Re: INFO: "The Noun in Translation"

  • David Fuchs
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2000
      >BTW can anybody recommend any other literature of interest in this field,
      on
      >translation studies as a whole or on Czech<>English translation in
      >particular?

      Melvyn,

      I suppose Acta Universitatis Carolinae, Translatologica Pragensia was your
      source in this case. If not, you can find some good read about
      translation/interpreting there, though not purely Czech < > English and, one
      must admit, quite academical at times.

      I was also able to derive some benefit from '9 x O PREKLADU' - conference
      proceedings focused primarily on literary translation; the 62-page document
      was published by JTP in 1994.

      The one article I got really enthusiastic about is entitled 'K pragmaticke
      ekvivalenci v prekladech ceskych neliterarnich textu do anglictiny' and I
      would be tempted to consider it an absolute MUST for every Czech-to-English
      translator. It is a solid piece of work based on a thorough analysis of
      real-life texts with lots of practical examples, no scientific gobbledegook.
      The author is Patrick Corness and the article was published in ToP (the JTP
      quarterly) No. 42, September 1998, pp. 7 - 11.

      Best wishes to all

      David