TERM: funkcni pozitky

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 12, 2008
      Hello list:

      What do you call "funkcni pozitky" in English? The Czech term is explained
      for instance at
      http://www.mesec.cz/texty/prijmy-ze-zavisle-cinnosti-a-funkcnich-pozitku/. I
      feel it's something like 'non-business remuneration' but this expression is
      not authentic enough. Is there a covering term for income of all kinds of
      politicians and non-executive positions etc.?

    • Hana Jarolímová
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 12, 2008
        asi bych tam dala neco jako perks, benefits nebo fringe benefits
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 12, 2008
          Tak jsem to pochopil, "funkcni pozitky" neznamenaji nefinancni ohdonoceni,
          ale platy funkcionaru ve spravnich organech, poslancu a podobne. V kazdem
          pripade to podleha zdaneni...

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 12, 2008
            > Tak jsem to pochopil,

            Errata:

            Tak, jak jsem to pochopil...

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 12, 2008
              I think this is just perquisites, from the way I understand it.

              One source I checked had it as "function benefits", but this Google
              produces no or nearly no evidence that these two words ever come
              together as a phrase.

              The problem may be the word "funkcni", which could be a typical
              example of a Czech adjective that would be considered superfluous in
              English.

              If I'm way off, tell me, and I'll try to help you figure something
              out, but normally office-holders receive a salary and perquisites, and
              there would be no adjective equivalent to "funkcni" placed there.

              Jamie

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 12, 2008
                Jamie wrote:

                > I think this is just perquisites, from the way I understand it.

                I don't think so. Hana suggested 'perks' among others, and I understand
                that's just informal word for perquisites, and I further understand they are
                non-monetary BUT having checked the description on the page I sent the link
                to with my original question, I also understand that "funkcni pozitky" is
                monetary compensation/remuneration.

                This is the link, once again:
                http://www.mesec.cz/texty/prijmy-ze-zavisle-cinnosti-a-funkcnich-pozitku/

                It's the fourth paragraph. It doesn't say explicitely it's monetary, but the
                point is it's subject to taxation just like income from employment or doing
                business; the document I need it for is a kind of tax form and it supports
                this indirectly but consistently too.

                It seems to me the legislators for some reason just wanted to make sure that
                their own income, as well as their peers', will be taxed. Nice guys...

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 12, 2008
                  Honoraria?

                  JK

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 12, 2008
                    I don't think urady pay their urednici in brambory or uhli anymore, it's money allright, why not just get rid of the funkcni bit as Jamie suggests and call it remineration? I think it may also involve compensation for travel and expenses and other things related to the "funkce", but IMHO remuneration would cover that - as it does with BoD members in commercial companies etc.

                    > I think this is just perquisites, from the way I understand it.

                    I don't think so. Hana suggested 'perks' among others, and I understand
                    that's just informal word for perquisites, and I further understand they are
                    non-monetary BUT having checked the description on the page I sent the link
                    to with my original question, I also understand that "funkcni pozitky" is
                    monetary compensation/remuneration.

                    This is the link, once again:
                    http://www.mesec.cz/texty/prijmy-ze-zavisle-cinnosti-a-funkcnich-pozitku/

                    It's the fourth paragraph. It doesn't say explicitely it's monetary, but the
                    point is it's subject to taxation just like income from employment or doing
                    business; the document I need it for is a kind of tax form and it supports
                    this indirectly but consistently too.

                    It seems to me the legislators for some reason just wanted to make sure that
                    their own income, as well as their peers', will be taxed. Nice guys...

                  • Šárka Rubková
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 13, 2008
                      Ja si myslim, ze funkcni pozitky jsou take zdanitelne, i kdyz jsou v
                      nepenezni forme.

                      Jsou funkcni pozitky - plynouci z titulu funkce a pozitky nefunkcni, ktere
                      dostava kazdy z dane organizaci

                      sarka

                      _____

                      I think this is just perquisites, from the way I understand it.

                      One source I checked had it as "function benefits", but this Google
                      produces no or nearly no evidence that these two words ever come
                      together as a phrase.

                      The problem may be the word "funkcni", which could be a typical
                      example of a Czech adjective that would be considered superfluous in
                      English.

                      If I'm way off, tell me, and I'll try to help you figure something
                      out, but normally office-holders receive a salary and perquisites, and
                      there would be no adjective equivalent to "funkcni" placed there.

                      Jamie

                      On Jun 12, 2008, at 12:52 PM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                      > Hello list:
                      >
                      > What do you call "funkcni pozitky" in English? The Czech term is
                      > explained
                      > for instance at
                      > http://www.mesec
                      <http://www.mesec.cz/texty/prijmy-ze-zavisle-cinnosti-a-funkcnich-pozitku/>
                      cz/texty/prijmy-ze-zavisle-cinnosti-a-funkcnich-pozitku/
                      > . I
                      > feel it's something like 'non-business remuneration' but this
                      > expression is
                      > not authentic enough. Is there a covering term for income of all
                      > kinds of
                      > politicians and non-executive positions etc.?
                      >
                      > Jirka Bolech

                      Checked by AVG.
                      7:13

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 13, 2008
                        Thanks Hana, Jamie, and Matej for your comments:

                        > Honoraria?

                        I suspect this is as close as you can get in English. Classic dilemma: is my
                        Czenglish descriptive term, 'non-business remuneration' or something like
                        that, or authentic not-so-much-relfecting-the-real-meaning, becuase of
                        different concepts, one better?

                        I had this for a post editing job, if you remember, and the original idea
                        was 'other remuneration' as it normally goes together with "prijmy ze
                        zavisle cinnosti", like 'income from employment'. It may, after all, not be
                        such a bad idea either...

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 13, 2008
                          ..... and 'Thanks' to Sarka too...