Re: [Czechlist] space between lines - handwriting

  • Gerald Turner
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
      I did dare to Google, nonetheless. As far as I can see, the English
      equivalent is "ruling" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruled_paper

      Gerry

      --
      Czech-In Translations
      V lesíčku 5

      To see a World in a Grain of Sand
      And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
      Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
      And Eternity in an hour.

    • Beata Rodlingova
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
        ... and from Wikipedia, of all sources! Many thanks, it's exactly what
        I was looking for. I shall now retire to the nearest gutter and ponder
        my poor googling skills.

        :))) B.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
          I didn't get it directly from Wikipedia, though. I first googled: ruling
          children writing notebooks.

          Gerry

          On 02/07/2008, Beata Rodlingova <beatarodlingova@...> wrote:

          > ... and from Wikipedia, of all sources! Many thanks, it's exactly what
          > I was looking for. I shall now retire to the nearest gutter and ponder
          > my poor googling skills.
          >
          > :))) B.
          >
          > > I did dare to Google, nonetheless. As far as I can see, the English
          > > equivalent is "ruling" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruled_paper

          --
          Czech-In Translations
          V lesíčku 5
          150 00 Prague 5
          Czech Republic
          Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194

          To see a World in a Grain of Sand
          And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
          Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
          And Eternity in an hour.

        • Jennifer Hejtmánková
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
            Yep, ruling for sure - wide-ruled paper, college-ruled
            paper...wouldn't have thought of it myself though :)))

            jennifer

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
              The "ruling" is the lines themselves. I don't think we have a word
              for the spaces between them.

              Jamie

              On Jul 2, 2008, at 12:15 PM, Gerald Turner wrote:

              > I did dare to Google, nonetheless. As far as I can see, the English
              > equivalent is "ruling" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruled_paper
              >
              > Gerry
              >
              > On 02/07/2008, Beata Rodlingova <beatarodlingova@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > The "once in a blue moon" Czechlist member asks for help:
              > >
              > > In the context of teaching young kids their ABC's, what do you call
              > > the distance between horizontal lines, on which the kids are
              > supposed
              > > to write - as the kid's handwriting skills improve, the lines get
              > > closer together and eventually end up as the regular lined writing
              > > paper we all know.
              > >
              > > The Czech term is "liniatura" - don't try googling it up, as "space
              > > between lines" it appears in a single document from the Teachers'
              > > College in Brno, other references are there because the word also
              > > means "resolution" in Polish.
              > >
              > > Many thanks in advance,
              > > Beata
              > >

              > --
              > Czech-In Translations
              > V lesíčku 5
              > 150 00 Prague 5
              > Czech Republic
              > Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194
              >
              > To see a World in a Grain of Sand
              > And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
              > Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
              > And Eternity in an hour.

            • Jaroslav Hejzlar
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
                Hi,
                what about "line spacing"? Sorry if it has been already mentioned here, I am quite busy and haven't followed the whole of this thread in detail.
                Regards,
                Jarda

                The "ruling" is the lines themselves. I don't think we have a word
                for the spaces between them.

                Jamie

                On Jul 2, 2008, at 12:15 PM, Gerald Turner wrote:

                > I did dare to Google, nonetheless. As far as I can see, the English
                > equivalent is "ruling" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruled_paper
                >
                > Gerry
                >
                > On 02/07/2008, Beata Rodlingova <beatarodlingova@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > The "once in a blue moon" Czechlist member asks for help:
                > >
                > > In the context of teaching young kids their ABC's, what do you call
                > > the distance between horizontal lines, on which the kids are
                > supposed
                > > to write - as the kid's handwriting skills improve, the lines get
                > > closer together and eventually end up as the regular lined writing
                > > paper we all know.
                > >
                > > The Czech term is "liniatura" - don't try googling it up, as "space
                > > between lines" it appears in a single document from the Teachers'
                > > College in Brno, other references are there because the word also
                > > means "resolution" in Polish.
                > >
                > > Many thanks in advance,
                > > Beata
                > >

                > --
                > Czech-In Translations
                > V lesíčku 5
                > 150 00 Prague 5
                > Czech Republic
                > Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194
                >
                > To see a World in a Grain of Sand
                > And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
                > Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
                > And Eternity in an hour.

              • Gerald Turner
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
                  As I understand it, liniatura also means the lines, not the spaces.
                  Liniatura=linkovani=delat linky na necem. It's possible that it is popularly
                  used to mean spaces.

                  Gerry

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
                    I see. Thanks.