Re: [Czechlist] Re: Snih v predpovedi pocasi

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1 5:20 AM
      From how it sounds, this is a translation of pre-defined phrases appearing on a weather website or something like that...

      As Jamie points out, some of the terms are modern media speak - we all know how TV forcasts changed dictionary in this country only a few years ago (not to mention looks and the occassional lack of clothing)

      Some (relatively few) of these terms are metheorological, i.e. they're defined in both English and Czech as exact metheorological conditions and can be googled, google for Beaufourt scale/skala for wind terms, for example, but most are creations of someone who does not want to sound too dry or scientific, or repetitive. I've studied metheorology for both my sailing and my gliding license and I studied it in the US originally, so I should know a bit about that.

      squall is not a hulava, for example, squall is simply a short and violent storm, especially in US usage, while hulava is a local wind phenomena similar to a (horizontal) tornado, but smaller, isolated and not as dangerous

      You can't have a poryv of snow, only of wind - poryv is a gust

      As for the rest of the terms, I would try to imagine how would they be used in a media (i.e. not scientific or marine or aviation) forecast in the US (I presume the source is US ENG) and then try to find a suitable equivalendt in CZ, there may not be some, or they may be extremely long, and in some cases it might be difficult to make the same type of difference in Czech when two terms mean really the same and you don't know how they use them... you should make a note or suggest dropping those from the site if that's indeed how they are going to be used..

      Either that, or ask the client for an exact definition of the ones that are not clear, I would say they are not completely clear to natives either...