space between lines - handwriting

  • Beata Rodlingova
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
      The "once in a blue moon" Czechlist member asks for help:

      In the context of teaching young kids their ABC's, what do you call
      the distance between horizontal lines, on which the kids are supposed
      to write - as the kid's handwriting skills improve, the lines get
      closer together and eventually end up as the regular lined writing
      paper we all know.

      The Czech term is "liniatura" - don't try googling it up, as "space
      between lines" it appears in a single document from the Teachers'
      College in Brno, other references are there because the word also
      means "resolution" in Polish.

      Many thanks in advance,
      Beata
    • Gerald Turner
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
        I did dare to Google, nonetheless. As far as I can see, the English
        equivalent is "ruling" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruled_paper

        Gerry

        --
        Czech-In Translations
        V lesíčku 5

        To see a World in a Grain of Sand
        And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
        Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
        And Eternity in an hour.

      • Beata Rodlingova
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
          ... and from Wikipedia, of all sources! Many thanks, it's exactly what
          I was looking for. I shall now retire to the nearest gutter and ponder
          my poor googling skills.

          :))) B.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
            I didn't get it directly from Wikipedia, though. I first googled: ruling
            children writing notebooks.

            Gerry

            On 02/07/2008, Beata Rodlingova <beatarodlingova@...> wrote:

            > ... and from Wikipedia, of all sources! Many thanks, it's exactly what
            > I was looking for. I shall now retire to the nearest gutter and ponder
            > my poor googling skills.
            >
            > :))) B.
            >
            > > I did dare to Google, nonetheless. As far as I can see, the English
            > > equivalent is "ruling" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruled_paper

            --
            Czech-In Translations
            V lesíčku 5
            150 00 Prague 5
            Czech Republic
            Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194

            To see a World in a Grain of Sand
            And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
            Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
            And Eternity in an hour.

          • Jennifer Hejtmánková
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
              Yep, ruling for sure - wide-ruled paper, college-ruled
              paper...wouldn't have thought of it myself though :)))

              jennifer

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
                The "ruling" is the lines themselves. I don't think we have a word
                for the spaces between them.

                Jamie

                On Jul 2, 2008, at 12:15 PM, Gerald Turner wrote:

                > I did dare to Google, nonetheless. As far as I can see, the English
                > equivalent is "ruling" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruled_paper
                >
                > Gerry
                >
                > On 02/07/2008, Beata Rodlingova <beatarodlingova@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > The "once in a blue moon" Czechlist member asks for help:
                > >
                > > In the context of teaching young kids their ABC's, what do you call
                > > the distance between horizontal lines, on which the kids are
                > supposed
                > > to write - as the kid's handwriting skills improve, the lines get
                > > closer together and eventually end up as the regular lined writing
                > > paper we all know.
                > >
                > > The Czech term is "liniatura" - don't try googling it up, as "space
                > > between lines" it appears in a single document from the Teachers'
                > > College in Brno, other references are there because the word also
                > > means "resolution" in Polish.
                > >
                > > Many thanks in advance,
                > > Beata
                > >

                > --
                > Czech-In Translations
                > V lesíčku 5
                > 150 00 Prague 5
                > Czech Republic
                > Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194
                >
                > To see a World in a Grain of Sand
                > And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
                > Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
                > And Eternity in an hour.

              • Jaroslav Hejzlar
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
                  Hi,
                  what about "line spacing"? Sorry if it has been already mentioned here, I am quite busy and haven't followed the whole of this thread in detail.
                  Regards,
                  Jarda

                  The "ruling" is the lines themselves. I don't think we have a word
                  for the spaces between them.

                  Jamie

                  On Jul 2, 2008, at 12:15 PM, Gerald Turner wrote:

                  > I did dare to Google, nonetheless. As far as I can see, the English
                  > equivalent is "ruling" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruled_paper
                  >
                  > Gerry
                  >
                  > On 02/07/2008, Beata Rodlingova <beatarodlingova@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > The "once in a blue moon" Czechlist member asks for help:
                  > >
                  > > In the context of teaching young kids their ABC's, what do you call
                  > > the distance between horizontal lines, on which the kids are
                  > supposed
                  > > to write - as the kid's handwriting skills improve, the lines get
                  > > closer together and eventually end up as the regular lined writing
                  > > paper we all know.
                  > >
                  > > The Czech term is "liniatura" - don't try googling it up, as "space
                  > > between lines" it appears in a single document from the Teachers'
                  > > College in Brno, other references are there because the word also
                  > > means "resolution" in Polish.
                  > >
                  > > Many thanks in advance,
                  > > Beata
                  > >

                  > --
                  > Czech-In Translations
                  > V lesíčku 5
                  > 150 00 Prague 5
                  > Czech Republic
                  > Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194
                  >
                  > To see a World in a Grain of Sand
                  > And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
                  > Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
                  > And Eternity in an hour.

                • Gerald Turner
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
                    As I understand it, liniatura also means the lines, not the spaces.
                    Liniatura=linkovani=delat linky na necem. It's possible that it is popularly
                    used to mean spaces.

                    Gerry

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
                      I see. Thanks.