Help: regionalistika

  • coilinoc
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 21, 2008
      Hi there,

      Does anybody know what the fairly made-up sounding
      word "regionalistika" means in the following context?

      Kniha ychazi diky podpore krajskeho uradu kraje Vysocina sidlicího v
      Jihlave, jmenovite jeho komise a grantovemu programu na rozvoj
      regionalistiky,

      regional studies? regional affairs?

      MTIA

      Coilin
    • coilinoc
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 21, 2008
        Some websites traslate it as "regional science". Am I alone in
        thinking that that sounds a bit silly? (e.g. what is scientific about
        a region?)
        C.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 21, 2008
          Here could it be more to do with regional policy or regional planning?

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 25, 2008
            Matej, who is currently sunning himself in foreign climes, sends his
            regards and the following comment:

            The intended, if somewhat clumsy, meaning in CZ IS actually "scholarly
            study of the region", so the region/al science is a logical
            translation, but obviously sounds silly... I'm affraid it doesn't have
            anything to do with planning or policies, in my understanding, it is
            mostly concerned with the past, in which case we would be safe calling
            it regional history, but it could in some bored regional clerk's lingo
            also mean history and the present, plus geography, demographics,
            social science and whatever else they can think of... and I can't find
            a good-sounding all-encompassing term for that in ENG....

            Just aim for something vague meaning "whatever concerns the region and
            mostly the past (and present), but not future or planning" :)

            Helpfully

            Matej

            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@...> wrote:

            > Here could it be more to do with regional policy or regional planning?
            >
            > BR
            >
            > M.
            >

            > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi there,
            > >
            > > Does anybody know what the fairly made-up sounding
            > > word "regionalistika" means in the following context?
            > >
            > > Kniha ychazi diky podpore krajskeho uradu kraje Vysocina sidlicího v
            > > Jihlave, jmenovite jeho komise a grantovemu programu na rozvoj
            > > regionalistiky,
            > >
            > > regional studies? regional affairs?
            > >
            > > MTIA
            > >
            > > Coilin

          • Bedrich Hadziu
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 4, 2008
              Melvy/Coilin,

              My belated response to 'regionalistika' is below:

              Coilin is right insofar that it is officially a 'science'.

              Here is the Czech definition:

              http://slovnik-cizich-slov.abz.cz/web.php/slovo/regionalistika

              You can even study it at VSE, see:

              http://www.vse.cz/zpravodaj/2005_4/09.htm%c2%a0

              I find the definition laughable.

              I guess you could carry out a study of "psychological and psychosomatic phenomena of an indivudial as determined by the proximity, quantity and character of its neighbours" and found a new science on that basis called PSYCHOSOUSEDOLOGIE.

              I think this is much in the postmodern tradition of making a 'science' from laying a turd.

              Excuse my tongue but it makes me sick.

              Best ,

              Bedrich

              Here could it be more to do with regional policy or regional planning?

              --- In Czechlist@yahoogrou ps.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@.. .> wrote:

              > Hi there,
              >
              > Does anybody know what the fairly made-up sounding
              > word "regionalistika" means in the following context?
              >
              > Kniha ychazi diky podpore krajskeho uradu kraje Vysocina sidlicího v
              > Jihlave, jmenovite jeho komise a grantovemu programu na rozvoj
              > regionalistiky,
              >
              > regional studies? regional affairs?
              >
              > MTIA
              >
              > Coilin

            • Gerald Turner
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 4, 2008
                Regionalistics (sic) seems to be available in universities all over Russia -
                surprise?

                Gerry

                On 04/07/2008, Bedrich Hadziu <bhadziu@...> wrote:

                > Melvy/Coilin,
                >
                > My belated response to 'regionalistika' is below:
                >
                > Coilin is right insofar that it is officially a 'science'.
                >
                > Here is the Czech definition:
                >
                > http://slovnik-cizich-slov.abz.cz/web.php/slovo/regionalistika
                >
                > You can even study it at VSE, see:
                >
                > http://www.vse.cz/zpravodaj/2005_4/09.htm
                >
                > I find the definition laughable.
                >
                > I guess you could carry out a study of "psychological and psychosomatic
                > phenomena of an indivudial as determined by the proximity, quantity and
                > character of its neighbours" and found a new science on that basis called
                > PSYCHOSOUSEDOLOGIE.
                >
                > I think this is much in the postmodern tradition of making a 'science' from
                > laying a turd.
                >
                > Excuse my tongue but it makes me sick.
                >
                > Best ,
                >
                > Bedrich
                >
                > --- On Sat, 6/21/08, melvyn.geo <zehrovak@... <zehrovak%40dr.com>>
                > wrote:
                >
                > From: melvyn.geo <zehrovak@... <zehrovak%40dr.com>>
                > Subject: [Czechlist] Re: Help: regionalistika
                > To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com>
                > Date: Saturday, June 21, 2008, 3:38 PM
                >
                > Here could it be more to do with regional policy or regional planning?
                >
                > BR
                >
                > M.
                >
                > --- In Czechlist@yahoogrou ps.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@.. .> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi there,
                > >
                > > Does anybody know what the fairly made-up sounding
                > > word "regionalistika" means in the following context?
                > >
                > > Kniha ychazi diky podpore krajskeho uradu kraje Vysocina sidlicího v
                > > Jihlave, jmenovite jeho komise a grantovemu programu na rozvoj
                > > regionalistiky,
                > >
                > > regional studies? regional affairs?
                > >
                > > MTIA
                > >
                > > Coilin