Re: space between lines - handwriting

  • Beata Rodlingova
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
      ... and from Wikipedia, of all sources! Many thanks, it's exactly what
      I was looking for. I shall now retire to the nearest gutter and ponder
      my poor googling skills.

      :))) B.

      > I did dare to Google, nonetheless. As far as I can see, the English
      > equivalent is "ruling" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruled_paper
    • Gerald Turner
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
        I didn't get it directly from Wikipedia, though. I first googled: ruling
        children writing notebooks.

        Gerry

        --
        Czech-In Translations
        V lesíčku 5

        To see a World in a Grain of Sand
        And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
        Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
        And Eternity in an hour.

      • Jennifer Hejtmánková
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
          Yep, ruling for sure - wide-ruled paper, college-ruled
          paper...wouldn't have thought of it myself though :)))

          jennifer

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
            The "ruling" is the lines themselves. I don't think we have a word
            for the spaces between them.

            Jamie

            On Jul 2, 2008, at 12:15 PM, Gerald Turner wrote:

            > I did dare to Google, nonetheless. As far as I can see, the English
            > equivalent is "ruling" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruled_paper
            >
            > Gerry
            >
            > On 02/07/2008, Beata Rodlingova <beatarodlingova@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > The "once in a blue moon" Czechlist member asks for help:
            > >
            > > In the context of teaching young kids their ABC's, what do you call
            > > the distance between horizontal lines, on which the kids are
            > supposed
            > > to write - as the kid's handwriting skills improve, the lines get
            > > closer together and eventually end up as the regular lined writing
            > > paper we all know.
            > >
            > > The Czech term is "liniatura" - don't try googling it up, as "space
            > > between lines" it appears in a single document from the Teachers'
            > > College in Brno, other references are there because the word also
            > > means "resolution" in Polish.
            > >
            > > Many thanks in advance,
            > > Beata
            > >

            > --
            > Czech-In Translations
            > V lesíčku 5
            > 150 00 Prague 5
            > Czech Republic
            > Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194
            >
            > To see a World in a Grain of Sand
            > And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
            > Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
            > And Eternity in an hour.

          • Jaroslav Hejzlar
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
              Hi,
              what about "line spacing"? Sorry if it has been already mentioned here, I am quite busy and haven't followed the whole of this thread in detail.
              Regards,
              Jarda

              The "ruling" is the lines themselves. I don't think we have a word
              for the spaces between them.

              Jamie

              On Jul 2, 2008, at 12:15 PM, Gerald Turner wrote:

              > I did dare to Google, nonetheless. As far as I can see, the English
              > equivalent is "ruling" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruled_paper
              >
              > Gerry
              >
              > On 02/07/2008, Beata Rodlingova <beatarodlingova@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > The "once in a blue moon" Czechlist member asks for help:
              > >
              > > In the context of teaching young kids their ABC's, what do you call
              > > the distance between horizontal lines, on which the kids are
              > supposed
              > > to write - as the kid's handwriting skills improve, the lines get
              > > closer together and eventually end up as the regular lined writing
              > > paper we all know.
              > >
              > > The Czech term is "liniatura" - don't try googling it up, as "space
              > > between lines" it appears in a single document from the Teachers'
              > > College in Brno, other references are there because the word also
              > > means "resolution" in Polish.
              > >
              > > Many thanks in advance,
              > > Beata
              > >

              > --
              > Czech-In Translations
              > V lesíčku 5
              > 150 00 Prague 5
              > Czech Republic
              > Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194
              >
              > To see a World in a Grain of Sand
              > And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
              > Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
              > And Eternity in an hour.

            • Gerald Turner
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
                As I understand it, liniatura also means the lines, not the spaces.
                Liniatura=linkovani=delat linky na necem. It's possible that it is popularly
                used to mean spaces.

                Gerry

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
                  I see. Thanks.