Snih v predpovedi pocasi

  • veramiltner
    Message 1 of 13 , May 30, 2008
      Dobry den,

      chtela bych poprosit, zda by mi nekdo neporadil s nasledujicimi
      vyrazy, ktere se objevuji samostatne v predpovedi pocasi:

      blowing snow
      drifting snow
      some snow
      a few stray snowflakes
      snow squalls
      periods of ice changing to snow
      snow flurries

      Jde mi prevazne o snow flurries, ktere klient vysvetlil nasledovne: a
      snow shower specially if light and brief.
      Dale o vyraz "ice" vyse. Jak ho odlisit od freezing rain?

      Ma nekdo nejake napady?

      Predem vsem dekuji za snahu a preji hezky den!

      Zdravi

      Vera
      Message 2 of 13 , May 30, 2008
        I can't remember the word "snow showers" ever being used in my
        childhood and teen years, but it's in common use now. Before that,
        everything was a snow flurry, and showers were only rain.

        However, your client has given you the correct English definition of
        "snow flurry" as found in meteorological dictionaries.

        From the sources I've checked, there's no difference between the
        "ice" mentioned in your phrase and "freezing rain". An ice storm is a
        storm made up of freezing rain. If the ice is already frozen when it
        comes from the sky, then it's sleet or hail, depending on the size of
        the pellets.

        Jamie

        On May 30, 2008, at 7:00 PM, veramiltner wrote:

        > Dobry den,
        >
        > chtela bych poprosit, zda by mi nekdo neporadil s nasledujicimi
        > vyrazy, ktere se objevuji samostatne v predpovedi pocasi:
        >
        > blowing snow
        > drifting snow
        > some snow
        > a few stray snowflakes
        > snow squalls
        > periods of ice changing to snow
        > snow flurries
        >
        > Jde mi prevazne o snow flurries, ktere klient vysvetlil nasledovne: a
        > snow shower specially if light and brief.
        > Dale o vyraz "ice" vyse. Jak ho odlisit od freezing rain?
        >
        > Ma nekdo nejake napady?
        >
        > Predem vsem dekuji za snahu a preji hezky den!
        >
        > Zdravi
        >
        > Vera

      • Šárka Rubková
        Message 3 of 13 , May 30, 2008
          Ahoj,
          tady jsou p�eklady alespon nekterych terminu:

          blowing snow - vysoko zvi'r^eny' sni'h
          drifting snow - ni'zko zvi'r^eny' sni'h
          some snow - trochu sne^hu (not sure)
          a few stray snowflakes - pa'r zbloudily'ch vloc^ek (not sure)
          snow squalls - sne^hove' hu'lavy
          periods of ice changing to snow -obdobi', kdy se zmrzly' de's^t^ me^ni' ve
          sni'h (not sure)
          snow flurries - sne^hove' pli'skanice

          snad to pomuze.
          Ostatni jsou z meteorologick�ho terminologickeho slovniku

          Sarka

          _____

          chtela bych poprosit, zda by mi nekdo neporadil s nasledujicimi
          vyrazy, ktere se objevuji samostatne v predpovedi pocasi:

          blowing snow
          drifting snow
          some snow
          a few stray snowflakes
          snow squalls
          periods of ice changing to snow
          snow flurries

          Jde mi prevazne o snow flurries, ktere klient vysvetlil nasledovne: a
          snow shower specially if light and brief.
          Dale o vyraz "ice" vyse. Jak ho odlisit od freezing rain?

          Ma nekdo nejake napady?

          Predem vsem dekuji za snahu a preji hezky den!

          Zdravi

          Vera

          Checked by AVG.
          14:53

          Message 4 of 13 , May 31, 2008
            On May 31, 2008, at 12:58 AM, Šárka Rubková wrote:

            > periods of ice changing to snow -obdobi', kdy se zmrzly' de's^t^
            > me^ni' ve
            > sni'h (not sure)

            That is what I understand when I hear the term in English.

            > snow flurries - sne^hove' pli'skanice

            Make sure this involves fluffy snow and not sleet.

            Jamie
          • Valerie Talacko
            Message 5 of 13 , May 31, 2008
              yes - snow flurries aren't pliskanice. They're those short snow showers that
              are reasonably intense while they last, but don't last very long. The snow
              comes in proper flakes, though.

              Valerie

              On May 31, 2008, at 12:58 AM, Šárka Rubková wrote:

              > periods of ice changing to snow -obdobi', kdy se zmrzly' de's^t^
              > me^ni' ve
              > sni'h (not sure)

              That is what I understand when I hear the term in English.

              > snow flurries - sne^hove' pli'skanice

              Make sure this involves fluffy snow and not sleet.

            • grabanrad
              Message 6 of 13 , May 31, 2008
                Hi,

                How about the following:
                blowing snow - vysoko zvi'r^eny' sni'h
                drifting snow - ni'zko zvi'r^eny' sni'h
                some snow - obcasne snezeni
                a few stray snowflakes - místy slabé snežení
                snow squalls - snehové boure
                periods of ice changing to snow - obcasné krupice se snehem
                snow flurries - poryvy snehu

                Correct my Czech.
                Rad

                Message 7 of 13 , May 31, 2008
                  On May 31, 2008, at 7:36 AM, grabanrad wrote:

                  > drifting snow - ni'zko zvi'r^eny' sni'h

                  This would involve snehove zaveje.

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 31, 2008
                    On May 31, 2008, at 7:36 AM, grabanrad wrote:

                    > periods of ice changing to snow - obcasné krupice se snehem

                    This is wrong, because what you're describing is called "freezing rain
                    mixed with snow".

                    "Periods of ice changing to snow" means that freezing rain falls for a
                    while, and then over time it changes into snow. The result on the
                    ground would be an ice layer with a layer of particulate snow on top.

                  • grabanrad
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 31, 2008
                      How about something like "promenlive pocasi s krupici a snehovymi
                      prehankami".

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 31, 2008
                        Also (just an idea) for "drifting snow" - "tvorba snehovych jazyku" and
                        "blowing snow" - "chumelice".

                        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "grabanrad" <grabanrad@...> wrote:

                        > How about something like "promenlive pocasi s krupici a snehovymi
                        > prehankami".
                        >

                        > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner jpklists@ wrote:
                        > >

                        > > On May 31, 2008, at 7:36 AM, grabanrad wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > periods of ice changing to snow - obcasné krupice se snehem
                        > >
                        > > This is wrong, because what you're describing is called "freezing
                        rain
                        > > mixed with snow".
                        > >
                        > > "Periods of ice changing to snow" means that freezing rain falls for
                        > > while, and then over time it changes into snow. The result on the
                        > > ground would be an ice layer with a layer of particulate snow on
                        top.

                        > > Jamie

                      • Jennifer Hejtmánková
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 31, 2008
                          I would disagree with this - I don't think flurries need to be
                          particularly intense...I would call THAT a snow shower. Flurries are
                          just the little 10-15 minute falls that don't amount to much more than
                          a dusting - "no significant accumulation"...

                          From weather.com":

                          SNOW FLURRY/FLURRIES
                          Light showers of snow, generally very brief without any
                          measurable accumulation. May be reported as "SHSN--" in an observation
                          and on the METAR.

                          SNOW SHOWER
                          Frozen precipitation in the form of snow, characterized by its
                          sudden beginning and ending. It is reported as "SHSN" in an
                          observation and on the METAR.

                          JMO...

                          jen
                          ---------
                          Gtalk: jenhejt | AIM: praguejen | Yahoo: maxicek | ICQ: 2969150 |
                          Skype: praguejen
                          Mobile: +420 739 467 439 | Fax: +420 323 601 511 | US Tel:
                          +1-312-233-2938 (forwards to Skype)

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 31, 2008
                            That's what I had in mind, too - when I said relatively intense, I think I
                            meant that I associate them with little gusts of wind blowing the snowflakes
                            about...

                            I would disagree with this - I don't think flurries need to be
                            particularly intense...I would call THAT a snow shower. Flurries are
                            just the little 10-15 minute falls that don't amount to much more than
                            a dusting - "no significant accumulation"...

                            From weather.com":

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 1, 2008
                              From how it sounds, this is a translation of pre-defined phrases appearing on a weather website or something like that...

                              As Jamie points out, some of the terms are modern media speak - we all know how TV forcasts changed dictionary in this country only a few years ago (not to mention looks and the occassional lack of clothing)

                              Some (relatively few) of these terms are metheorological, i.e. they're defined in both English and Czech as exact metheorological conditions and can be googled, google for Beaufourt scale/skala for wind terms, for example, but most are creations of someone who does not want to sound too dry or scientific, or repetitive. I've studied metheorology for both my sailing and my gliding license and I studied it in the US originally, so I should know a bit about that.

                              squall is not a hulava, for example, squall is simply a short and violent storm, especially in US usage, while hulava is a local wind phenomena similar to a (horizontal) tornado, but smaller, isolated and not as dangerous

                              You can't have a poryv of snow, only of wind - poryv is a gust

                              As for the rest of the terms, I would try to imagine how would they be used in a media (i.e. not scientific or marine or aviation) forecast in the US (I presume the source is US ENG) and then try to find a suitable equivalendt in CZ, there may not be some, or they may be extremely long, and in some cases it might be difficult to make the same type of difference in Czech when two terms mean really the same and you don't know how they use them... you should make a note or suggest dropping those from the site if that's indeed how they are going to be used..

                              Either that, or ask the client for an exact definition of the ones that are not clear, I would say they are not completely clear to natives either...

                              a few stray snowflakes - místy slabé snezení
                              snow squalls - snehové boure
                              periods of ice changing to snow - obcasné krupice se snehem
                              snow flurries - poryvy snehu

                              Correct my Czech.
                              Rad
                              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "grabanrad" <grabanrad@...> wrote:

                              > Hi,
                              >
                              > How about the following:
                              > blowing snow - vysoko zvi'r^eny' sni'h
                              > drifting snow - ni'zko zvi'r^eny' sni'h
                              > some snow - snehové prehánky
                              > a few stray snowflakes - místy slabé snezení
                              > snow squalls - snehové boure
                              > periods of ice changing to snow - obcasné krupice se snehem
                              > snow flurries - poryvy snehu
                              >
                              > Correct my Czech.
                              > Rad
                              >

                              > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, ©árka Rubková rubkova@
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Ahoj,
                              > > tady jsou pøeklady alespon nekterych terminu:
                              > >
                              > > blowing snow - vysoko zvi'r^eny' sni'h
                              > > drifting snow - ni'zko zvi'r^eny' sni'h
                              > > some snow - trochu sne^hu (not sure)
                              > > a few stray snowflakes - pa'r zbloudily'ch vloc^ek (not sure)
                              > > snow squalls - sne^hove' hu'lavy
                              > > periods of ice changing to snow -obdobi', kdy se zmrzly' de's^t^
                              > me^ni' ve
                              > > sni'h (not sure)
                              > > snow flurries - sne^hove' pli'skanice
                              > >
                              > > snad to pomuze.
                              > > Ostatni jsou z meteorologického terminologickeho slovniku
                              > >
                              > > Sarka
                              > >
                              > > _____
                              > >
                              > > From: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Czechlist@yahoogroups.com]
                              On