul 2, 2008, at 12:15 PM, Gerald Turner wrote:

          > I did dare to Google, nonetheless. As far as I can see, the English
          > equivalent is "ruling" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruled_paper
          >
          > Gerry
          >
          > On 02/07/2008, Beata Rodlingova <beatarodlingova@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > The "once in a blue moon" Czechlist member asks for help:
          > >
          > > In the context of teaching young kids their ABC's, what do you call
          > > the distance between horizontal lines, on which the kids are
          > supposed
          > > to write - as the kid's handwriting skills improve, the lines get
          > > closer together and eventually end up as the regular lined writing
          > > paper we all know.
          > >
          > > The Czech term is "liniatura" - don't try googling it up, as "space
          > > between lines" it appears in a single document from the Teachers'
          > > College in Brno, other references are there because the word also
          > > means "resolution" in Polish.
          > >
          > > Many thanks in advance,
          > > Beata
          > >

          > --
          > Czech-In Translations
          > V lesíčku 5
          > 150 00 Prague 5
          > Czech Republic
          > Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194
          >
          > To see a World in a Grain of Sand
          > And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
          > Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
          > And Eternity in an hour.

        • Jaroslav Hejzlar
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
            Hi,
            what about "line spacing"? Sorry if it has been already mentioned here, I am quite busy and haven't followed the whole of this thread in detail.
            Regards,
            Jarda

            The "ruling" is the lines themselves. I don't think we have a word
            for the spaces between them.

            Jamie

            On Jul 2, 2008, at 12:15 PM, Gerald Turner wrote:

            > I did dare to Google, nonetheless. As far as I can see, the English
            > equivalent is "ruling" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruled_paper
            >
            > Gerry
            >
            > On 02/07/2008, Beata Rodlingova <beatarodlingova@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > The "once in a blue moon" Czechlist member asks for help:
            > >
            > > In the context of teaching young kids their ABC's, what do you call
            > > the distance between horizontal lines, on which the kids are
            > supposed
            > > to write - as the kid's handwriting skills improve, the lines get
            > > closer together and eventually end up as the regular lined writing
            > > paper we all know.
            > >
            > > The Czech term is "liniatura" - don't try googling it up, as "space
            > > between lines" it appears in a single document from the Teachers'
            > > College in Brno, other references are there because the word also
            > > means "resolution" in Polish.
            > >
            > > Many thanks in advance,
            > > Beata
            > >

            > --
            > Czech-In Translations
            > V lesíčku 5
            > 150 00 Prague 5
            > Czech Republic
            > Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194
            >
            > To see a World in a Grain of Sand
            > And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
            > Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
            > And Eternity in an hour.

          • Gerald Turner
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
              As I understand it, liniatura also means the lines, not the spaces.
              Liniatura=linkovani=delat linky na necem. It's possible that it is popularly
              used to mean spaces.

              Gerry

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
                I see. Thanks.