Re: [Czechlist] Re: HELP: Tric

    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 2008
      I thought the "organ grinder" was the person playing the hurdy gurdy.
      Various dictionaries back that up, for example:

      Merriam-Webster
      > one that cranks a hand organ; especially : a street musician who
      > operates a barrel organ

      Random House
      > an itinerant street musician who earns a living by playing a hand
      > organ or hurdy-gurdy.

      I've checked some English sources, and they just talk about hurdy
      gurdy strings being sounded by a "rosined wheel". Here is a diagram
      of hurdy gurdy parts:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Hurdyparts.png

      Jamie