Social tariff

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 17, 2008
      Can anyone explain to me what "social tariff" means in my own language?

      I can't seem to find it in any dictionary.

      Thank you.

      Jamie
    • Gerald Turner
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 17, 2008
        Hi Jamie,

        I understand it to mean reduced prices for "vulnerable" social groups. See
        http://www.energychoices.co.uk/british-gas-launches-social-tariff.html.

        HTH Gerry

        On 17/06/2008, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone explain to me what "social tariff" means in my own language?
        >
        > I can't seem to find it in any dictionary.
        >
        > Thank you.

        Czech-In Translations
        V lesíčku 5
        150 00 Prague 5
        Czech Republic
        Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194

        To see a World in a Grain of Sand
        And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
        Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
        And Eternity in an hour.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 17, 2008
          So, in other words, most users pay higher prices in order to subsidize
          the "vulnerable" groups.

          Jamie

          On Jun 17, 2008, at 11:02 AM, Gerald Turner wrote:

          > Hi Jamie,
          >
          > I understand it to mean reduced prices for "vulnerable" social
          > groups. See
          > http://www.energychoices.co.uk/british-gas-launches-social-
          > tariff.html.
          >
          > HTH Gerry
          >
          > On 17/06/2008, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Can anyone explain to me what "social tariff" means in my own
          > language?
          > >
          > > I can't seem to find it in any dictionary.
          > >
          > > Thank you.
          > >
          > > Jamie
          > >

          > --
          > Czech-In Translations
          > V lesíčku 5
          > 150 00 Prague 5
          > Czech Republic
          > Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194
          >
          > To see a World in a Grain of Sand
          > And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
          > Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
          > And Eternity in an hour.

        • Gerald Turner
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 17, 2008
            Unless those prices subsidised from elsewhere, such as by the state, I
            suppose. Gerry

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 17, 2008
              Of course, if the state subsidizes them, it means that most users are
              taxed for it, so it amounts to the same thing. :-)

              Thanks very much.

              Jamie

            • Gerald Turner
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 17, 2008
                TNSTAAFL. Gerry

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 17, 2008
                  There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

                  A very interesting expression. Most Americans think it means the same
                  thing as, "Ya don't work, ya don't eat." They don't know that a
                  century or more ago restaurants included a "free" lunch in the price
                  of a beer. Hobos used to buy the beer to get the meal. The
                  expression's real meaning, then, is that you end up paying the price
                  one way or another.

                  It could present an interesting conundrum for translators, because
                  they would have to figure out which meaning the writer intended.

                  Jamie

                • Gerald Turner
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 17, 2008
                    Whereas I'm shortly off to enjoy a dinner at a top restaurant as payment in
                    kind for rendering their fanciful menu in acceptable English.

                  • Jan Kordac
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 19, 2008
                      Pro upresneni - znamena to, ze to Heinlein nevymyslel v The Moon Is a
                      Harsh Mistress jako shrnutí libertarianskeho svetanazoru, ale je to starsi?

                      JK

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 19, 2008
                        It's a much older expression than that -- at least from the 19th
                        century.

                        Actually, it's not even the best characterization of the libertarian
                        mindset. The explanation usually used in the US is the Thomas Paine
                        quote, "That government is best which governs least."

                        Jamie

                      • Bedrich Hadziu
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 4, 2008
                          Jamie wrote:

                          "Of course, if the state subsidizes them, it means that most users are
                          taxed for it, so it amounts to the same thing. :-)

                          Thanks very much."

                          Socialism, in theory, is taking money from the rich and giving it to the poor. This, however, is "in theory". In practice, it usually ends up like this: the rich have means to avoid taxation (tax�optimization, tax paradises, state reliefs, exemptions and incentives) so the additional tax is eventually paid by�the middle class and the poor class and part of the gain redistributed to�'special social groups'�(typically the�hard core voters of the socialist parties) with the net effect of rendering everything more expensive for everybody�(since produces increase the�product's end price�by the extra tax, this increase then spreading throughout the economy).

                          When one looks at�it soberly,�it is hardly much different from wholesale racketeering. Eventually, the�bar owners increase their prices to compensate for what the racketeers extort from them; the racketeers 'redistribute' part of their racket gains to their cronies.�In effect, everybody�(including more or less the racketeers and their cronies) ends up paying more for the same in those bars.

                          Not a very brilliant scheme when applied nationwide...

                          BTW: I feel sort of vulnerable today. Any idea where I can get a 'social tariff lunch'?

                          :-)

                          Best,

                          Bedrich �