Re: [Czechlist] Help: film title and synopsis

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 9, 2008
      By the time an English-speaking foreigner watches the thing, they will have heard about the kangaroo mascot, plus chances are they will see it in the opening sequence, so I wouldn't worry about the title being confusing.... after all, titles are allowed to be confusing/controversial, especially when the meaning becomes apparent after watching the flick..

      Not being a NS, I'll let you think of a Kangaroo pun, a simple translation along the lines you suggested, but with the hopping animal in it would do, but something more creative will no doubt improve things, turn to the home of the kangaroo for real "roo" jokes and colloquials, as long as they are clear to International audience - I think we have someone from down under here on the list..

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 9, 2008
        Sounds good, but note that there's nothing about shadows or being shadowy in the Czech title, the shades there are shades of colour, also used for shades of personality/soul in CZ....

        It's an attempt at sounding olde-wordly (note word order) and funny (see the synopsis)...

        The whole Bohemians thing is pretty unclear to even to Czech outsiders (I admit I activelly avoid anything to do with football, but would probably know a little about individual league clubs, but Bohemians is this insiders' thing where the club changes owners constantly and fans/personalities donate money to keep it afloat... the rest of the CZ footbal scene is one big mafia mob, owners corrupted and corrupting referees and what have you, but the roos are a category on its/their own)..

        Helpfully as always

        Matej

        How about "Kangaroo Confidential"? That sounds kind of shady in that
        shade sense.

        But it's probably not fitting and sounds like a comedy. But people
        will remember it.

        Jamie

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 9, 2008
          How about "The Nature and Essence of the Kangaroo Soul"?

          Or just "The Essence of the Kangaroo Soul"?

          Or just "The Nature of the Kangaroo Soul"?

          Or "The Nuances of the Kangaroo Soul" (or Mind)?

          Anything involving soccer will be lost on the enormous North American
          market. That doesn't necessarily mean failure, though, because "Bend
          It Like Bekham" was a big hit in the US, even though the title was
          deemed "unfortunate" and nobody knew what it meant. How many years
          has it been, and, despite trying, I STILL haven't been able to find
          out what it means.

          Jamie

        • Jennifer Hejtmánková
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 9, 2008
            Oh come on, Jamie - you really STILL don't know what "bend it like
            Beckham" means??? Apparently he has a knack for making the ball curve
            in strange ways into the goal - "bending it"....it's nothing more
            esoteric than that :)

            Jennifer
            ---------
            Gtalk: jenhejt | AIM: praguejen | Yahoo: maxicek | ICQ: 2969150 |
            Skype: praguejen
            Mobile: +420 739 467 439 | Fax: +420 323 601 511 | US Tel:
            +1-312-233-2938 (forwards to Skype)

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 9, 2008
              So like a baseball play throws a curve ball or a screw ball.

              How can I help it if nobody explained it to me? Even if I asked, they
              didn't explain it.

              Thank you for being the one to finally do it.

              Jamie

            • Alena Rysková 2e
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 9, 2008
                Aha,
                but the Czech title, if i am not mistaken, was Blafuj jako Bekham, and as i have not seen the film, i would say blafuj here is dribble, not bluff (or both?). What a nice job translating is!
                Alena

                So like a baseball play throws a curve ball or a screw ball.

                How can I help it if nobody explained it to me? Even if I asked, they
                didn't explain it.

                Thank you for being the one to finally do it.

                Jamie

                On Jun 9, 2008, at 11:24 AM, Jennifer Hejtmánková wrote:

                > Oh come on, Jamie - you really STILL don't know what "bend it like
                > Beckham" means??? Apparently he has a knack for making the ball curve
                > in strange ways into the goal - "bending it"....it's nothing more
                > esoteric than that :)
                >
                > Jennifer
                > ---------
                > Gtalk: jenhejt | AIM: praguejen | Yahoo: maxicek | ICQ: 2969150 |
                > Skype: praguejen
                > Mobile: +420 739 467 439 | Fax: +420 323 601 511 | US Tel:
                > +1-312-233-2938 (forwards to Skype)
                >
                > On 9.6.2008, at 17:03, James Kirchner wrote:
                >
                > > How about "The Nature and Essence of the Kangaroo Soul"?
                > >
                > > Or just "The Essence of the Kangaroo Soul"?
                > >
                > > Or just "The Nature of the Kangaroo Soul"?
                > >
                > > Or "The Nuances of the Kangaroo Soul" (or Mind)?
                > >
                > > Anything involving soccer will be lost on the enormous North
                > American
                > > market. That doesn't necessarily mean failure, though, because "Bend
                > > It Like Bekham" was a big hit in the US, even though the title was
                > > deemed "unfortunate" and nobody knew what it meant. How many years
                > > has it been, and, despite trying, I STILL haven't been able to find
                > > out what it means.
                > >
                > > Jamie
                > >
                > > On Jun 9, 2008, at 10:51 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:
                > >
                > > > Sounds good, but note that there's nothing about shadows or being
                > > > shadowy in the Czech title, the shades there are shades of colour,
                > > > also used for shades of personality/soul in CZ....
                > > >
                > > > It's an attempt at sounding olde-wordly (note word order) and
                > funny
                > > > (see the synopsis)...
                > > >
                > > > The whole Bohemians thing is pretty unclear to even to Czech
                > > > outsiders (I admit I activelly avoid anything to do with football,
                > > > but would probably know a little about individual league clubs,
                > but
                > > > Bohemians is this insiders' thing where the club changes owners
                > > > constantly and fans/personalities donate money to keep it
                > afloat...
                > > > the rest of the CZ footbal scene is one big mafia mob, owners
                > > > corrupted and corrupting referees and what have you, but the roos
                > > > are a category on its/their own)..
                > > >
                > > > Helpfully as always
                > > >
                > > > Matej

              • grabanrad
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 9, 2008
                  "Kangaroo club"? Just watching "First wifes club".

                  > By the time an English-speaking foreigner watches the thing, they will
                  have heard about the kangaroo mascot, plus chances are they will see it
                  in the opening sequence, so I wouldn't worry about the title being
                  confusing.... after all, titles are allowed to be
                  confusing/controversial, especially when the meaning becomes apparent
                  after watching the flick..

                  > Not being a NS, I'll let you think of a Kangaroo pun, a simple
                  translation along the lines you suggested, but with the hopping animal
                  in it would do, but something more creative will no doubt improve
                  things, turn to the home of the kangaroo for real "roo" jokes and
                  colloquials, as long as they are clear to International audience - I
                  think we have someone from down under here on the list..

                • coilinoc
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 12, 2008
                    Thank you to everyone for their suggestions.
                    In the end I proposed Jamie's "Kangaroo Confidential" to them and they
                    really liked it.
                    It's basically a humorous look at the inner life of four diehard
                    Bohemians fans, so it kind of fits the bill here, I think...
                    C.