Re: [Czechlist] Help: film title and synopsis

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 9, 2008
      So like a baseball play throws a curve ball or a screw ball.

      How can I help it if nobody explained it to me? Even if I asked, they
      didn't explain it.

      Thank you for being the one to finally do it.

      Jamie

    • Alena Rysková 2e
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 9, 2008
        Aha,
        but the Czech title, if i am not mistaken, was Blafuj jako Bekham, and as i have not seen the film, i would say blafuj here is dribble, not bluff (or both?). What a nice job translating is!
        Alena

        So like a baseball play throws a curve ball or a screw ball.

        How can I help it if nobody explained it to me? Even if I asked, they
        didn't explain it.

        Thank you for being the one to finally do it.

        Jamie

        On Jun 9, 2008, at 11:24 AM, Jennifer Hejtmánková wrote:

        > Oh come on, Jamie - you really STILL don't know what "bend it like
        > Beckham" means??? Apparently he has a knack for making the ball curve
        > in strange ways into the goal - "bending it"....it's nothing more
        > esoteric than that :)
        >
        > Jennifer
        > ---------
        > Gtalk: jenhejt | AIM: praguejen | Yahoo: maxicek | ICQ: 2969150 |
        > Skype: praguejen
        > Mobile: +420 739 467 439 | Fax: +420 323 601 511 | US Tel:
        > +1-312-233-2938 (forwards to Skype)
        >
        > On 9.6.2008, at 17:03, James Kirchner wrote:
        >
        > > How about "The Nature and Essence of the Kangaroo Soul"?
        > >
        > > Or just "The Essence of the Kangaroo Soul"?
        > >
        > > Or just "The Nature of the Kangaroo Soul"?
        > >
        > > Or "The Nuances of the Kangaroo Soul" (or Mind)?
        > >
        > > Anything involving soccer will be lost on the enormous North
        > American
        > > market. That doesn't necessarily mean failure, though, because "Bend
        > > It Like Bekham" was a big hit in the US, even though the title was
        > > deemed "unfortunate" and nobody knew what it meant. How many years
        > > has it been, and, despite trying, I STILL haven't been able to find
        > > out what it means.
        > >
        > > Jamie
        > >
        > > On Jun 9, 2008, at 10:51 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:
        > >
        > > > Sounds good, but note that there's nothing about shadows or being
        > > > shadowy in the Czech title, the shades there are shades of colour,
        > > > also used for shades of personality/soul in CZ....
        > > >
        > > > It's an attempt at sounding olde-wordly (note word order) and
        > funny
        > > > (see the synopsis)...
        > > >
        > > > The whole Bohemians thing is pretty unclear to even to Czech
        > > > outsiders (I admit I activelly avoid anything to do with football,
        > > > but would probably know a little about individual league clubs,
        > but
        > > > Bohemians is this insiders' thing where the club changes owners
        > > > constantly and fans/personalities donate money to keep it
        > afloat...
        > > > the rest of the CZ footbal scene is one big mafia mob, owners
        > > > corrupted and corrupting referees and what have you, but the roos
        > > > are a category on its/their own)..
        > > >
        > > > Helpfully as always
        > > >
        > > > Matej

      • grabanrad
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 9, 2008
          "Kangaroo club"? Just watching "First wifes club".

          > By the time an English-speaking foreigner watches the thing, they will
          have heard about the kangaroo mascot, plus chances are they will see it
          in the opening sequence, so I wouldn't worry about the title being
          confusing.... after all, titles are allowed to be
          confusing/controversial, especially when the meaning becomes apparent
          after watching the flick..

          > Not being a NS, I'll let you think of a Kangaroo pun, a simple
          translation along the lines you suggested, but with the hopping animal
          in it would do, but something more creative will no doubt improve
          things, turn to the home of the kangaroo for real "roo" jokes and
          colloquials, as long as they are clear to International audience - I
          think we have someone from down under here on the list..

        • coilinoc
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 12, 2008
            Thank you to everyone for their suggestions.
            In the end I proposed Jamie's "Kangaroo Confidential" to them and they
            really liked it.
            It's basically a humorous look at the inner life of four diehard
            Bohemians fans, so it kind of fits the bill here, I think...
            C.