Help: film title and synopsis

  • coilinoc
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 9, 2008
      Hi there,
      I have been asked to do a film synopsis for an upcoming documentary
      about Bohemians football club.

      It concerns the following:

      Odstiny duse klokani

      Usmevný zelenobily dokument o rozlicnych podobach osudoveho vztahu k
      milence Bohemce. Provazet vás budou tata Holas, herecka Jana,
      sofistikovany David, vysmátý zolik Clifton se psem Bohousem, erudovany
      sociolog a osetrovatelka klokanu v prazské ZOO. A samozrejme klokan,
      jak jste ho jeste nikdy nevideli.

      Thankfully, they are going to let me re-write the synopsis according
      to what I feel would be more comprehensible to an English-speaking
      audience. Nonetheless, I'm still not sure what to do with the title.
      I suppose "Shades of the Soul of Bohemians" might suffice, but I was
      wondering if anyone can come up with something snappier (which might
      also squeeze in the "kangaroo" element without utterly mystifying
      people...)

      MTIA for any suggestions

      Coilin
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 9, 2008
        How about "Kangaroo Confidential"? That sounds kind of shady in that
        shade sense.

        But it's probably not fitting and sounds like a comedy. But people
        will remember it.

        Jamie

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 9, 2008
          By the time an English-speaking foreigner watches the thing, they will have heard about the kangaroo mascot, plus chances are they will see it in the opening sequence, so I wouldn't worry about the title being confusing.... after all, titles are allowed to be confusing/controversial, especially when the meaning becomes apparent after watching the flick..

          Not being a NS, I'll let you think of a Kangaroo pun, a simple translation along the lines you suggested, but with the hopping animal in it would do, but something more creative will no doubt improve things, turn to the home of the kangaroo for real "roo" jokes and colloquials, as long as they are clear to International audience - I think we have someone from down under here on the list..

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 9, 2008
            Sounds good, but note that there's nothing about shadows or being shadowy in the Czech title, the shades there are shades of colour, also used for shades of personality/soul in CZ....

            It's an attempt at sounding olde-wordly (note word order) and funny (see the synopsis)...

            The whole Bohemians thing is pretty unclear to even to Czech outsiders (I admit I activelly avoid anything to do with football, but would probably know a little about individual league clubs, but Bohemians is this insiders' thing where the club changes owners constantly and fans/personalities donate money to keep it afloat... the rest of the CZ footbal scene is one big mafia mob, owners corrupted and corrupting referees and what have you, but the roos are a category on its/their own)..

            Helpfully as always

            Matej

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 9, 2008
              How about "The Nature and Essence of the Kangaroo Soul"?

              Or just "The Essence of the Kangaroo Soul"?

              Or just "The Nature of the Kangaroo Soul"?

              Or "The Nuances of the Kangaroo Soul" (or Mind)?

              Anything involving soccer will be lost on the enormous North American
              market. That doesn't necessarily mean failure, though, because "Bend
              It Like Bekham" was a big hit in the US, even though the title was
              deemed "unfortunate" and nobody knew what it meant. How many years
              has it been, and, despite trying, I STILL haven't been able to find
              out what it means.

              Jamie

            • Jennifer Hejtmánková
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 9, 2008
                Oh come on, Jamie - you really STILL don't know what "bend it like
                Beckham" means??? Apparently he has a knack for making the ball curve
                in strange ways into the goal - "bending it"....it's nothing more
                esoteric than that :)

                Jennifer
                ---------
                Gtalk: jenhejt | AIM: praguejen | Yahoo: maxicek | ICQ: 2969150 |
                Skype: praguejen
                Mobile: +420 739 467 439 | Fax: +420 323 601 511 | US Tel:
                +1-312-233-2938 (forwards to Skype)

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 9, 2008
                  So like a baseball play throws a curve ball or a screw ball.

                  How can I help it if nobody explained it to me? Even if I asked, they
                  didn't explain it.

                  Thank you for being the one to finally do it.

                  Jamie

                • Alena Rysková 2e
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 9, 2008
                    Aha,
                    but the Czech title, if i am not mistaken, was Blafuj jako Bekham, and as i have not seen the film, i would say blafuj here is dribble, not bluff (or both?). What a nice job translating is!
                    Alena

                    So like a baseball play throws a curve ball or a screw ball.

                    How can I help it if nobody explained it to me? Even if I asked, they
                    didn't explain it.

                    Thank you for being the one to finally do it.

                    Jamie

                    On Jun 9, 2008, at 11:24 AM, Jennifer Hejtmánková wrote:

                    > Oh come on, Jamie - you really STILL don't know what "bend it like
                    > Beckham" means??? Apparently he has a knack for making the ball curve
                    > in strange ways into the goal - "bending it"....it's nothing more
                    > esoteric than that :)
                    >
                    > Jennifer
                    > ---------
                    > Gtalk: jenhejt | AIM: praguejen | Yahoo: maxicek | ICQ: 2969150 |
                    > Skype: praguejen
                    > Mobile: +420 739 467 439 | Fax: +420 323 601 511 | US Tel:
                    > +1-312-233-2938 (forwards to Skype)
                    >
                    > On 9.6.2008, at 17:03, James Kirchner wrote:
                    >
                    > > How about "The Nature and Essence of the Kangaroo Soul"?
                    > >
                    > > Or just "The Essence of the Kangaroo Soul"?
                    > >
                    > > Or just "The Nature of the Kangaroo Soul"?
                    > >
                    > > Or "The Nuances of the Kangaroo Soul" (or Mind)?
                    > >
                    > > Anything involving soccer will be lost on the enormous North
                    > American
                    > > market. That doesn't necessarily mean failure, though, because "Bend
                    > > It Like Bekham" was a big hit in the US, even though the title was
                    > > deemed "unfortunate" and nobody knew what it meant. How many years
                    > > has it been, and, despite trying, I STILL haven't been able to find
                    > > out what it means.
                    > >
                    > > Jamie
                    > >
                    > > On Jun 9, 2008, at 10:51 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > Sounds good, but note that there's nothing about shadows or being
                    > > > shadowy in the Czech title, the shades there are shades of colour,
                    > > > also used for shades of personality/soul in CZ....
                    > > >
                    > > > It's an attempt at sounding olde-wordly (note word order) and
                    > funny
                    > > > (see the synopsis)...
                    > > >
                    > > > The whole Bohemians thing is pretty unclear to even to Czech
                    > > > outsiders (I admit I activelly avoid anything to do with football,
                    > > > but would probably know a little about individual league clubs,
                    > but
                    > > > Bohemians is this insiders' thing where the club changes owners
                    > > > constantly and fans/personalities donate money to keep it
                    > afloat...
                    > > > the rest of the CZ footbal scene is one big mafia mob, owners
                    > > > corrupted and corrupting referees and what have you, but the roos
                    > > > are a category on its/their own)..
                    > > >
                    > > > Helpfully as always
                    > > >
                    > > > Matej

                  • grabanrad
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 9, 2008
                      "Kangaroo club"? Just watching "First wifes club".

                      > By the time an English-speaking foreigner watches the thing, they will
                      have heard about the kangaroo mascot, plus chances are they will see it
                      in the opening sequence, so I wouldn't worry about the title being
                      confusing.... after all, titles are allowed to be
                      confusing/controversial, especially when the meaning becomes apparent
                      after watching the flick..

                      > Not being a NS, I'll let you think of a Kangaroo pun, a simple
                      translation along the lines you suggested, but with the hopping animal
                      in it would do, but something more creative will no doubt improve
                      things, turn to the home of the kangaroo for real "roo" jokes and
                      colloquials, as long as they are clear to International audience - I
                      think we have someone from down under here on the list..

                    • coilinoc
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 12, 2008
                        Thank you to everyone for their suggestions.
                        In the end I proposed Jamie's "Kangaroo Confidential" to them and they
                        really liked it.
                        It's basically a humorous look at the inner life of four diehard
                        Bohemians fans, so it kind of fits the bill here, I think...
                        C.